Old 06-19-2018, 09:05 PM   #1

12V power ports question

I see a lot of info on installing expensive and complicated inverter systems. Which are the RIGHT way to do it. I have a 2016 Cherokee Grey Wolf 26RR Toy Hauler, and it comes with a 12v power port (we used to call them cigarette lighter plugs) situated right next to the antenna switch and TV mount. It's like they meant for me to plug a cheapo 400W inverter into it to power my TV. So I did. And it worked great for 2 seasons. I even ran an extension cord into the bedroom and powered another LED TV and a DVD player on it. And that even worked, for a while. Then it started giving me grief.

I started getting low voltage alarms and shutdowns on the inverter. Swapped out the inverter, same thing. So, I added a power port in the bedroom next to the USB charger port, using the same wiring, for a second smaller inverter to power the bedroom TV. Now I just get low voltage alarms on both of them.
I assume the wiring into those ports is way too thin, causing the alarms. But not sure why it worked before? And, if their not intended for this, what is that power port there for?

Either way, all I want to power is those TV's and DVD player. Any advice how to do it cheaply and without drilling a bunch of holes?

Thanks.

Gary44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:23 PM   #2

If it worked before, but not properly now it seems like a battery issue.
Check the battery voltage while not on shore power and let us know the results.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #3

Make sure the cigarette lighter type socket doesnt have burned contacts.

They were never really designed for high currents over a long time.

A 400 watt inverter will be drawing over 30 amps at full load. TV and DVD player may draw less but anything over 15 amp can accelerate corrosion on the contacts and lead to low voltage alarms. 15 amps into an inverter is only 180 watts.

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power