Old 04-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #1

2009 Rockwood 8319 electrical problems

We used it for two years on a lot at the lake with no problem, had it plugged in full time. Then I moved it twenty feet from where it was and installed a 30' extention cord. Six months later things started to stop working, first was the light over the sink and a couple other lights. then the TV and the heat and air. Breakers and fuse panel have power but it keeps blowing the two 40amp fuses. HELP where do I start?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #2

Check your battery, might be defective and reason blowing 40 amps reversing fuses on converter......

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch413 View Post
We used it for two years on a lot at the lake with no problem, had it plugged in full time. Then I moved it twenty feet from where it was and installed a 30' extention cord. Six months later things started to stop working, first was the light over the sink and a couple other lights. then the TV and the heat and air. Breakers and fuse panel have power but it keeps blowing the two 40amp fuses. HELP where do I start?

Thanks in advance
Are you talking about the reverse polarity fuses. If so, then could be because the battery may be hooked up backwards. Have you recently disconnected or changed the battery?

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #4

I changed the battery two months ago, how do you reverse fuses on converter?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

I thought I put the wires back the same way they came off. Red to poss and Black to neg right?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I changed the battery two months ago, how do you reverse fuses on converter?
You actually don't reverse the fuses, you reverse the wires incorrectly on the battery.....which blows the reverse polarity fuses thus saving your converter. If the reverse polarity fuses didn't blow, then it would ruin your converter if you hooked the battery wires backwards. (which happens a lot)

Old 04-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
I thought I put the wires back the same way they came off. Red to poss and Black to neg right?
Are you sure your RV had a red and black wire...or was it a white and black wire?

Many RV's are wired kinda using a 120 volt wiring color scheme. If you have a white and black wire, then usually the black wire is the positive on the battery and the white is the negative.

If you do have the vehicle 12 volt wiring color scheme, then yes it's usually the red on the positive and the black on the negative.

You would think they would make it simple. The best way is to trace the wiring if you can and see.

However, if you have it hooked backwards it should be blowing the reverse polarity fuses almost instantly from when you put them in, as long as you are not utilizing a battery cutoff switch or something.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:21 PM   #8
Site Team

One more question, you said you moved it several feet and now are running it off of an extension cord. What kind of cord are you using, and what kind of outlet are you plugged into now?

I hope you are not running the air conditioner while using an extension cord and plugged into a 15/20 amp regular household outlet.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #9

i have done the same on the batter cables lol
Old 04-10-2015, 12:54 PM   #10

wmtire, I don't remember what color the wires are but I will find out tonight, I very well may have them in reverse order. So the 40amp fuses are for if it was hooked up backwards? It is still plugged into the same 30 amp outlet and the exten. cord is a camper 30 amp cord. I will look tonight and make sure the red is on poss and the white is on neg. Thank you so much

Tags
electric, electrical, rockwood