Old 02-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #11

the, there was one poster who made an awesome setup for the front of his rig. panels could turn & tilt. I just can't find the original post.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #12

I found a pix of that setup, but my apologizes to the original poster as he deserves the credit. What a great idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120830_072331.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	24160

again, not my idea. Hopefully the person who made this will chime in.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Drinkin beer on the beach

That was my original plan, too. On a pole, with a side of pole or top of pole mount. He probably gets great charging results. Better than roof mounted panels.

I was concerned with transporting and moving and damaging the panels, and again, longer setup and breakdown (Which already seems to take way longer than it should). And of course, 100 new holes in a brand new under-warranty roof...

I ended up with cheap and easy Z brackets and panels flat mounted to the roof. Again, I guess simplicity and ease of use were my priorities. And mine are always on, always plugged in, and always charging. I have an extension cord that I made to keep my truck plugged into the trailer (its always had a problem with running down the battery because it sits for weeks and months at a time.) Also, when I take off to go riding, or hiking, its one less thing I worry about walking off...
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #14

Thanks for the pic. That's kind of what I was thinking. I wish I could see the pivot area in a little more detail.
I had the same thoughts rattling around in my brain. Holes in roof, hauling and set up, panels walking off, etc. I have a feeling that after a couple times I'll be mounting them on the roof. I'm still a little leery about the permanent wiring. The portable wiring seem like it would be a no brainer.

Now back to equipment selection.
I've been looking at this 130w rv kit on unlimited-solar.com for about $350. The problem is, if I decide to add another panel I've already out grown the 10amp controller. Correct?
I may call and see if they will substitute a 20 - 30 amp controller.
I will probably pay more for a kit, but for my first venture into solar it might be best.

Thanks again for your advise guys!
Old 02-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #15

130watt is good for minimal draw on batteries such as lights and normal parasitic draws & maybe the inverter for an hour or so while watching a LED tv. depends. with solar, more is better. Remember that shade, clouds, and hot weather will lower their output. Also, two panels means your boondocking trip won't be over if one breaks.

Also note that if you intend to upgrade batteries, that you will need a minimal charge current based on the AHr rating of the batteries. You can get that value will come from the battery Mfg website.

BTW, 2 x 140Watt 12V panels are about $365 at solarblvd.com.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
130watt is good for minimal draw on batteries such as lights and normal parasitic draws & maybe the inverter for an hour or so while watching a LED tv. depends. with solar, more is better. Remember that shade, clouds, and hot weather will lower their output. Also, two panels means your boondocking trip won't be over if one breaks.

Also note that if you intend to upgrade batteries, that you will need a minimal charge current based on the AHr rating of the batteries. You can get that value will come from the battery Mfg website.

BTW, 2 x 140Watt 12V panels are about $365 at solarblvd.com.
Those look a lot like the DMSOLAR panels I and many others have bought. Link below. Pretty good shipping and they are $320 for a pair of them. Shipped to the house they are around $400.

http://www.amazon.com/145w-Polycryst.../dp/B007VPQP5Q
Old 02-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #17

yeh, they are spec the same. and cheaper too!

Tags
12 volt, solar