Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #1
Rockwood 23ss men falls

2014 electrical outlet problem

My 2014 roo 23ss has the passenger side outlets are out. Resetting GFI socket and breaker didn't work outlets on driver side are ok. No other issues with 110 system.

Any ideas?
jaws2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
LDW

I am having the same issue with a SolAire 199x except it is the driver side. Two outlets are working normal five are dead. Pulled all five outlets and made sure the wires were making contact by stripping back a little of the wire and reseating, they are making good contact inside the outlet. All five are still dead. The GFI outlet is working and one in the kitchen area is working. TV outlet is dead, bathroom outlet is dead, plugs at bed ends are dead and outside outlet is dead.

Anyone else have any ideas?
LDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Pull breaker and make sure the wire is secure in it. Might try taking the wire from the breaker for the 5 dead outlets and hook it to the one with live outlets and see if it works. Could be a bad breaker.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
LDW

Will check the breakers again. None had tripped.

I have a circuit tester that you plug in and the five non functioning outlets read (OPEN NEUTRAL).

Any guesses?

Trailer is a 2014 and still under warranty, the dealer is 2 1/2 hours away on a good traffic day so was trying to fix it without taking it back to them.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Rockwood 23ss men falls

Would it make sense it's a breaker if only part of them work? I called my dealer he though I burned a wire by overloading it but why would you have a Fri and circuit breaker then. Seems to me there is something faulty in the way forest river wired it.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Rockwood 23ss men falls

That was GFI not Fri. Damn phone!
Old 06-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #7

Have you tried turning the breakers off & then then turn them back on? Here in our home if a breaker throws that is what I have to do.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
MC9

Had a similar problem on my last rig. Turned out the box serving the slide-out was not grounded to the frame properly. The mounting screw had broken during assembly.
MC9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDW View Post
Will check the breakers again. None had tripped.

I have a circuit tester that you plug in and the five non functioning outlets read (OPEN NEUTRAL).

Any guesses?

Trailer is a 2014 and still under warranty, the dealer is 2 1/2 hours away on a good traffic day so was trying to fix it without taking it back to them.
Might see if the ground wire for that circuit came loose in the box with the breaker.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
LDW

Wouldn't they all be out if it was a loose wire at the breaker? Two work just fine.

I thought it had to be a loose wire in one of the affected boxes which would make all those downstream also not work. So I took all the boxes loose one at a time and stripped back a little wire and reseated all the wires. So I know I have good contact in all the boxes. I even did the ones that were working and I took the GFI box loose and checked that those wires were making good contact.

Could a box be bad?
Old 06-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDW View Post
Wouldn't they all be out if it was a loose wire at the breaker? Two work just fine.

I thought it had to be a loose wire in one of the affected boxes which would make all those downstream also not work. So I took all the boxes loose one at a time and stripped back a little wire and reseated all the wires. So I know I have good contact in all the boxes. I even did the ones that were working and I took the GFI box loose and checked that those wires were making good contact.

Could a box be bad?
Could be just the neutral and/or ground wire of the romex going to the breaker in the breaker box, not the individual boxes. The neutrals and grounds all go to a common terminal inside the breaker box.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
LDW

Looks like tomorrow I will be looking at the breaker box. Didn't really want to go there but you do what you have to do sometimes.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #13
Rockwood 23ss men falls

Well, solved the problem when I got home. The romex from GFI to outdoor outlet under awning must have failed or fried. I replaced it with new Rolex and the outlets are all working. Either the original romex was damaged during building my unit and failed when overloaded or the circuit breakers and GFI failed to protect from a overload. Makes me wonder how safe my Roo is?
Old 08-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #14
Rockwood 23ss men falls

Additional note; the Refrigerator outlet in access panel failed too and I had to rewire that too. Seems that the GFI was not wired correctly either with "line in" mixed up. I replaced GFI outlet and everything is now working.