Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2018, 06:43 AM   #1
Member
 
bigt1739's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Western CT
Posts: 53
12v power problem

I’m plugged in to shore power, all 120v systems are working...I have no power on the 12v side. Battery shows 2/3 on “performance center lights”. Gonna start looking into it, where should I Start??
__________________

bigt1739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt1739 View Post
I’m plugged in to shore power, all 120v systems are working...I have no power on the 12v side. Battery shows 2/3 on “performance center lights”. Gonna start looking into it, where should I Start??
Start by putting a piece of tape over the "performance center lights". NOT. But seriously, those lights give you very quick general information. It's time to break out a Multimeter. Check your "converter" volt 120 circuit breaker. Check your TWO 30 or 40 reverse polarity fuses. They are side by side on the converter. Check your battery disconnect switch if you have one. See if you slide will move, check the voltage on your batteries. you want 12.5 or better. 13 or better with the converter on. That should keep you busy till breakfast.
__________________

__________________
2002 27rk Wildcat 5er.
Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Retired Master Electrician.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Start by putting a piece of tape over the "performance center lights". NOT. But seriously, those lights give you very quick general information. It's time to break out a Multimeter. Check your "converter" volt 120 circuit breaker. Check your TWO 30 or 40 reverse polarity fuses. They are side by side on the converter. Check your battery disconnect switch if you have one. See if you slide will move, check the voltage on your batteries. you want 12.5 or better. 13 or better with the converter on. That should keep you busy till breakfast.
By "performance center lights" I'm guessing your reading the Tank fill and not the battery. My lights for the battery say C, G, F, and L. Tanks say F, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3, and E
__________________
2002 27rk Wildcat 5er.
Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Retired Master Electrician.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #4
Member
 
bigt1739's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Western CT
Posts: 53
Thanks for the replies. Battery not charging. Reading 2v...I’ll get into it more when I get home. Luckily I was able to get the awning (no slides) in by hooking another battery up...my guess is I’ll be getting a new inverter/converter this week
bigt1739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
western NC mountains!
 
formerFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: western NC mountains!
Posts: 1,203
check your 12v 'cutoff'(salesman's switch), usually by the entrance door.
__________________

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 200w/10amps mobile SOLAR
85,000+mi, US, Alaska, Canada, western NC for now : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #6
Pickin' & Campin'
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 7,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt1739 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Battery not charging. Reading 2v...I’ll get into it more when I get home. Luckily I was able to get the awning (no slides) in by hooking another battery up...my guess is I’ll be getting a new inverter/converter this week
Don't jump to conclusions.
Check the things cavie mentioned.
It may be operator error.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Don't jump to conclusions.
Check the things cavie mentioned.
It may be operator error.
Ditto; except, even if the batteries are disconnected the converter should still supply 12 volts to the coach with shore power connected.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
cavie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Posts: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Ditto; except, even if the batteries are disconnected the converter should still supply 12 volts to the coach with shore power connected.
That is correct. That's why I mentioned the reversible fuses and the converter breaker. Everyone wants to take the easy way out and just replace things instead of fixing the problem and learning something along the way.
__________________
2002 27rk Wildcat 5er.
Port Charlotte Fl/Hinsdale Ma
Retired Master Electrician.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
Member
 
bigt1739's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Western CT
Posts: 53
Fuses are good....rang them out with a meter...breaker is good and there is line voltage (120v) to the inverter..battery reads 2/3volts...I hooked up another battery and everything came to life.
bigt1739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt1739 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Battery not charging. Reading 2v...I’ll get into it more when I get home. Luckily I was able to get the awning (no slides) in by hooking another battery up...my guess is I’ll be getting a new inverter/converter this week
Don't know if your coach has one but if you have an emergency start function you could have used that to get the awning retracted. That way the chassis battery would have been supplied power. Could have started the engine beforehand also. Just a thought.
__________________

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
power

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.