Old 06-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
PT Crew Member - 10/2013

2 Electrical Questions

We have a 2015 LaCrosse 328RES. I was told many things by the dealer that I have forgotten by now, but two things seem pertinent now.
1. I think I was told when I hook up to shore power for storage I should use the switch to disconnect the batteries. My question is should I disconnect the batteries every time I connect to shore power, such as when we are camping, or only for longer storage times?
2. There is an on/off switch on our inverter controller. Should I turn the inverter off when hooked to shore power, especially if I'm suppose to disconnect the batteries?
Thanks.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:39 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim49 View Post
We have a 2015 LaCrosse 328RES. I was told many things by the dealer that I have forgotten by now, but two things seem pertinent now.
1. I think I was told when I hook up to shore power for storage I should use the switch to disconnect the batteries. My question is should I disconnect the batteries every time I connect to shore power, such as when we are camping, or only for longer storage times?

2. There is an on/off switch on our inverter controller. Should I turn the inverter off when hooked to shore power, especially if I'm suppose to disconnect the batteries?
Thanks.
My thoughts:
1. Depends on the converter (actually battery charger that also provides DC for internal lighting and other DC uses such as fridge, etc...) If it is a single stage dumb charger that only puts on 13.8 volts, then yes, disconnect the batteries after they are charged from shore power. Leaving them on for long periods can overcharge them. If you have a smart triple or 4 rate converter, then you can leave the batteries on the whole time.

2. Didn't know that the camper comes stock with an inverter (an inverter converts battery 12V DC to 120V AC). If you have an inverter than by all means, no need for it to be producing 120V AC when you are plugged into shore power. If it is a converter and your batteries are switched off, then yes, you will need the converter to power essential 12V items such as lightening, fridge controller, water pump, etc..etc..

Good luck and enjoy your camper, it is VERY NICE.

Old 06-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim49 View Post
Thanks.
I agree with TonyD...
When people say disconnect the batteries when stored, typically there isn't shore power; unless you provide a means to keep the batteries charged, they need to be disconnected after fully charging them. If they are allowed to run totally dead, they could be damaged to the point of needing to be replaced. The CO detector and a few other 12 volt devices (radio, for instance) have what is called parasitic load, even when turned off.

If I "store" my trailer, with shore power, I don't disconnect anything; but I do have a 4 stage charger and check battery fluid levels routinely. Keeping the converter on is what keeps your batteries full. You mentioned having an inverter, I will wager a guess that you meant converter, which changes AC volts to DC, providing 12 volts to the coach as well as charging the batteries, which you will want to leave on.
WW
Old 06-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #4
Some guy in back...

Hi-
From the floor plan I looked at, it seems you have a residential refrigerator that works only on electricity, either supplied by the outside shore power connection (when you plug in the trailer) or from batteries and an inverter (while you are driving or parked for short periods (getting fuel or having lunch while traveling).
When you are camping, you are probably connected to shore power and so do not need the inverter to be on. The refrigerator will operate just like at home. It's worthwhile to keep the batteries connected to keep them charged.
When you are driving and want to have the refrigerator stay cold, the batteries should be connected and you need to turn on the inverter. it will draw power from the batteries and keep the refrigerator operating.
When the trailer is stored, if it's plugged in to shore power, the inverter should be turned off and it's your choice to leave the batteries connected or disconnected (there are lots of discussions and details you can get into in this decision).
If you want the refrigerator on while the trailer is plugged in in storage, turn it on. If you want it off, turn it off and make sure to prop the doors open for air circulation, otherwise the interior could get ugly with mold.
If the trailer is not plugged in while the trailer is in storage, turn off the refrigerator, turn off the inverter, prop open the refrigerator doors and disconnect the batteries.

I know it can seem complicated, but maybe make up a "cheat sheet" and refer to it while you get accustomed to the new trailer. pretty soon it will be second nature!

Cheers
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
PT Crew Member - 10/2013

Thanks all for your quick responses. I do have an inverter and it is smarter than me, as I just discovered it knows when I am connected to shore power and apparently turns itself off. How cool is that? Do I can leave it manually turned on and rely on it to turn itself on/off as needed.
Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #6

Keep the disconnect switch on so the inverter runs, otherwise the battery won't charge.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
Pickin' & Campin'

I don't know which model converter you have in your 328RES but most modern converters are designed to be more than a 'single stage dumb converter.'

Converters are designed to charge your battery(ies) and run the 12v loads within your rig.
They work better when having the battery bank connected as a load. Some converters do not handle 'no load' (batteries disconnected) situations very well.

My advice... keep the batteries connected anytime you are plugged into shore power and check your electrolyte as often as needed.

Disconnect the batteries for storage when NOT connected to shore power.

You already figured out the answer to your inverter.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical