Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #1

Angry 12volt converter question.

My 37 foot Daydreamer has 2 converters. They are both the same WFCO55 amp unit's model # WF-9855. This past weekend started having lights dimming up and down followed later by near blackout off and on. Lights would get very dim.

I took the panel off to access the converter that's when I found there were 2. One was not running at all. The other one would turn off and on at random sometimes staying on longer than the next time. They are both getting a constant 120 volts. The one that is not ever running has no output at all or at least not enough to light a test light. When the other one is running the lights work fine. I think they are both bad.

I hooked up a small battery charger to the batteries and the lights are fine and the converter that was running some of the time does not come on with the battery charger turned on.

I cant find any wiring diagram how 2 converters are wired or why it needs 2. Do I need to replace both of them? The RV does have 2 batteries but I don't think that's why it has 2 converters.

Appreciate any help on this. thanks.
Jerry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B
My 37 foot Daydreamer has 2 converters. They are both the same WFCO55 amp unit's model # WF-9855. This past weekend started having
lights dimming up and down followed later by near blackout off and on. Lights would get very dim. I took the panel off to access the converter thats when I found there were 2. One was not running at all. The other
one would turn off and on at random sometimes staying on longer than the next time. They are both getting a constant 120 volts. The one that is not ever running has no output at all or at least not enough to light a test light. When the other one is running the lights work fine. I think they are both bad. I hooked up a small battery charger to the batteries and the lights are fine and the converter that was running some of the time does not come on with the battery charger turned on.
I cant find any wireing diagram how 2 converters are wired or why it needs 2. Do I need to replace both of them? The rv does have 2 batteries but I dont think thats why it has 2 converters.
Appreciate any help on this. thanks.
Do you have pics of your units ?
Also in the files section (upper left hand of web page ) theres a section for troubleshooting of your converters

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #3

I too am a little curious, he has two converters on a 37'? Must be a motor home. My 35' TT only has 1 converter and is also doing the dimming light dance. Tomorrow evening I am going to break out my laptop and look t the troubleshooting section on the converters. So far, my battery checks out.
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:11 AM   #4

It is a fth wheel trailer. The fridge is 110 volt only, does not work on gas. Trailer has 2 batteries. I dont know if if there is any kind of relay that isolates the converters but they both have a constant 110v going in to them. It appears to me that they both work at the same time. I would like to know how this works. Seems to me you could be overcharging the batteries. I think one of them has been bad for quite awhile. I brought that one home and checked it on a bench. There is nothing comming out. I drilled out the pop rivets that held the cover on just to take a look inside but dont see anything obvious. Alot of electronic stuff in there. I turned the batteries off on the trailer to see what would happen and when the other converter was on and had lights of course but all went out as soon as it went off. I'm sure it's bad too. Sometimes will run for only 20 to 30 seconds before cycling off and batteries were nearly dead. It should power all light without batteries even being installed. I'm going to the RV dealer to see if anyone will talk to me about it but pretty sure I'm just going to buy 2 new converters
Old 10-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Jerry,

I have never heard of your setup before. The only thing I can add is the troubleshooting guide for WFCO converters and some graphics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WF8900.jpg
Views:	13632
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	20196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Project1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	20198   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drawing.jpg
Views:	2216
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	20199  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf wf9800.pdf (815.9 KB, 146 views)
File Type: pdf WFCO 8900 Troubleshooting guide.pdf (4.69 MB, 383 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #6

The rv dealer tech says he has never seen two converters. Suspects that someone added one at some point for some unknown reason. WE did buy it used. We are only the second owner. Anyway I have a new converter ordered and will install it this weekend and just cover the wires to the other one.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd still like to see pics of this set-up.

Turbs
Old 10-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #8

Not much to see. One converter bolted to the floor and the other just above it mounted on the wall close to the hot water heater. One plugs into the back of the main breake box which you can see the back side of it the other just plugs into a 110 volt recepticle.
then both have a big red and whites wire attached to the positive and negative 12v output terminals of the converters. I have not tried to run down exactly where the 12v wires go.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do u have 50 amp service ?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #10

Yes to 50 amp service.
Thanks for your interest.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My guess each converter runs off one leg vs two legs powering each side of the breaker panel of one .

Is that correct ?
Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B View Post
Not much to see. One converter bolted to the floor and the other just above it mounted on the wall close to the hot water heater. One plugs into the back of the main breake box which you can see the back side of it the other just plugs into a 110 volt recepticle.
then both have a big red and whites wire attached to the positive and negative 12v output terminals of the converters. I have not tried to run down exactly where the 12v wires go.
OH! I think you only have one "converter" not two. The one bolted to the floor is the actual converter and the one on the wall is the "power center."

The power center provides the 120 VAC to the converter that sends 12 VDC back to the power center to power the fuses.

My buddy's Montana has this set up.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Kinda why I wanted to see a pic of the setup.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #14

Any chance the one connected to the a/c bus w/large DC leads is really an inverter??
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #15

My inveter is in a different place . These converters are both the same with the same part# same company both 55 amp output. I have a new one ordered, a different company. Having brain fade right now cant remember what kind.

Tags
12 Volt