Old 06-24-2018, 06:43 AM   #1

12v power problem

I’m plugged in to shore power, all 120v systems are working...I have no power on the 12v side. Battery shows 2/3 on “performance center lights”. Gonna start looking into it, where should I Start??

bigt1739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigt1739 View Post
I’m plugged in to shore power, all 120v systems are working...I have no power on the 12v side. Battery shows 2/3 on “performance center lights”. Gonna start looking into it, where should I Start??
Start by putting a piece of tape over the "performance center lights". NOT. But seriously, those lights give you very quick general information. It's time to break out a Multimeter. Check your "converter" volt 120 circuit breaker. Check your TWO 30 or 40 reverse polarity fuses. They are side by side on the converter. Check your battery disconnect switch if you have one. See if you slide will move, check the voltage on your batteries. you want 12.5 or better. 13 or better with the converter on. That should keep you busy till breakfast.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Start by putting a piece of tape over the "performance center lights". NOT. But seriously, those lights give you very quick general information. It's time to break out a Multimeter. Check your "converter" volt 120 circuit breaker. Check your TWO 30 or 40 reverse polarity fuses. They are side by side on the converter. Check your battery disconnect switch if you have one. See if you slide will move, check the voltage on your batteries. you want 12.5 or better. 13 or better with the converter on. That should keep you busy till breakfast.
By "performance center lights" I'm guessing your reading the Tank fill and not the battery. My lights for the battery say C, G, F, and L. Tanks say F, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3, and E

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
Old 06-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. Battery not charging. Reading 2v...I’ll get into it more when I get home. Luckily I was able to get the awning (no slides) in by hooking another battery up...my guess is I’ll be getting a new inverter/converter this week
Old 06-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #5
western NC mountains!

check your 12v 'cutoff'(salesman's switch), usually by the entrance door.

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 200w/10amps mobile SOLAR
85,000+mi, US, Alaska, Canada, western NC for now : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 08:38 AM   #6
Pickin' & Campin'

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Battery not charging. Reading 2v...I’ll get into it more when I get home. Luckily I was able to get the awning (no slides) in by hooking another battery up...my guess is I’ll be getting a new inverter/converter this week
Don't jump to conclusions.
Check the things cavie mentioned.
It may be operator error.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Don't jump to conclusions.
Check the things cavie mentioned.
It may be operator error.
Ditto; except, even if the batteries are disconnected the converter should still supply 12 volts to the coach with shore power connected.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Ditto; except, even if the batteries are disconnected the converter should still supply 12 volts to the coach with shore power connected.
That is correct. That's why I mentioned the reversible fuses and the converter breaker. Everyone wants to take the easy way out and just replace things instead of fixing the problem and learning something along the way.

Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 AM   #9

Fuses are good....rang them out with a meter...breaker is good and there is line voltage (120v) to the inverter..battery reads 2/3volts...I hooked up another battery and everything came to life.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Don't know if your coach has one but if you have an emergency start function you could have used that to get the awning retracted. That way the chassis battery would have been supplied power. Could have started the engine beforehand also. Just a thought.

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power