Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #1

12V not powering lights or blower for furnace

Hi all,

I had an issue this weekend while camping in my (new to me) 1999 Flagstaff Classic 620 Tent trailer. I did not have shore power, so was going to rely on my 12V battery. I was unable to use any interior/exterior lights, but more importantly, I couldn't get the blower in the furnace to work. I had the camp host hook up a trickle charger to the battery, and it seemed like it had a good charge. It would seem to me that the 12V "should" allow for the lights to work, and power the blower, so I can then turn on the propane and have the furnace working. Is this how it should be, and if so, why did I not get power from the battery?

I' am very new to trailers, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Sid_Fishious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Did you check the sink switch?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #3

Hi TURBS,
I have been reading about this switch, I haven't noticed it before, but when I get home I will have a look.

Thank you for helping
Ben
Old 06-20-2016, 04:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_Fishious View Post
Hi TURBS,
I have been reading about this switch, I haven't noticed it before, but when I get home I will have a look.

Thank you for helping
Ben

Just remember the heater draws more DC power than all the other loads combined! The battery must be in good shape to last all night. How did you determine it seemed in good shape? Most accurate are the chemical or accurate voltmeter method.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 05:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Just remember the heater draws more DC power than all the other loads combined! The battery must be in good shape to last all night. How did you determine it seemed in good shape? Most accurate are the chemical or accurate voltmeter method.

The camp host hooked it up to a trickle charger, and the test button read about 75%. Not sure if that's telling me what's left in the battery though. Also, it should have been charging for the drive there on my 7 pin connection. But even if the battery was really low, shouldn't the interior/exterior lights still work?

Thank you
Old 06-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid_Fishious View Post
The camp host hooked it up to a trickle charger, and the test button read about 75%. Not sure if that's telling me what's left in the battery though. Also, it should have been charging for the drive there on my 7 pin connection. But even if the battery was really low, shouldn't the interior/exterior lights still work?

Thank you
Yes. Even with a low battery lights though dim should work. Carry or borrow a simple $3.00 or free HF volt meter. Start with all turned off and check battery voltage at rest. Anything above 12.2 volts though low, should make lights work. At rest a battery is at 100% at about 12.7 volts. Start following battery feed. Should or may go to an inline fuse as our old trailer did,. Or small circuit breaker often on or near the tongue. From there it will go to your converter and or the fuse panel. Those will be usually like an automotive fuse. There ought to be voltage on both sides of the fuse. By this point u will likely have found the trouble. If not. Come back here with more info. If fixed come back here and Pat us on the head so we know we helped. Good luck.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Yes. Even with a low battery lights though dim should work. Carry or borrow a simple $3.00 or free HF volt meter. Start with all turned off and check battery voltage at rest. Anything above 12.2 volts though low, should make lights work. At rest a battery is at 100% at about 12.7 volts. Start following battery feed. Should or may go to an inline fuse as our old trailer did,. Or small circuit breaker often on or near the tongue. From there it will go to your converter and or the fuse panel. Those will be usually like an automotive fuse. There ought to be voltage on both sides of the fuse. By this point u will likely have found the trouble. If not. Come back here with more info. If fixed come back here and Pat us on the head so we know we helped. Good luck.
Thank you Tom48. I dropped my battery off to a mechanic buddy of mine and apparently its pooched. He is going to hook up a deep cycle battery this weekend and go over all electrical with me, so I will report back with the findings.

Again, thank you all for helping, I'm really glad to have joined this forum.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:36 PM   #8

Fuses?

You did not mention any fuses. Each circuit should be on its own fuse. They could be blown or missing.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #9

Had this same problem and found that the connection at the galley was loose. With lowering and raising, it seems to pull loose a bit. It was easy to reconnect and has stayed connect during recent trips.
Remark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:18 PM   #10

Thanks guys, I have my mechanic buddy going over everything this weekend, so will let you guys know his findings.

Thanks again
Old 06-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #11

So I had two things wrong I found out. One, which I mentioned before, was that my battery was toast. The second was one of the fuses under the converter cover. Replaced that, hooked up a battery, and everything works.
Thank you all for your tips and info
Ben

Tags
furnace, light, power