Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #21

Thanks to ALL!!! I do believe that my 30 amp single pole breaker with #6 gauge wire for about 100 feet will do the trick. That will put my 30 amp outlet box within 10 feet of my RV. Being new to my 2016 Georgetown 335ds, I wanted to make sure. Hope to run into some of you sometime. Happy Mardi Gras Y'all!!!
lbirdie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbirdie123 View Post
Thanks to ALL!!! I do believe that my 30 amp single pole breaker with #6 gauge wire for about 100 feet will do the trick. That will put my 30 amp outlet box within 10 feet of my RV. Being new to my 2016 Georgetown 335ds, I wanted to make sure. Hope to run into some of you sometime. Happy Mardi Gras Y'all!!!
Holy Chrysler don't waste you $$ on #6 gauge. #10 will work fine for an allowable 5% voltage drop using copper wire. If you insist to upgrade by all means #8 is more than enough. I ran a voltage drop calculator.

From a 45 year Licensed Master Electrician
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbirdie123 View Post
If I install a 30 amp single pole breaker in my last slot in home panel box. Will that 30 amp be enough to power 1 A/C in my 2016 Georgetown 335ds? I know I can't run any if the big power users at the same time. Just want to make sure that it will run 1 of the big power users at a time. If NOT, then I need to hire an electrician to reconfigure my panel box and find 2 slots for a 50 amp double breaker. Building the RV pad and want to run a 30 amp, if possible, to where the RV will be parked. Thanks from a Newbie!!!
Yes, no problem. It will be the same power supplied to tens of thousands of camp sites and hundreds of thousands of campers only have a 30 A service with one A/C unit.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:57 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Holy Chrysler don't waste you $$ on #6 gauge. #10 will work fine for an allowable 5% voltage drop using copper wire. If you insist to upgrade by all means #8 is more than enough. I ran a voltage drop calculator.

From a 45 year Licensed Master Electrician
X2. He knows of what he speaks. A cable larger that 8 at most will only serve to lighten your wallet, not the voltage drop!. #10 will be just fine for 100'
Old 02-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #25

Well if you want to get technical voltage drop also has to do with distance. Number 10 is fine under 100 feet
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
[/COLOR]

Because he stated that he has a single space available. He is at home and has no need for 50 amps at home. 2 people can live very well on a 30 amp service in a motorhome. Putting a 50 amp breaker in a panel with one space left requires $$$ to buy special breakers to provide room IF the panel is designed to do so and not already altered. Says a 45-year licensed master electrician.
With your 45 years experience have you not ever seen a single pole circuit breaker greater than 30 amps. My point is that the OP is not limited to a 30 amp circuit breaker for his application and can install a single pole breaker larger than 30 amps to accommodate more than just a single AC. Don't know why everyone is hung up on the OP installing a 30 amp breaker. Single poles come in 30/45/50/60 amp ratings and will install in the OP's panel without modification. Cost is $3 to $5. He evidently does not want to install an RV 50 amp remote 2 pole circuit breaker which would require larger wire sizing but a larger than 30 amp breaker installed in the existing panel and existing vacant slot is not a big deal.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:31 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
With your 45 years experience have you not ever seen a single pole circuit breaker greater than 30 amps. My point is that the OP is not limited to a 30 amp circuit breaker for his application and can install a single pole breaker larger than 30 amps to accommodate more than just a single AC. Don't know why everyone is hung up on the OP installing a 30 amp breaker. Single poles come in 30/45/50/60 amp ratings and will install in the OP's panel without modification. Cost is $3 to $5. He evidently does not want to install an RV 50 amp remote 2 pole circuit breaker which would require larger wire sizing but a larger than 30 amp breaker installed in the existing panel and existing vacant slot is not a big deal.
yes, I have seen them. The point here it is not necessary and the wire to run 50a 100' is very costly and not necessary.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Cavie, a little correction here emboldened in red above. A 50 amp outlet provides 50 amps per leg. That's 50 amps per side.

Please read this link so as to make sure you are giving correct advice, as we don't want to confuse the OP or any other members who may read your posts.

https://www.rvtechmag.com/electrical/chapter3.php

and you can see it in these schematics:

You are very correct sir. Sorry for the confusion. If you will look at the picture in post #10 (your post as I recall) it is of a 30/20 amp plug comb of which I was describing. That is the problem with social networks and forums.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #29

One open slot only prohibits you from putting a double pole breaker in if your municipality doesn't allow tandem breakers. I mean, if 30A is fine, then so be it, but I wouldn't let needing one more slot keep you from a 50A service.
rat4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
X2. He knows of what he speaks. A cable larger that 8 at most will only serve to lighten your wallet, not the voltage drop!. #10 will be just fine for 100'
Old 02-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #31
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
The way I read your post there are a few things going on: 1) You are wanting to know if a 30 amp breaker will run one RV A/C unit 2) Then you state you state that you want to re-configure your electrical panel for a fifty (50) amp double-pole breaker, and 3) You are wanting to build an RV pad equipped with a thirty (30) amp breaker. Will a 30 amp breaker safely supply enough electricity for an RV A/C? Well, it's overkill to me. All the RV A/C units I have had hands on experience with run off a twenty (20) amp breaker. All units I have worked on use 15-18 amps at start up then settle down to 10-12 amps to run. I'm not sure you are stating that you would want the 50 amp breaker for the one A/C unit, if so that would be totally unnecessary, see the previous sentence. You are wanting to build an RV pad at your house with a 30 amp breaker? Isn't the Georgetown a coach/motor home? I'm betting that your RV requires a 50 amp breaker with 220vAC electricity. IF so, then placing a 30 amp supply for the RV would not be appropriate, you would need a dedicated 50 amp service to your RV pad. Does your RV currently have one or two A/C units? IF you have one A/C unit and are wanting to add an additional unit you would have to consider how to route the wiring for the second unit unless the RV was factory wired for the second unit. Running a new circuit for an additional A/C unit back to the present electrical panel is a real pain. I have added an additional A/C unit to three RV's in the past, one 5-er and two TT's, all with 30 amp service. I wired them by running a new hidden circuit with an 20 amp re-settable circuit breaker and an electrical connection , a Marinco brand with the male end and weather resistant cover, mounted on the outside of the unit. When setting up one would only have to use an extension cord, I highly recommend a 10 gauge (10-2 with ground) outside service type cord to be used between the 110vAC outlet at the power pedestal of the CG and the Marinco fitting.
Talk about to much information and disinformation.. whew.

The OP ask a simple question and it was answered and with this now he is confused. YES a 30 amp breaker on his house panel will run a single A/C unit. End of story.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #32

My quick thoughts since I have a permanently wired in hookup for my Windjammer. I have also wired my house (yes, passed inspection). First off, are you going to bury the cable out to your RV? If so, I would put it in conduit (made for buried cable) and put in the 50 amp service (you were going to buy #6 cable anyway (presumably copper). Check with your electrical supplier or on line for the size and type of cable you need. The cost of the conduit is minimal (especially compared to your RV purchase) and with a little thought you can do it right, and for the future instead of being cheap and possibly not getting the satisfaction from your work. The difference in cost isn't that great and hooking up the connections is similar to hooking up an electric range. Now for the box in your house: If it doesn't have the "thin" double breakers already, you should be able to substitute one of the thick breakers for a double thin one which would free up a space (along with the space you have) for you to connect the 220 double pole breaker in your present box. You may have to rearrange a couple of breakers (typically every other breaker or two is on the opposite connection in the box so you only should have to move maybe one or two breakers) to get the 220 breaker to be in the right spot (one side on each leg in the box - study the panel diagram on the door of the panel). For the rest of the hookup, you just have to follow the instructions. Just make sure your pedestal connection is the one for your RV 50 amp service (some people install the wrong 220 connector here). You will spend almost as much time wiring the 120 single pole as the double pole setup. You won't be sorry 3 months from now if you need to use the full power of your unit - or a guest's. It really isn't that hard if you pay attention to what you are doing, use the right connectors and equipment, and this one job can be done by the book. Presuming you are going to get it inspected? then you can also call the local electrical inspector with any questions you can't answer from the book (library or electrical store). If you are doing it without the inspection, triple check everything, it could affect your house insurance down the road if something goes wrong and your wiring is the culprit. You can get a tester (like a volt meter) to do the testing. Figure on spending a day doing the connections and add time to bury the conduit line. Someone doing it every day can do it in a few hours, but, better to allow time to make a double check and run to the hardware store for something you need. Take your time and enjoy it. You will feel really accomplished when you have it done and done right! Good Luck!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:15 PM   #33

Put in a 50 amp RV service, you or anyone else will not be limited to what they can run in the RV. Cheaper to do it now than change it later.
Sealyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 01:19 AM   #34

ProfChuck just wrote what I was upon to tell you.

You are planning building a pad equipped with a service box or pedestal.

Make it right, the 1st time; a bit more expensive but done forever.

If you upgrade your RV or sell the house, you will gain in the future.

Not so many years ago, 30 amps / 120 volts was plenty enough; new RVs are coming more and more sophisticated, so...

Plus, if you run a buried conduit for wiring, how about a second one for water ?

Sewer is more complicated regarding bylaws.
HerveVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:08 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Talk about to much information and disinformation.. whew.

The OP ask a simple question and it was answered and with this now he is confused. YES a 30 amp breaker on his house panel will run a single A/C unit. End of story.
:trink39 ::r olleyes:
Old 02-04-2018, 07:31 AM   #36

Thumbs up
ejohnson1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:54 AM   #37

If it was me .

If you can install a 50 amp. You never know what the future
Will bring. The cost shouldn't be much more.
Kwralph is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker