Old 06-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Mall Man View Post
I did purchase a 30/50 amp adaptor but was scared to use it. Not sure if I would damage things in the RV by hooking it up.
If the (50A) is wired correct it is (Safe and Proper) to use the (30/50A) adapter! Is there a (50A) at the Box? Youroo!!

youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #12
Site Team
Originally Posted by Mall Man View Post
I switched over to propane on the water heater.
OK,good. The reason I was asking is it's common for members to accidentally turn on their electric heating element without water in the heater, thus burning out the element. When this happens (element burned out), it can cause breakers to trip whenever the heating element is turned on later (even if using propane at the same time). It's very common to do this (or forget the electric switch is on) when using the Suburban brand water heaters with the electric heating element switch located outside the RV, on the face of the water heater itself.

Suburban's electric switch and much more

I was just making sure that this couldn't be a cause of any problem.

2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I used to be addicted to time travel, but that's all in the past now.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:58 PM   #13
I wouldn't over think it, my money is on the pedestal breaker being weak, from people turning it off and on, or a loose connection at the terminals. I run my A/C, electric H/W and convertor with all the lights on plus once in awhile the microwave, Your breaker in your panel should trip first. Never have I ever tripped the 30 amp except in Goshen. and that was from over heating caused by to many people with A/C's on. Do as Youroo said use your 50/30 adapter that should end your problem. It would be very rare that everything would be come on at the same time in your unit. Then if it did you are still protected by the 30 amp in the trailer. Also make sure your power lugs are tight in your unit at the panel. Just my experiences. That is why it is bad to use your breakers in in your unit as a switch as some do.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #14
Thanks for all the advice. I hooked up my 30-50amp adaptor and all is well. Hot water heater on electric and MW can be used while AC is running. Life is better.
Mall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #15
Good deal Mall Man, your welcome! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #16
7 Year Class A RV'er
Use the 50A adapter - can't hurt a thing. I agree with what most are saying, issue is with the outlet, not your unit. If you want to be sure, unplug and start the generator. If you're pulling too many amps, the gen won't handle it either. I know for a fact you can run a 30A MH, with everything on except the microwave (water heater on propane) on a 15A household circuit - did it for three years in my drive before I put in a dedicated outlet. And that was using a 50' extension cord. Breakers can get "weak" and become easy to trip with age. Hopefully, the 50A breaker will have seen less use over the years. Good luck!
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:55 PM   #17
Nicely done YouRoo!
2015 Georgetown 280DS
2014 Vespa LX150 2014 StellaAuto 125
camaraderie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #18

I am curious to know what the voltage was inside the coachbefore the breaker tripped.
Last weekend we were camping and I had the A/C running. The voltage was reading 110 almost in the red. We were the only ones in the back part of the campground running the A/C. The 30 amp never tripped, but I watched the meter all weekend to make sure it didn't drop below 110.
rhughsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 05:56 PM   #19
Check voltage with various loads. Is the plug at pedestal getting hot?
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #20
I'm thinking a couple things. Overload and or a tired 30amp CB at the pedestal.
You have to figure the water heater is 12 to 14 amps, AC 15 amps and all the other various other items running will do it.
Circuit Breaker are not designed to run at a constant 80%
Amp probe and voltage test at the pedestal will tell you the story.

barrie1 is offline   Reply With Quote