Old 09-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
You can't just assume that the "hot will alternate". It totally depends on how the electrician wired up those two 30-amp outlets in the pedestal. That's the whole point of measuring for 240v to see if, in fact, they are alternating.
Barry, I thought most 50 amp campers are wired with most accessories on one of the hot legs and only the second A/C on the other leg. This is where the 15/30 cheater came into play so those could get the second A/C running.

IF this is still the case I don't think there would be an issue overloading the neutral.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:20 PM   #12

You won't over load the neutral with the 15/30 adapter. 15+30=45 amps. If the outlets are from the same leg of source, the neutral will only have a maximum of 45 amps. If the outlets are from opposite legs of source, the neutral will have 15 amps for 1/120 of a second and then 30 amps for 1/120 second and then 15 amps for 1/120 second, etc, etc.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 ThunderRoad View Post
You won't over load the neutral with the 15/30 adapter. 15+30=45 amps. If the outlets are from the same leg of source, the neutral will only have a maximum of 45 amps. If the outlets are from opposite legs of source, the neutral will have 15 amps for 1/120 of a second and then 30 amps for 1/120 second and then 15 amps for 1/120 second, etc, etc.
He isnt using a 15/30 its a 30/30 for a total of 60 potential amps. If the two 30 amp plugs are not split phase then you could overload the neutral
Old 09-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acableguy06 View Post

Barry, I thought most 50 amp campers are wired with most accessories on one of the hot legs and only the second A/C on the other leg. This is where the 15/30 cheater came into play so those could get the second A/C running.

IF this is still the case I don't think there would be an issue overloading the neutral.
I'm glad to see (in later posts) that you see the potential problem. I can't speak to "most campers", but in mine, both ACs are on the same leg, with much of the other "stuff" on the second leg. I agree with you that having <20 amps potential load on one of the legs also makes the problem go away. (That comes under the category of manually managing that you stay under 50 amps to me.)

How likely is this to happen? Lets assume that we have two electricians wiring up the campground. The Master electrician knows that the loads need to be shared between the split phases so he wires up the red wire to the hot of one of the 30-amp outlets and the black wire to the hot of the second 30-amp outlet. He wired up a few of the pedestals and then leaves the rest for the Apprentice electrician.

The Apprentice knows there's a color scheme that makes everything easy. On 50-amp outlets you connect up the Green, White, Red, & Black. On 30-amp outlets, you wire up the Green, White, and Black. Two 30-amp outlets in a box? No problem! They both get wired to the black (white & green).

Do you know which electrician wired up your pedestal? Only one way to know for sure.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Has the OP tried to get by with just the 30amp plug? I can run both my a/c's on a single 30, along with what we normally use in the camper. Of course, water heater is on propane. Without looking back, was there a 15/20amp circuit in the pedestal at all? If so, (and not a GFI), could use 15/30 pigtail and not worry about any of it.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #16

Thanks for the replies. Most of it is over my head but I think I follow some of it. To answer ttrost65, I did use the 30 for the weekend. I ran both A/C's only once during the heat of the day. Everything else was off except the satellite/2 TV's. As we approached dinner my wife used the microwave and the circuit tripped. Shut off the rear A/C, reset and proceeded without any further skips. We took the grandbaby and wanted to wash some of his clothes, but I assumed the dryer would do the same as the microwave. The box I used had 2 30 plugs w/separate breakers and a normal plug with a 20 amp breaker. I just don't enjoy having to pay that much attention to what I use when I'm trying to tailgate. If the 30/30 to a 50 won't work then I guess I will have to manage without.

Thanks again for the info.

JJ
Old 09-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If the 15 is not a GFI, you could use the 30/15 and be fine.