Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2018, 08:56 AM   #1

2017 Greywolf 19RR - Lost power to Awning

Hi all!
After replaced a new AC/DC converter, I've just noticed that there is no power to the awning. Everything else is working.
I checked all the fuses, and they are good. The GFI outlet in the bathroom was stripped, so I guessed there is a short somewhere, but I have no idea where to start.
I have tried to search for a wiring diagram for my trailer, 2017 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR, but no success.
Any leads or suggestions where I can start to troubleshoot would be appreciated.
Nick
Additional 10K Haier Portal Generator
Recurve Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #2

Any help?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #3

Try pulling the switch panel and checking for power at the switch. If you have voltage there you can check for power to the motor by probing at the power lead which runs down one of the awning channels mounted to the trailer siding.
Norcalace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
Site Team

Also, your awning may have its own fuse separate from the main fuse panel.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:42 AM   #5

I have seen some awnings inline fused directly off the battery.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:43 PM   #6
HDU

I can't comment on your 19, but my 26RR has the powered awning. My rocker switch is cheesy on mine. It doesn't always operate correctly and I have to push it excessively for it to make contact some times.
If you can't find any other good suggestions, I would probably take my switch panel off that contains the rocker switch for the awning. Put a voltmeter on it and see if power is getting to the switch, that should help you determine if it is more in the awning itself, or if it is upstream from the switch.
HDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recurve Bow View Post
Hi all!
After replaced a new AC/DC converter, I've just noticed that there is no power to the awning. Everything else is working.
I checked all the fuses, and they are good. The GFI outlet in the bathroom was stripped, so I guessed there is a short somewhere, but I have no idea where to start.
I have tried to search for a wiring diagram for my trailer, 2017 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR, but no success.
Any leads or suggestions where I can start to troubleshoot would be appreciated.
Nick
Trying to find a fuse for my awning (HG 28rlt) was like looking for fairies, never did and probably never would find it. After running with no awning in some pretty hot weather, I decided to run it out manually and Lo, found the problem.

After unscrewing the motor assembly from the arm and almost dropping it (it is heavy), something I didn't need to do as it turned out, I discovered that the connector between the cable (from the supply end) and the awning motor (up near the motor) had come apart.

So, lower the awning using an electric drill and socket, look at the cable connector on the motor tail wire. If it is together, pull it apart and then push it back together. Test.

I also pulled a bit more wire up to give it (a little) bit of slack. No problems since.

So why did I remove the motor if I didn't need to? I dropped the socket into the cowling and had to open the motor cover to retrieve it. BUT, the motor cover is all that holds the motor to the arm. Undo the TWO screws, everything drops, cover, motor, arm, awning, etc.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #8

Thanks so much for all the tips. I will have to come back to work, and i will tackle this annoying issue.
I hope it will a easy fix. Crossing my fingers.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
RiderBloke

Awning motor

My 26RR’s awning motor stopped working (outside warranty of course). I went over it all with a multimeter, removed it and reinstalled it and greased it etc but to no avail. I ended up replacing it but kept the motor to see if I (or a smarter friend) can get inside it to see what went wrong. I do think the motors are a little underpowered and the gears need lubricating right from delivery. There are some on the forums somewhere who claim it is just a windscreen winder motor. The connections are poor as stated by others.
Good luck with it.
Habitat Care-a-Vanner
RiderBloke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, power