Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #1

2019 Cherokee 22RR Solar Question

My 2019 FR Cherokee Gray Wolf 22RR comes "Prepped" with a Furrion solar connection. My question is: does "prepped" mean that if I bought a 100 watt solar panel System, that it,the solar system would have a solar controller would have a plug that would connect to the Furrion Connection with the correct plug or adapter? OR IS THERE MORE TO IT???
tomm1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:30 PM   #2

"Prepped" would mean just the wiring and a couple of connectors, no controller.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Prepped is simply a connector on the roof and wires down to where the battery is. The wires are generally smaller than a decent system requires. Before you invest in any solar equipment, I suggest you do some research and determine what your power requirements will be and where you will camp ( sun / shade). Once you determine your final requirements, you can order parts that will accommodate the final design.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #4

My 2018 Cherokee also came “Solar prepped” with a Furrion connector. To answer your question, you would have to make sure that it had the “right” connector” (as there are several) and the controller. You can find the Furrion plug on Amazon but most likely you will have to solder the wires to it and that is not easy. Then there is the question of where do the wires go after the outdoor plug.

I never did find out where the wires went or terminated from the outdoor plug. Certain though it wasn’t to a roof connection. Couldn’t find them going to the battery compartment either. FR wasn’t any help.

Being the wire was undersized anyway, I ran new wire from two roof mounted panels to battery compartment and solar controller. A long pair of unused charging cables can give you a pretty good alternative for a decent wire.

All I really was looking for, was to recharge my batteries while on the road and maybe extend my boondocking.
2ondago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #5

I had a pamphlet from Zamp that explained that the connection on the side of the trailer goes to the inverter and keeps the battery charged!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, solar