Old 04-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #1

2019 may be the year to "Go Lithium"

Was reading a news article the other day that told how Lithium Ion battery production capacity could double in 2019 with all the new factories coming online in China, US, and other countries. Also stated that the cost per kwh stored was plummeting.

I recently checked some prices online for 12v batteries and found several 12v 100 ah batteries selling for less than $800. Also found that capacities are increasing with AIMS offering a 200 Ah battery for the same cost per Ah as two 100 ah units.

If true, could we see Li-ion battery costs drop down to levels close to the premium AGM's? Certainly more factory capacity will promote lower prices and 2019 could be a very good year for those considering a change to lighter, more efficient, battery banks.

Time will tell

Politically Incorrect since 1943

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:04 AM   #2

The question really is if LiFeP04 production is going to increase. Those are the cells used in the drop in replacements.

babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
The question really is if LiFeP04 production is going to increase. Those are the cells used in the drop in replacements.
Like I said, time will tell. Just remember how prices on flat screen TV's, computers, and smart phones, plummeted as more companies entered the market. With the recent growth in the RV market I'd find it logical demand for LiFePo batteries will rise and demand drives production. The more players, the lower the prices.

Only reason the fla battery is still king is it's low cost per kwh stored. When that gap closes people will be more ready to fork over the extra to get rid of the corrosive liquid and excessive weight.

Just looked at an importer's offering for an LiFePo battery pack delivering 450 Ah capacity for $2100 (free shipping) and that's for a single unit. Drops to just under $2000 if you order 10. This Mfr is targeting the RV, Boating, and Solar market so apparently the LiFePo production isnt just for "drop in's", especially because they make lousy starting batteries.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 04-04-2019, 07:20 PM   #4

I haven't personally looked into this but a friend of mine who has a MH and is definitely a "gadget guy" has been telling me that RVers are starting to buy used Tesla batteries for a better price than the off the shelf lithiums. If I was thinking on making that move, I'd look into it.
Two shedding mutts
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
I haven't personally looked into this but a friend of mine who has a MH and is definitely a "gadget guy" has been telling me that RVers are starting to buy used Tesla batteries for a better price than the off the shelf lithiums. If I was thinking on making that move, I'd look into it.
You better know what you are doing. You are going to have to make/purchase your own BMS. If you overcharge them, you are in for a world of hurt. They are a different chemistry than LiFePo4 and not nearly as safe.

BTW, I would actually put them in if I had a different type trailer where if anything catastrophic happened, I wouldn't get killed in my sleep. I am an EE and know some engineer friends who have put these into their homemade EVs. I used work on the GM EV1 program way back when but of course we didn't have these type batteries yet.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #6
Kasual Kamper

Just have to find a way to keep them from exploding, lol!
JayArras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
You better know what you are doing. You are going to have to make/purchase your own BMS. If you overcharge them, you are in for a world of hurt. They are a different chemistry than LiFePo4 and not nearly as safe.

BTW, I would actually put them in if I had a different type trailer where if anything catastrophic happened, I wouldn't get killed in my sleep. I am an EE and know some engineer friends who have put these into their homemade EVs. I used work on the GM EV1 program way back when but of course we didn't have these type batteries yet.

Most EV batteries, from what I understand, require a cooling system of some sort. Some are air cooked and some liquid cooled.

If so, sounds like one might need to build more than their own BMS.

I did read where a company was using parts from recycled EV batteries to power small travel trailers but not much beyond that.

2004 Nissan Titan
Old 04-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #8

The Tesla modules have a builtin cooling tube system that can tied into but RV use isn't the same as EV use. The power draw isn't even close even if you are using it for AC.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:09 PM   #9

I keep it simple. Double the capacity with another FLA for a hundred bucks. The extra 45 Lbs. has no effect on my rig.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
I keep it simple. Double the capacity with another FLA for a hundred bucks. The extra 45 Lbs. has no effect on my rig.
If you have a 45# battery, must be a pretty low capacity battery. Size 24?