Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #1

12volt battery of Rockwood

Is the 2018 Forest River Rockwood 2902 WS equipped with a way to keep and recharge the 12volt battery thats on the tongue hitch? One person told me it was equipped with a charger that recharges the battery when a have camper is plugged in 50amp service. Another person told me that it doesn't come with a charger and I would to buy a battery charger to recharger the battery. I'm new to Forest River so any suggestions will help....
mfpender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #2

Yes, it charges the battery when the rig is connected to power. FYI, some rigs have a battery disconnect. You'll have to make sure that isn't disconnected for it to charge. Easy way to know is to see if your interior lights work when not connected to AC power. If not, you need to check that disconnect switch. All of the Rockwood's I've seen use a push/pull type switch with a chrome knob- usually located by the interior fuse panel-which is also the converter that charges the battery, btw.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #3

Thanks, I see a big red switch on the inside of the tongue hitch that has "Battery Disconnect" written on it. I guessing is the switch that you mentioned. It has a red turn knob on it.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #4
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpender View Post
Thanks, I see a big red switch on the inside of the tongue hitch that has "Battery Disconnect" written on it. I guessing is the switch that you mentioned. It has a red turn knob on it.
Aha! A used trailer, right? The previous owner (PO) added that. Depending on how many modifications (mods) the PO did, you could be in for interesting discoveries as you go along.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #5

No.... We brought it brand new. The red switch is on the inside the tongue hitch tucked up under the gas bottles... Maybe its the switch for the electric jack on the front. If so I will look harder for it on the inside.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:54 PM   #6

Quote:
No.... We brought it brand new. The red switch is on the inside the tongue hitch tucked up under the gas bottles... Maybe its the switch for the electric jack on the front. If so I will look harder for it on the inside.
That is the disconnect switch, my '18 2509S has the same one. As long as it is on and you are plugged in the camper has a converter that will charge it up.
Abendage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #7

To charge (from camper convertor) your battery, you do not really 'need' a 50 Amp out side power source. Get a 'step down' 'pig tail', for a 110v if you are close to a 'house' power source. You can not 'run' the
AC or micro wave oven as this will cause a breaker trip.

https://www.amazon.com/Proline-Power...igtail+adapter

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Dealer should know if it has a battery disconnect...

It is easy to tell if it goes to the switch/jack/battery or under unit/battery/switch.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #9

Battery Disconnect

Quote:
That's where Forest River installed my disconnect.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
Site Team

All RVs have Converters, which have a battery charging feature when plugged into shore power. It is inside the trailer, usually behind the fuse/breaker panel.

I'm sorry you got such a lousy PDI from the dealer.
Stuff like that should be part of a good PDI.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:54 PM   #11
Just as confused as you

Sorry, I'm late to the party. If you need help understanding the electrical or your RV then check out the info gathered by wmtire. The links are below. I added the link for "The 12 Volt Side of Life" to the list. Read what interests you but I suggest you check out all of them.

The “12 Volt Side of Life” file is on Forest River Forums in the Library > Power and Electrical section in the light green bar at the top of the page and is a download and is found here. Forest River Forums - Downloads - 12 volt side of Life

The links below were compiled by another member of FRF.

Disclaimer: These links and articles were compiled by wmtire. He is a site team member of forestriverforums (FRF). If you give thanks, then give it to him. I had nothing to do with gathering the information, I’m just passing it along.

“I always recommend these following links to newer RV owners. It explains a RV's different electrical systems, as well as what works off of 120 volt AC vs. 12 volt DC. Not knowing your RV experience, The below is a copy and paste, and I usually recommend it to those just starting out. Some of it, you may already know, or may not be applicable to your particular RV. You will be able to filter out what pertains to your situation or not. I would suggest you read the electric threads and energy management first, and then the converter thread. This will help explain your different electrical systems of your RV, and how they operate...as well as what the converter does. The very first link will explain what operates off what system.” - wmtire

Basic electric:

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter3.php

RV Electric

Your very important converter:

RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Inverters and residential refrigerators in RV's:

http://rveducation101.com/articles/rvinverters.pdf

More reading so you understand the different electrical systems of your RV.

Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)

Installing a dedicated 30 amp RV outlet at home:

How to wire a RV 30 amp outlet

Suburban water heater (if applicable to your RV):

Suburban's electric switch and much more

Suburban Water Heater Video Guides

Water Heater bypass/crossover valves:

NO (OR LUKEWARM) HOT WATER -Please read first

And the newest additions to help understand what constitutes a true full cylinder in refilling vs exchanging propane cylinders... as well as how the automatic propane changeover regulator works:

Propane Cylinders (Refilling vs Exchanging)

Propane automatic changeover regulator
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:32 PM   #12

Smile Battery disconnect switch

My new 2503S has the switch mounted in front under the propane tanks. It’s big and red. I put it in the disconnect position when stored on my driveway. I take the battery out and put on a charger on my work bench. The day before I head out I put the battery back in, connect to 110 volts AC, turn the big red switch on and then turn the fridge on to get it cold. If you leave the battery in you should use the switch to disconnect the battery as the gas sensors will eventually run the battery down. One other thing, your slide should work OK if plugged into shore power with the battery disconnected. Mine does but it’s a small slide.
MadDog2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Aha! A used trailer, right? The previous owner (PO) added that.
Quote:
FR has been using those for the last few years instead of the push/pull switches. If it's like mine, the red "key" will come completely out of the socket and hang by a cable when in the disconnect position. To connect, you just line up the pin and push it in while turning.

Tags
battery, rockwood