Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #1

2019 Isata 3 CBM - bathroom and outside outlet not working

Everything is wired as it should. Testing with meter and on generator or land power, the gfci outlet is hot and so is one set of wires going into the part of outlet marked line with word and arrow indicating hot. Wire to the load/hot is not registering on meter but when screwed into gfci outlet it registers on meter as having power.

It appears to be chained to outside outlet, then the bath outlet where it stops. Neither wires on the outside outlet either hooked to the outlet or not hooked register power per the meter to the outside unit. Yet the gfci outlet has power going out through the load/hot meter read.

This tells us what?

The outside outlet could be bad but the wires alone are not registering any power getting to them. And neither is the bathroom outlet.

Could the gfci outlet be bad? It is not tripping by itself. When reset it stays on and registers power with the meter with the line and load sides. We have reset all breakers yesterday and again today.

Could it be that the wire from the gfci to the outside outlet is cut somewhere we cannot see because the wiring is hidden?

I hate to have to take this back to the dealership. We already had major problems with air conditioner not working from generator but working from land power. They had the unit almost a month and we only have had this unit since August 29th and they had almost four weeks.

Thank you
Priscilla and Gary Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #2

Do you have a GFI Breaker or a GFI outlet. If it's an outlet it is the first device in a series of outlets that are located within 6' of possible water. This includes outside outlets and storage bay outlets and kitchen outlets. Push the test and reset buttons. Check the breaker marked GFI. The outlet has a line side and a load side. If the breaker feeding it is not tripped, the line side will be hot. If the load side is not hot the GFI is tripped. GFI outlet must have power to reset.

If it's a GFI Breaker, push the yellow test button. If nothing happens the breaker is tripped. Turn it off than on.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Do you have a GFI Breaker or a GFI outlet. If it's an outlet it is the first device in a series of outlets that are located within 6' of possible water. This includes outside outlets and storage bay outlets and kitchen outlets. Push the test and reset buttons. Check the breaker marked GFI. The outlet has a line side and a load side. If the breaker feeding it is not tripped, the line side will be hot. If the load side is not hot the GFI is tripped. GFI outlet must have power to reset.

If it's a GFI Breaker, push the yellow test button. If nothing happens the breaker is tripped. Turn it off than on.
We have both. Gfci breaker and outlet. We have done both. Breaker on and off, several times. Outlet reset done many times.
Old 10-08-2018, 05:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla and Gary Evans View Post
We have both. Gfci breaker and outlet. We have done both. Breaker on and off, several times. Outlet reset done many times.
OK now we are going somewhere. You hae 2 GFI curits. Figure out which circuit you are working on. You will have a regular circuit breaker labeled GFI. That is going to the GFI outlet first. Tell me if your working on the breaker circuit or the outlet circuit. Figure out what is on each circuit and write it down.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:15 PM   #5

Quote:
OK now we are going somewhere. You hae 2 GFI curits. Figure out which circuit you are working on. You will have a regular circuit breaker labeled GFI. That is going to the GFI outlet first. Tell me if your working on the breaker circuit or the outlet circuit. Figure out what is on each circuit and write it down.
Attached is a picture I just drew up. We are working on the kitchen outlet as our starting point. It is the outlet that has a reset button. It is the outlet that is labeled with a line and load written on the outlet. Let me know any question on picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181008_191134.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	188669
Old 10-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Attached is a picture I just drew up. We are working on the kitchen outlet as our starting point. It is the outlet that has a reset button. It is the outlet that is labeled with a line and load written on the outlet. Let me know any question on picture.Attachment 188669
OK. I suspect that there are more than 3 outlets on this circuit. I never have understood why they put a GFI breaker on one circuit and an outlet on the other. Outlets are cheaper. I hope someone can enlighten me. Anyway, Figure out which outlets are on the working GFI breaker circuit and eliminate them from the equation. Sometimes they screw up and put the microwave on it. Look very closely for hidden outlets in storage areas. Look up. Look at the coach and see how it is divided up for ease of wiring. They used the line side (three holes) as a junction point. Disregard those wires. One comes from the panel and two go elsewhere. You're looking at the path of working from panel to GFI outlet to nearest outlet to nearest outlet and so on. I do know that there are some outlets in the storage areas.

So you saying the load side of the outlet GFI is dead? If so it's tripped or bad. A GFI must have power to reset.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
OK. I suspect that there are more than 3 outlets on this circuit. I never have understood why they put a GFI breaker on one circuit and an outlet on the other. Outlets are cheaper. I hope someone can enlighten me. Anyway, Figure out which outlets are on the working GFI breaker circuit and eliminate them from the equation. Sometimes they screw up and put the microwave on it. Look very closely for hidden outlets in storage areas. Look up. Look at the coach and see how it is divided up for ease of wiring. They used the line side (three holes) as a junction point. Disregard those wires. One comes from the panel and two go elsewhere. You're looking at the path of working from panel to GFI outlet to nearest outlet to nearest outlet and so on. I do know that there are some outlets in the storage areas.

So you saying the load side of the outlet GFI is dead? If so it's tripped or bad. A GFI must have power to reset.
We have looked everywhere including microwave. We can look again but we do not see any other outlet NOT working. We have carefully checked all storage areas. This little unit does not have much storage. No the wire before it is put into the gfci outlet is dead. Once in the outlet it has power.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
We have looked everywhere including microwave. We can look again but we do not see any other outlet NOT working. We have carefully checked all storage areas. This little unit does not have much storage. No the wire before it is put into the gfci outlet is dead. Once in the outlet it has power.
To clarify, the load wire once placed in the kitchen outlet hole marked load hot, has power.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:56 PM   #9

Quote:

We are having a communication problem. Only 1 set has power on it. that set goes on the LINE side of the GFI. hook that one up. Reset the GFI. Did it hold? Now test the empty screws LOAD screws. If they are dead the GFI is bad. The other set of wire will not have power. If you put them on the working GFI then they are taking power to the next outlet. The one you need to find.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
[/COLOR]

We are having a communication problem. Only 1 set has power on it. that set goes on the LINE side of the GFI. hook that one up. Reset the GFI. Did it hold? Now test the empty screws LOAD screws. If they are dead the GFI is bad. The other set of wire will not have power. If you put them on the working GFI then they are taking power to the next outlet. The one you need to find.
Yes. We understand only one set, the line side of the outlet and/or the wires have power. This is clear to us. We did this. Removed wires from load side of outlet and tested line side only. The outlet did not trip and tested it still had power.

We did not test the screws with the load side empty. Only tested it after wires were in. Outlet did NOT trip and scews tested and it had power.

We will look further throughout the upcoming week.

Thank you.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes. We understand only one set, the line side of the outlet and/or the wires have power. This is clear to us. We did this. Removed wires from load side of outlet and tested line side only. The outlet did not trip and tested it still had power.

We did not test the screws with the load side empty. Only tested it after wires were in. Outlet did NOT trip and scews tested and it had power.

We will look further throughout the upcoming week.

Thank you.
OK. 2 sets of wires. Only one set is hot. that is the line set. install them. turn on the power and rest the outlet. Are the load screws hot? if so install the dead load set and go find the other end. you can use the test and reset buttons while testing. The GFI outlet sounds like it is working. Other outlets in you kitchen are controlled by this GFI. I'm betting you gonna find loose wires behind a non-working outlet. I know you have more than one kitchen outlet.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #12

Quote:
OK. 2 sets of wires. Only one set is hot. that is the line set. install them. turn on the power and rest the outlet. Are the load screws hot? if so install the dead load set and go find the other end. you can use the test and reset buttons while testing. The GFI outlet sounds like it is working. Other outlets in you kitchen are controlled by this GFI. I'm betting you gonna find loose wires behind a non-working outlet. I know you have more than one kitchen outlet.
Nope - only one outlet in kitchen. It is only a four foot one wall kitchen. Small c class unit. We checked in kitchen storage area and no outlets in this area. Someone suggested microwave but it stays on when we trip outlet on purpose. But we will look again.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Nope - only one outlet in kitchen. It is only a four foot one wall kitchen. Small c class unit. We checked in kitchen storage area and no outlets in this area. Someone suggested microwave but it stays on when we trip outlet on purpose. But we will look again.

Thanks.
Look under the top cabs. Ok if only 3 outlets then form the GFI to the next outlet would be 2 sets on #2 and one sets on #3. check all connections. I forgot? Is this GFI working and the other two not? If so the problem is in outlet #2
Old 10-08-2018, 08:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Look under the top cabs. Ok if only 3 outlets, than form the GFIt to the next outlet would be 2 sets on #2 and one sets on #3. check all connections. I forgot? Is this GFI working and the other two not? If so the problem is in outlet #2
We looked top cabinet, bottom cabinet, cabinet over the refrigerator, drawer under the stove top, inside the pull out storage cabinets. Looked in the medicine cabinet, and storage under the sink.

Yes this gfci outlet is working buth the outside that is number 2 and the bathroom that is number three is NOT working.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #15

Quote:

Thanks.
We looked again, searching evety inch and if it had been a snake it would have bitten us. There is second gfci outlet in the coach. It is in the bathroom on the five inch wall of the vanity. It is on the wall of the vanity almost under the window. It had been tripped and we reset and all is well the bathroom and outside outlet are now working.

Thank you to everyone who made suggestions and helped. Does anyone have a real manual that explain these things? We have looked on the internet. We found several calling themselves manuals but seem to short on real information for the Isata 3.

Thanks again.

Tags
bathroom, roo