Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 06:19 AM   #1

Unhappy 2014 rockwood roo 233s power issues

Recently my home AC went out so we were using our camper to beat the heat in our driveway. I decided to try using a permanent plug in in my house panel box and accidently plugged into a 220 outlet (oven) which immediately zapped everything in the camper . I unplugged quickly and waited a few minutes and plugged back into a 110 outlet and it ran fine for a day or so and then everything shut down again. I checked the 40 watt fuses for reverse polarity and both were fine. I have power going in to the outside Furrion screw on receptacle even though one of the 3 prongs shows some heat discoloration on the shore plug in side. I have power 123 volts to several of my outlets and most of the beakers as well. The AC unit breaker only showed 75 VOLTS or so. The bottom inverter fan seems to come on momentarily for a few seconds and then cuts off. I checked the GCFI and it is ok . Any ideas? I am wondering if I may have burnt the neutral wire going from the outside plug in to the panel box maybe ?
roymercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 06:32 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Anytime you plug your camper into 220v appliances are going to get ruined.
It happens quite often.
A burnt end on your cord or receptacle needs to be fixed immediately.
If appliances are not working there's a good chance there fried.
I hope you get worked thru the gremlins.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
Site Team

You almost always lose the converter in this scenario. It may give up the ghost immediately or very shortly thereafter. The converter reverse polarity fuses have to do with hooking up your 12 volt DC battery backwards, and nothing about 240 volts AC.

The converter is what converts 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC. The converter is what provides power to all of your 12 volt DC things (lights, pumps, fans, thermostats, fridge on 12 volt, etc) when you are connected to 120 volt shore power. The converter also recharges your battery. When the converter gets fried by 240 volts, then your 12 volt stuff will operate off the battery up until the point the battery depletes since the converter cannot recharge it.... so all the aformentioned items will quit once the battery depletes. You can usually just hook up a battery charger, and recharge your battery to get those items going again.

That fan your hearing and not hearing is to the converter....not inverter. They are two different things with oft confused terminology.

The television and microwave are other likely candidates for replacement too. Sometimes though the microwave has an internal fuse that can be replaced.

As long as your air conditioner was not on, when you hooked to 240 volts, it's usually spared. However, if you tried to turn it on during the voltage overload, then you may have problems there too.

I hate to hear these stories, but as Turbs said it happens a lot. You'll get past it. I will find some similar threads that may help you, but it will be after I get to work.

I would just about bet that a converter replacement is in your immediate future.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:14 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymercer View Post
Recently my home AC went out so we were using our camper to beat the heat in our driveway. I decided to try using a permanent plug in in my house panel box and accidently plugged into a 220 outlet (oven) which immediately zapped everything in the camper . I unplugged quickly and waited a few minutes and plugged back into a 110 outlet and it ran fine for a day or so and then everything shut down again. I checked the 40 watt fuses for reverse polarity and both were fine. I have power going in to the outside Furrion screw on receptacle even though one of the 3 prongs shows some heat discoloration on the shore plug in side. I have power 123 volts to several of my outlets and most of the beakers as well. The AC unit breaker only showed 75 VOLTS or so. The bottom inverter fan seems to come on momentarily for a few seconds and then cuts off. I checked the GCFI and it is ok . Any ideas? I am wondering if I may have burnt the neutral wire going from the outside plug in to the panel box maybe ?
On a separate issue, but pertaining to electrical things. When you say you are now plugged into a proper 120 volt outlet, may I ask exactly how/what you are plugged into?

The reason for this, even though you may have possibly saved your air conditioner from damage due to the 240 volts mishap, you may be now damaging it another way by being hooked into a 15 amp outlet, and/or are using an undersized extension cord.

