Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #1

2 newbie questions: does converter auto-switch + mystery toggle switch

Hi there. I'm helping my dad who just bought a 2009 Forest River Flagstaff travel trailer which, naturally, didn't come with any manuals. I found the ultra-generic trailer manual online and we've been able to figure most stuff out but we still can't answer two questions. I hope smarter people than me here on the forums can help me out.

On the control center there is an illuminated toggle switch that is a mystery (see the attached pic to see the red switch lit up on the left). When I turn it on I can hear what sounds like a fan activate in the WFCO power converter. What exactly does this switch do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-691209499.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	30857

Also, if we disconnect from shore power, does the power converter automatically switch over to 12v battery power, and vice versa? Or do we need to switch something manually (like the mystery glow switch)?

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #2

The output of the converter is connected to your house battery. It charges the battery, and together (in parallel) they are both used to power all of your 12 volt equipment. There is no need to do anything to activate the 12 volt devices when disconnecting from shore power as long as the battery is charged.

I can only guess about the mystery switch. Is it possibly turning an inverter on and off? When disconnected from shore power, see if it switches any 120 volt devices and / or outlets on and off.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #3

I see that at least some Flagstaffs offer a "heated holding tank" option. My guess is that this turns on those holding tank heaters.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I see that at least some Flagstaffs offer a "heated holding tank" option. My guess is that this turns on those holding tank heaters.
Agree, it could engage the tank heaters.

When a certain amount of electricity goes through the power center, then the fan will come on.....at least in ours. I can have a couple of lights on, then 1 more on, and the power center fan will engage. Turn of the 1 light again, and it goes off. Turning on the tank heaters probably puts your power center fan "over the edge".

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #5

Owl: that's a good idea. I'll be able to try that test later this afternoon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Barry: a heated holding tank? You mean the tanks holding the waste water? What's the point of that feature? (I'm picturing a piping hot stew of bodily waste. Yum!)
Old 05-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #6

Oh wait. That's for cold weather camping, isn't it? For not knowing that, I think that automatically revokes my Canadian citizenship.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benchmark View Post
Barry: a heated holding tank? You mean the tanks holding the waste water? What's the point of that feature? (I'm picturing a piping hot stew of bodily waste. Yum!)
It's for freezing weather. Not something you will use in above-freezing temperature. "Stew" is better than ice if its going to crack your holding tanks. (While we're on the subject, if that is what these are, you need to turn them on several hours before a freeze. They don't provide a lot of energy so have to have time to work, and they will turn themselves off when what they're heating gets above ~50 degrees F.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #8
Site Team

one suggestion, get rid of that crappy analog thermostat and install a digital one, such as a Hunter or Honeywell.
costs about $25.

i agree that the illuminated switch is probably the tank heaters.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #9

so, is the digital thermostat going to need to be a 12v model? I'd like to change mine out..hand't thought of it til now....
Old 05-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #10

Thanks to everyone who responded. Considering the model of the trailer, the fact we're in Canada and that the underside of the trailer is completely enclosed, I'm sure you're right that the switch controls holding tank heaters. Thanks for clearing up the only mystery of my dad's new trailer that we couldn't solve.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doverfel View Post
so, is the digital thermostat going to need to be a 12v model? I'd like to change mine out..hand't thought of it til now....
Yes, a residential T-Stat runs on about 27 VAC. An RV T-Stat will need to be 12 VDC.
sandkreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandkreese View Post
Yes, a residential T-Stat runs on about 27 VAC. An RV T-Stat will need to be 12 VDC.
not true. the Hunter and Honeywell digital thermos are battery-powered and don't need 12vDC or 110vAC to run. they can work with either.

if you simply Google: Hunter thermostat in RV, you'll get all kinds of info.
or simply do a search on any RV forum.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #13

You are correct for some reason I ignored the word digital I guess!

Travel Trailer - 2014 - Salem 26TBUD
Tow Vehicle - 2004 F150 SuperCrew 4X4 Lariat 5.4L
Nights Camped 2014 - 5; Scheduled - 6
Old 05-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #14

The more I think about my first the dumber I feel! It just switches the voltage on and off so it does not matter. Sorry again you caused a lightbulb moment for me.

Travel Trailer - 2014 - Salem 26TBUD
Tow Vehicle - 2004 F150 SuperCrew 4X4 Lariat 5.4L
Nights Camped 2014 - 5; Scheduled - 6