Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #1

12v powerless

I have a 2017 wolf pup limited and had a power surge. Now no interior lights work, radio no work and water pump no work. Bath fan works, awning control works. When on 110, ac fine, microwave fine, tv fine. Power cord (furrion) all leds out and at camper also. Please, any clues?
JD54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #2

Check your 12 volt fuses, including the ones to protect the converter.
Old 10-21-2018, 04:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Check your 12 volt fuses, including the ones to protect the converter.
Bath fan and awning are 12 volt so some 12 volt is working. Check ALL your 12 volt fuses with a meter. Don't just look at them.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #4

I've check all fuses and breakers in distribution panel. Reset all breakers and pulled each fuse to check. I also checked fuse for water pump and all looks good. It seems battery isn't charging when connect to 30 amp box on house and also appears that camper not receiving power from battery. No lights when connected or on battery. Tried to rest relay underneath by battery. Odd thing is, bath fan and awning work, but nothing else. A real head scratcher here. Ty
JD54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:57 PM   #5

The power inverter/convertor may have a reset switch.
JS Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Could have tripped the 12v resettable circuit breaker that has a tiny black reset button.
On TTs, it's usually tucked along the A-frame.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Could have tripped the 12v resettable circuit breaker that has a tiny black reset button.
On TTs, it's usually tucked along the A-frame.
OP has 12 volt fan and awning.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:00 AM   #8

Are they all wired the same?
Old 10-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD54 View Post
I have a 2017 wolf pup limited and had a power surge. Now no interior lights work, radio no work and water pump no work. Bath fan works, awning control works. When on 110, ac fine, microwave fine, tv fine. Power cord (furrion) all leds out and at camper also. Please, any clues?
A power surge would have taken out fuses before it affects wiring or end of circuit devices 99.99% of the time - that's what the fuses are for. You have some 12V power - some circuits work, some don't. Again, points to fuses. Looking at them is insufficient; you must check resistance or conductivity with a meter/tester.

just my experiences
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
A power surge would have taken out fuses before it affects wiring or end of circuit devices 99.99% of the time - that's what the fuses are for. You have some 12V power - some circuits work, some don't. Again, points to fuses. Looking at them is insufficient; you must check resistance or conductivity with a meter/tester.

just my experiences
Fred W
Fuses do not protect from power surges. Fuses protect from wires over heating and starting fires and protect from to much amperage on the wire. That is all a fuse is intended to do. A large power spike can get right past a fuse and distroy electronic equipment. Surge protectors protect from high voltage power strikes and nothing more.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Fuses do not protect from power surges. Fuses protect from wires over heating and starting fires and protect from to much amperage on the wire. That is all a fuse is intended to do. A large power spike can get right past a fuse and distroy electronic equipment. Surge protectors protect from high voltage power strikes and nothing more.
Depends on the ramp-up time of the power surge. Lightning strikes get past fuses before the fuse blows. Surges from shutting off motors usually blow a fuse before damaging end equipment.

In this case, the OP said the surge (he didn't specify lightning or other) came from campground power and into the camper via his 120V connection. To get into the 12V system, the surge had to go through 2 breakers (expected slow response), through the converter, and into the 12V distribution panel where it passed through numerous fuses.

DC motors typically aren't destroyed by a surge - so I have to wonder why the water pump isn't working. Awning and fans - also DC motors - are fine. All AC appliances - which are typically more susceptible to damage from surges, especially TV and microwave - are also fine. With all AC working and all the problems on the DC side, highly unlikely it was a powerful lightning strike.

Until I know which DC devices are on which circuit, I still lean on some fuses being blown as the first place to check, along with a real possibility of the converter no longer functioning correctly.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power