Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

2018 RW 2906 - Every 110 outlet on a single 15amp breaker?

Just wondering if this is normal or not?

We discovered that our 2018 RW 2906 has every 110 outlet on a single 15amp breaker. Is that normal? I mean, wouldn't it be better to have half the TT on 15amp and the other half on 15amp? Our TT is 50amps, but you can never run 2 small space heaters as it will trip the only breaker. (15amps) (we had one in the bathroom and one in the living room... poof... nope, not happening)

Is this something I can take down to a RV service place and get a second 15amp breaker wired in?

Thanks!

James
2012 Ram 2500HD 6.7L Cummins
Equal-i-zer 4 Point Hitch
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
Site Team

It's a lot more common than it should be. I believe that every RV should have at least two circuits for receptacles.

The code figures 180va (volt-amps) per receptacle (1.5 amps) so they allow 10 receptacles on a 15 amp circuit and 13 on a 20 amp circuit. Of course the RV mfg.s are going to use every bit of that if they can.

Our RV had all 9 receptacles on the same circuit. I have split it into two since I was working on changing the 30 amp service to a 50 amp service. and the way our unit was laid out it wasn't a big pain to do.

As for your unit, it all depends on how the unit and the existing electrical is laid out as to how easy it would be to split the circuit, or even add a couple of receptacles to the existing panel. It's hard to tell from the online pictures, how it may be laid out electrically.
Old 12-26-2018, 01:02 PM   #3

RV manufacturers figure that people buying them are buying them for "Recreation" purposes rather than portable "homes". They also figure more units will be used in warmer summer months than in freezing cold winters.

The 50 amp power feed is mostly for running two A/C units and they install a furnace for heat.

FWIW, my 30 amp powered TT is no different. All outlets on one 15 amp circuit. I just turn my heaters down to the "Low" power setting (750 watt each) and it works fine once the furnace has heated the TT up. Unfortunately when running heaters I have to run Refrigerator and Water Heater on Propane. That way I can still use the microwave when needed.

Changing it won't happen at the factory level, you'll pretty much have to get an electrician to divide up the power distribution with an extra breaker in the panel if there is room.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #4
Site Team

Camping or living in an RV especially one with 30A service requires a fair amount of power management discipline. Even if the outlets were on two separate circuits ( breakers) running two small heaters ( usually 1500W) could be a problem if other things were running in shore power. The key to managing is to know roughly what each appliance draws then get used to turning one off in order to run another.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
D W

Don't know about anyone else, but my TT has a 15A breaker for the GFI outlets (bath, kitchen & outdoor), and another 15A breaker for the General Purpose outlets. Like TitanMike said, these TT's were not designed to accommodate multiple space heaters. Easiest option for the OP would be to add another breaker and wire-in a dedicated circuit for one of the space heaters. Probably install close to the service panel. I have also seen folks wire-in a 20A outlet in the bathroom (for blow-dryers) with 12 AWG wire, that connects directly to the 20A outlet on the RV Park pedestal, thus bypassing the RV service panel. Those outlets on the pedestal are GFI breaker controlled, so they are safe.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:19 PM   #6

Great information! Thanks for the comments!
Old 12-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #7
Always Learning

One thing that I've done is actually mapped out the outlets to the circuit breakers. I turn a breaker off and then go around to each outlet with a non-contact voltage detector. I'll keep a note denoting which outlets are off. I'll switch that one on and the next off and will repeat for each breaker in the panel.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #8

