Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #1

2 battery w/switch wiring schematic

Hey everyone, Does anyone have an updated wiring schematic for parallel wiring of 2 batteries, I did a search and in those old posts the diagrams werent showing up so can anyone help me out? I want to use one of those red battery switches also because in my setup I need the extra battery when I cant run a genny at night and want to run my suburban furnace. With one battery it shuts down after a couple of minutes. but its fine with shore power. thanks again
sprayking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayking View Post
Hey everyone, Does anyone have an updated wiring schematic for parallel wiring of 2 batteries, I did a search and in those old posts the diagrams werent showing up so can anyone help me out? I want to use one of those red battery switches also because in my setup I need the extra battery when I cant run a genny at night and want to run my suburban furnace. With one battery it shuts down after a couple of minutes. but its fine with shore power. thanks again
If you are adding another battery you would be very wise to install a matched new set vs adding a new one with your old battery.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #3

Oh yeah, I plan on going in to Interstate and get a pair of group 27's.
I want to fab a battery dual battery box and vent it under the front storage I am just not sure if I want to punch a hole through exterior of the TT for the vent, I could of course mount it where the single batt box is now right in front of the propane tanks but I sure would want that weight pushed back in the trailer tho.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:13 PM   #4

you could go with sealed batteries as well. you would not need to vent the enclosure. just another option for you to think about.

to wire 2 12v batteries in parallel, you just hook up positive to positive, then negative to negatiive. make sure the cables are the same length and thick enough gauge.

then to connect the battery bank to your trailer, connect to a negative terminal of 1 battery and the positive terminal of the other battery (the connections should not be on only 1 battery, but across the bank).

i'm assuming the red switch you are taking about is a battery cut off? if so, put that inline with the positive feed from the battery bank to the trailer.
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #5

sprayking

Not sure if yo are say you want to install two 12 volt batteries or two 6 volt battereis.
Here is the two ways to get 12 volt outputs.
Attached Images

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #6

Yes I want to use two full size 12 volt batteries and mount them in my front storage compartment, (which is under the bed). So I wanted to make a box and vent it but as Himcules said I might want to use sealed batteries. I have looked around on the net but there was a few different ways to do it so I thought I would double check it here and see if anyone had done any of these mods. Yes I asked about the red battery switch that lets you switch the batteries and combine them also. If I wire them in parallel I do not need the switch?? hmm. I guess I better be a good forum member and do some searching on recent posts with these types of mods.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #7

To piggy back off this thread, I had a couple questions. My wifes Uncle just gave us his newer (less than a year old) 12V battery since he switched to 6V. I was planning on parallel wiring both 12V batteries but it turns out his is a group 31 and mine is a group 27 so I won't be doing that anymore. I was going to look into some sort of switch to flip back and forth between each battery, but since this is our first trailer (first trip next week) I don't plan on doing it right away.

My plan is to not mount the battery box, I will just leave the battery in the box in the pass thru storage. When my group 27 gets low I will take the group 31 out and disconnect the group 27 and hook up the group 31. My plan was to just leave the group 31 on the ground when hooked up.

I know it seems like a pain, but it's something I am willing to do for now since it's a free group 31 battery and we already purchased a new group 27. I guess my only question is will there be any issue leaving the battery on the ground while it's hooked up?
Rookie_Mistake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #8

Thats exactly what I've been doing too, but no switch just disconnecting wires and reconnecting wires. So now I want to put a battery box in my pass through storage with one of those red battery switches with them both wired in. So they both get charged when genny is on during the day. anyways remember if you wire them together they should be a matching set of batteries, also having it resting on the ground has never been a problem for me but there is a lot of battery myths out there. FYI , I originally wanted to add the second battery to run the furnace at night when I could not run my genny but it seems that would drain the heck out of both batteries so I changed my plan and purchased a vent free propane heater so now I am in no rush for the second battery. I am fine with one battery for the lights, pump, etc.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
If I wire them in parallel I do not need the switch?? hmm. I guess I better be a good forum member and do some searching on recent posts with these types of mods.

Yes, but if you keep a matched set you only need an "ON/OFF" switch.

I am not a fan of sealed batteries because they are expensive and have low AH ratings for the cost. Flooded cell batteries have much higher AH ratings per dollar.

However, having ruined more than one set of clothes getting the batteries in and out of the camper, I can certainly see the advantage.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #10

sprayking

Also remember that you double the amperage rating but you are not increasing your battery charger output rating.
So what this means it will take double the time to charge them at your existing charger rate.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
sprayking

Also remember that you double the amperage rating but you are not increasing your battery charger output rating.
So what this means it will take double the time to charge them at your existing charger rate.
This is correct, you are pumping twice the number of electrons in there. Filling a bathtub takes less time than a swimming pool. The plates can only take so many electrons at a time without overheating when charging. As they fill you have to slow down the rate you pump the electrons in. That is why a multi stage charger is so important.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #12

Herk, Originally I wanted a schematic for the wiring of the dual battery switch and batteries just like your setup except for 2 12 volt batts, but yes I know I do not need the switch, Just the "disconnect" switch. Then I found that my furnace would not run for many hours with 2 batteries anyway. So I then trashed the idea and bought a vent free heater and small solar panel to trickle my single battery during the day. 1 single optima battery will run my pump, lights, and keep my fridge on for a couple of days. during the day I can run my genny but the converter does not charge very well, but it does charge some. hope my rambling makes sense
Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Herk, Originally I wanted a schematic for the wiring of the dual battery switch and batteries just like your setup except for 2 12 volt batts, but yes I know I do not need the switch, Just the "disconnect" switch. Then I found that my furnace would not run for many hours with 2 batteries anyway. So I then trashed the idea and bought a vent free heater and small solar panel to trickle my single battery during the day. 1 single optima battery will run my pump, lights, and keep my fridge on for a couple of days. during the day I can run my genny but the converter does not charge very well, but it does charge some. hope my rambling makes sense
I am using 2 - 12 volt batteries.
I don't know how you got the idea that I was not...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My wiring diagram.jpg
Views:	3627
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	29997  
Old 05-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #14

Thx, Sorry I thought you had a 6volt setup. I was reading a lot of threads so I got mixed up