Here is some more good reading by Mark Polk:

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...lectricity.asp

Most campgrounds you go to will provide you with a 30 Amp outlet that your RV power cord will plug directly into. If you go to a campground that has a regular house type outlet there are adapters that you can use to go from your RV plug to the house type outlet. When you do this you are plugging into a 15 Amp or 20 Amp power source. This means you will be limited as to what appliances you can run in your RV. It is even possible to damage some appliances if they are not getting the required amperage to operate properly. Let’s say for example you plug into a 15 Amp outlet and you are using a small appliance that is drawing 5 Amps, that leaves you with 10 Amps. Now you turn the roof air conditioner on and when the air conditioner compressor engages it needs about 13 Amps, but it’s not available, and it damages the air conditioner compressor.

-----------------------------------------

I just now noticed your screen name and just have to ask, "how big a boy are you?"

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lol missed the Roy d

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
Old 07-20-2015, 08:56 AM   #6

well BY GOD !!!
sounds like I may have screwed the pooch badly !
I have a 10 gauge cord running to it now off of a 30 AMP breaker in my main box . Any way to trouble shoot the converter ? I can get to it pretty easy. I was also going to check the ferrion screw in receptacle on the outside. Pull it back and see if my neutral wire is burnt. Any good places to get a new converter if needed ?
Thanks for all the help so far!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #7
Site Team

Similar situations, with things to look for that were damaged:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ent-53755.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ure-51106.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ent-44632.html

Old 07-20-2015, 09:05 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
well BY GOD !!!
Ok, that more than cracked me up. I am laughing big time. I'm probably going to have to get one of his CD's out of my truck now and listen to it.

Depending on what converter you have, will depend on where you can get a replacement. This may also be a good time to decide if you may possibly want to upgrade, depending on what you have currently.

Also glad to hear about how you are connected currently. That knocks that potential problem out.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
Site Team

Here are some troubleshooting converter links:

RV Services Online - Troubleshooting - Power Converters

RV Camper Power Converter How To, Troubleshoot, Repair, and Replace the Converter FAQs

Old 07-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #10

Converter shot! ordered the PD4655D upgrade from Progressive Dynamics today. I hope this is all that is bad.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Converter shot! ordered the PD4655D upgrade from Progressive Dynamics today. I hope this is all that is bad.
If it helps, you have other Roy Mercer fans hoping the same for you.

Please keep us apprised of this, and if it's just the converter (fingers crossed). Have you been able to check the television or microwave (if equipped)?

P.S. Here is a RV related Mercer clip:

Old 07-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Question. ...... why a 4655d?
Other then it's a drop in replacement.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "15 nights"
Old 07-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #13

now that was a classic RD !
I GOT THE 4655 D because it said it was the replacement for that . Should I have gotten something different ? It has not shipped yet.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I GOT THE 4655 D because it said it was the replacement for that . Should I have gotten something different ? It has not shipped yet.
No your fine, was just wondering.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "15 nights"
Old 07-22-2015, 12:21 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
I just have to share one of my favorites from him. I will justify the off-topic postings as it just being a placeholder to keep the thread active until you receive/replace your converter and update us if it solved everything.

When he called up professional wrestler Bill Goldberg and threatened him, it had me rolling. I love the ludicrous stories he always comes up with to try and get money.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #16

Good news ! I got the new converter in and everything is working but the microwave. it is a magic chef and i pulled it out and don't see a fuse on the outside. could it be inside the back or top cover possibly ?
Old 07-26-2015, 05:00 PM   #17

i spoke to soon. our fridge seems to be not cooling down. does it have a fuse other than the fuse box ?
Old 07-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #18

Quote:
i spoke to soon. our fridge seems to be not cooling down. does it have a fuse other than the fuse box ?
Yes, there is a fuse on the power control module cover in the rear of the refer.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:20 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
How long did you give to cool down?
It will need at least 5-6 hours.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #20

I have a 2016 Forest River A frame. This weekend nuker, radio, outside yard light, night light and outlets all worked but not the fan or the lights on the sides. Could this be fuse blown?
Thank-you
michelleg
michelleg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, roo, 233, power, rockwood roo, 233s, 2014