I find it hard to believe that a 30' trailer would have all outlets on one circuit. BUT I have been known to be wrong in the past and probably will do so it the furture. I'm more inclined to beleive you have (2) 120 circuits in you trailer. One is GFI protected. Every outlet within 6' of a water supply would be on this citcuit. Bath, Kitchen, outside, outside storge etc. Anything elese would be on the 2nd circuit. Check your service panel. One breaker will be labled GFI. Turn that off then go around and check ALL outlets.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Don't know about anyone else, but my TT has a 15A breaker for the GFI outlets (bath, kitchen & outdoor), and another 15A breaker for the General Purpose outlets. Like TitanMike said, these TT's were not designed to accommodate multiple space heaters. Easiest option for the OP would be to add another breaker and wire-in a dedicated circuit for one of the space heaters. Probably install close to the service panel. I have also seen folks wire-in a 20A outlet in the bathroom (for blow-dryers) with 12 AWG wire, that connects directly to the 20A outlet on the RV Park pedestal, thus bypassing the RV service panel. Those outlets on the pedestal are GFI breaker controlled, so they are safe.
Another option is to sneek a 12 ga extention cord out thru the slide and plug it into the 20 amp outlet at the PED.
Old 12-26-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Another option is to sneek a 12 ga extention cord out thru the slide and plug it into the 20 amp outlet at the PED.
If your neighbors do the same thing, you can have bigger problems as many campgrounds have three 30A sites protected by a 100A breaker upstream in a locked area. If that breaker trips, it usually means finding a park staffer to reset it which can take some time.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If your neighbors do the same thing, you can have bigger problems as many campgrounds have three 30A sites protected by a 100A breaker upstream in a locked area. If that breaker trips, it usually means finding a park staffer to reset it which can take some time.
My campground is L1 30 amp. L2 20 amp. Not much of a priblem there.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #12

Well, every outlet has gfci sticker on them. Only the bathroom has the test button. So there ya go. No separate breaker as there are no non gfci outlets. The back outlets are 12’ away from water. But, gfci anyway. Just tested everything to confirm, same circuit. Smh. Snaking a power cord out slide to pedestal is an interesting idea.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
I find it hard to believe that a 30' trailer would have all outlets on one circuit. BUT I have been known to be wrong in the past and probably will do so it the furture. I'm more inclined to beleive you have (2) 120 circuits in you trailer. One is GFI protected. Every outlet within 6' of a water supply would be on this citcuit. Bath, Kitchen, outside, outside storge etc. Anything elese would be on the 2nd circuit. Check your service panel. One breaker will be labled GFI. Turn that off then go around and check ALL outlets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer View Post
Well, every outlet has gfci sticker on them. Only the bathroom has the test button. So there ya go. No separate breaker as there are no non gfci outlets. The back outlets are 12’ away from water. But, gfci anyway. Just tested everything to confirm, same circuit. Smh. Snaking a power cord out slide to pedestal is an interesting idea.
It isn't uncommon for EVERY outlet to be on one breaker.
In fact, on most of the campers I've owned, this was the norm rather than the exception.

With the advent of more and more rigs going to 50a service and this last 5th wheel that is 30a but has two separate outlet breakers, having all the outlets on one breaker is becoming less common than in the past.

Snaking a separate wire through the slide or the addition of a separate 15a/20a shore power adapter on the side of the trailer has been done lots and lots.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #14

All to common in RV's.
One of the most important things to watch out for when considering any rewire in an RV... confirm the type and gauge wire they used and if the wire can handle the load.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:42 PM   #15

I have the same problem with my rockwood 2606ws. can't make coffee and run a heater at the same time. I couldn't find a black receptacle locally so I ordered one from amazon and then came in under bathroom sink with a wire that I can plug a heavy duty extension cord to from campground 20 amp plug on the power pedestal. put new receptacle in wall right above the existing on and you can't tell it wasn't factory installed. use this to run my 1500 watt oil heater and now no problem.
Easymoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #16
Newbie Level 2

Another Power option

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer View Post
Just wondering if this is normal or not?

We discovered that our 2018 RW 2906 has every 110 outlet on a single 15amp breaker. Is that normal? I mean, wouldn't it be better to have half the TT on 15amp and the other half on 15amp? Our TT is 50amps, but you can never run 2 small space heaters as it will trip the only breaker. (15amps) (we had one in the bathroom and one in the living room... poof... nope, not happening)

Is this something I can take down to a RV service place and get a second 15amp breaker wired in?

Thanks!

James
Look at this item at Amazon. I plan on putting on a compartment door or wall area that is accessible from the inside. Got it but not installed. Also not sure why it shows 13Amp?
NOCO Black GCP1 13 Amp 125V AC Port Plug with Integrated Extension Cord
KeepTravelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #17

Here's a video of how one guy added another outlet
dlink9368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #18
Retired Member

Use to plug heater into microwave recep which was separate from other receps.
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlink9368 View Post
Here's a video of how one guy added another outlet

Awesome vid! Thanks dlink!

Tags
breaker