Old 06-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #1

30 AMP Pedestal breaker tripping

We are on our 'shakedown' cruise with a 2016 Sunseeker 2860DS. We upgraded to a 15 K AC knowing we would have hot days to contend with on the road. The last two have been in the mid-90's. Our unit has a Domestics frig (small one) in the rig and a dorm/bar frig in the outside kitchen. We've got the AC set at 75 and without anything else running it will trip on its own - intermittently. Turning on the electric water heater immediately trips the campground pedestal (30 amp plug). Our rig is set for 30 amp and internal fuse box has following - Converter 15a, A/C -20, GFI - 15, Frig - 15, Water heater - 15, MW - 15 and Main 30 amp. None of the inside breakers have tripped - only the 30 amp on the pedestal. Had the campground electrician check the pedestal and was told it had 120 v coming through the connection. I should have pre-warned everyone - I don't speak electrician. As I was typing this the circuit tripped again. Seems I can't run anything other than the refrigerators and the AC and even that's not dependable. I'm trying to cover all the bases before I go back to the dealer and tell him this is unsatisfactory performance. I have a SurgeGuard 44260 (30 amp) connected between the shore power line and the pedestal. Thoughts, advice most welcome. Thanks in advance. dj

Old 06-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
Average Joe

30 AMP Pedestal breaker tripping

Before you complain to the dealer, the breaker on the pedestal may be malfunctioning. I'm betting it's tripping prematurely. Have someone measure the AMP draw at the breaker and see what it is when it trips. I have a surge protector that shows amperage. Might be a worthwhile investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:44 PM   #3

Might have to invest in one of those - recommendation?. Campground guy took me at my word that I didn't speak "electrician" and said "if it's showing 120v then it has 30 amp." Maybe I need an online basic electricity course.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mall Man View Post
We are on our 'shakedown' cruise with a 2016 Sunseeker 2860DS. We upgraded to a 15 K AC knowing we would have hot days to contend with on the road. The last two have been in the mid-90's. Our unit has a Domestics frig (small one) in the rig and a dorm/bar frig in the outside kitchen. We've got the AC set at 75 and without anything else running it will trip on its own - intermittently. Turning on the electric water heater immediately trips the campground pedestal (30 amp plug). Our rig is set for 30 amp and internal fuse box has following - Converter 15a, A/C -20, GFI - 15, Frig - 15, Water heater - 15, MW - 15 and Main 30 amp. None of the inside breakers have tripped - only the 30 amp on the pedestal. Had the campground electrician check the pedestal and was told it had 120 v coming through the connection. I should have pre-warned everyone - I don't speak electrician. As I was typing this the circuit tripped again. Seems I can't run anything other than the refrigerators and the AC and even that's not dependable. I'm trying to cover all the bases before I go back to the dealer and tell him this is unsatisfactory performance. I have a SurgeGuard 44260 (30 amp) connected between the shore power line and the pedestal. Thoughts, advice most welcome. Thanks in advance. dj
Welcome aboard, and to the first lesson in 30 amp RV's. You are limited to what you may have on at one time....and thus must turn off.

Here are the basics. 30 amps X 120 volts = 3600 watts. You are limited to 30 amps or 3600 watts total power.

Your air conditioner alone is going to usually range between 13 -16 amps and can run more than that on initial startup when the compressor engages.

The water heater electric element is 1440 watts or 12 amps, when it's on and heating.

So as you see, just those two appliances alone can use 25-28 amps. We haven't begun to add one or both fridges to the total either.

Use the water heater on propane (and not electric) when the air conditioner is running a lot in the hot months and that will free up some amps there.

Hold on and I will edit this post with some basic electrician as you stated:

Here is a good article to start with:

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...lectricity.asp

and when you get that down pat, here is the second one to go to:

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...d-amp-draw.asp

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #5

Is there also a (50A) outlet in the Box? If so plug into that with a (50 to 30) adapter! It might be the C/G elect.and Not your unit! Youroo!!
Old 06-19-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
Site Team

Also, in the hot months when everyone at the campground is using air conditioners and such, it can put a strain on the grid. It's not uncommon for the voltage to drop, as well as the circuit breakers to trip, when it's real hot.

Also as others have stated, the 30 amp outlet may be bad/weak. These are the most used outlets and do have problems.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
TGR

If more than one single appliances, running all by itself in your RV, will trip the 30 amp pedestal breaker then the problem is most likely not in your RV. If you are running several appliances at the same time, e.g., refrigerator, water heater and A/C, then I would say you could be using too many things at the same time and further investigation is warranted.

Since either your A/C or your water heater alone trip the pedestal 30 amp breaker, I suspect the problem is elsewhere.

I suspect the pedestal circuit breaker or a poor connection at that breaker is heating it up.

Ask the park to replace the breaker. Explain that the water heater alone is tripping the pedestal breaker but not its own breaker in your RV.

If you are running multiple appliances, shift the water heater and refrigerator to gas and keep the A/C running.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Is there also a (50A) outlet in the Box? If so plug into that with a (50 to 30) adapter! It might be the C/G elect.and Not your unit! Youroo!!
I did purchase a 30/50 amp adaptor but was scared to use it. Not sure if I would damage things in the RV by hooking it up.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
Site Team

Mall Man, I need to ask an unrelated question, but since you stated you were new, I think needs to be asked.

Are you running the water heater on propane at all...... or just the electric?

Old 06-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Mall Man, I need to ask an unrelated question, but since you stated you were new, I think needs to be asked.

Are you running the water heater on propane at all...... or just the electric?
I switched over to propane on the water heater.

Tags
breaker