Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 09:25 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeth View Post
I certainly agree, that is why I cut a new port hole in the compartment where the power enters, installed a waterproof plate and cover and placed the Autoformer inside the compartment.
Hughes Autoformers has an internal mounting kit.
Hughes Autoformers Optional Internal Mounting Kit

I an going to install a 30 amp plug and short cord to mount my Progressive Industries SSP-30XL inside my electrical bay.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:38 AM   #22

I just installed a hardwire EMS HW30C in my TT during her shakedown cruise last weekend. Will never have to worry about it being left behind or leaving w/ someone else.

Has the remote display as well - was interesting to watch the display monitor cycle through its stats in R/T as I moved load in/out. Not quite a Trimetric, but useful info.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:01 AM   #23
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeth View Post
Whatever the amperage requirement might be I haven't noticed any down-side, actually I have been able to plug in more appliances than before, (to a small extent at least).

It would take a more expensive pure sign wave line conditioning UPS, (almost twice as expensive), and you still may not have the actual necessary protection from low voltage, (rolling brown outs),

After being around the computer business for 50 years, I have seen the damage low voltage dips, (short brown outs), can do.

I think I will stick with the Autoformer.

What's wrong with using a APC UPS to run your computer? They have been in use for years and are not that expensive.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsquid View Post
Just don't leave it at the pedestal when you leave the campground...you can probably figure why I say that. We were lucky we called the campground that afternoon when we got to the next campground and the went to look . it was still where we left it. They mailed it to us. That was a fortunate learning experience.
I to use an autotransformer do to poor wiring at my camp. Owners rewired camp to get 30 amps to all sites but the DA electrician or the owner do to cost did not figure voltage drop into their equation so at the end of the run (My site) there is only 108 volts to play with when the other campers have their AC/s on. My AC doesn't play nice with 108 volts. Even with a hard start kit. I hard wired my Transformer to the pedestal end of my trailer cord. Can't drive off and leave it. Hang the transformer on the pole and plug it in.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:42 AM   #25

My SurgeGuard 34830 has served me well for the last six years. When it dies, I plan on buying the new SurgeGuard 34930 with a few more features and a lifetime warranty.

Bruce
Old 05-21-2018, 08:06 AM   #26

Columbus 320RS Dimming

Do any of the lights in the Columbus 320RS have dimming switches?
DegaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
Hughes Autoformers has an internal mounting kit.
Hughes Autoformers Optional Internal Mounting Kit

I an going to install a 30 amp plug and short cord to mount my Progressive Industries SSP-30XL inside my electrical bay.
That's what I've been looking for. A way to get it inside. ...... However, I don't have a generator. So I assume that I can assume (LOL) that I would just substitute my wiring to converter in place of "transfer switch" in that diagram??

Edit: And for the life of me, I can't understand all the attempts to justify getting a Surge Protector, just to save a few bucks, instead of an EMS. I just don't get it.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #28
Canadian Member

We have the Progressive Industries hard wired EMS. Since we installed it, the EMS was shutting down power due to low voltage more frequently than I was prepared to live with, so we added the Hughes Autoformer. I think we’re well protected now.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:24 AM   #29

I had the EMS portable. For reasons I won't get into, we left it behind on one trip last year. Realized it a few hours later. Called the campground, but it was gone.

This year I just installed the hard wire version. Not hard to do and I'll never leave it behind again.

I mounted it under the bathroom sink right were the electric comes into the trailer. So I did not even have to cut a wire. I can revert back to original configuration if I ever sell it.

Good luck and Have Fun.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180422_173720102.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	172756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180422_181244625.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	172757   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180422_181348804.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	172758  
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:31 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
That's what I've been looking for. A way to get it inside. ...... However, I don't have a generator. So I assume that I can assume (LOL) that I would just substitute my wiring to converter in place of "transfer switch" in that diagram??

Edit: And for the life of me, I can't understand all the attempts to justify getting a Surge Protector, just to save a few bucks, instead of an EMS. I just don't get it.
My Samlex EVO-2212 Inverter/charger has electrical management like a UPS. It will switch to inverter if shore power is low. It can also monitor & log power both AC & DC.

The surge protection is to protect the EVO-2212. $95 protection of a $1,500 Inverter/Charger.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
My Samlex EVO-2212 Inverter/charger has electrical management like a UPS. It will switch to inverter if shore power is low. It can also monitor & log power both AC & DC.

The surge protection is to protect the EVO-2212. $95 protection of a $1,500 Inverter/Charger.
After talking to Samlex support engineer, I installed a sub-panel in the power bay with a 30 AMP circuit breaker for shore power to protect the EVO-2212 Grid power input. I repurposed my generator plug to mount my Progressive Industries SSP-30XL Surge Protector in the power bay. I will add a strap to keep it in place while on the road. My Samlex EVO-2212 inverter/charger has electrical management like a UPS.

Name:	20180603_164330 sub panel 1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	174640
Old 08-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #32

We have a Progressive Industries SSP30X. Plugged it in at a campground and it showed all good so we plugged the camper in. When we unplugged, the prongs were burnt on the SSP30X. PI doesn't warrant the product if the plugs are burnt, only if something internal is defective.
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
kgbarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbarne View Post
We have a Progressive Industries SSP30X. Plugged it in at a campground and it showed all good so we plugged the camper in. When we unplugged, the prongs were burnt on the SSP30X. PI doesn't warrant the product if the plugs are burnt, only if something internal is defective.
The outlet you plugged into had loose prongs. sorry about that.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #34

I wouldn't waste my $$ on a surge protector only. Won't protect you against unsafe conditions which can be even be dangerous. You're more likely to be a victim of low voltage, open neutral and/or reverse polarity. In the 5 or so years we've had the PI EMS, it's hardly ever shut us down and usually on low voltage. Shut us of once on open ground and open neutral. On each of the past 2 weekends it shut us off, once on open neutral and once on reverse polarity. Sure glad we have an EMS. We have a hardwired 30 amp version - always there, always taking care of us. Unfortunately, TRC has called their equivalent to the EMS a "Surgeguard".

We also have a Hughes autoformer. Well worth the investment. When the voltage gets too low and your EMS will shut you down, it will keep you going. Can't imagine what it'd be like not being able to run the AC in hot weather.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
I wouldn't waste my $$ on a surge protector only. Won't protect you against unsafe conditions which can be even be dangerous. You're more likely to be a victim of low voltage, open neutral and/or reverse polarity. In the 5 or so years we've had the PI EMS, it's hardly ever shut us down and usually on low voltage. Shut us of once on open ground and open neutral. On each of the past 2 weekends it shut us off, once on open neutral and once on reverse polarity. Sure glad we have an EMS. We have a hardwired 30 amp version - always there, always taking care of us. Unfortunately, TRC has called their equivalent to the EMS a "Surgeguard".

We also have a Hughes autoformer. Well worth the investment. When the voltage gets too low and your EMS will shut you down, it will keep you going. Can't imagine what it'd be like not being able to run the AC in hot weather.
I agree 100% with Surgeguard. Very deceptive. Newbies don't know or learn the difference between a Surge protector and an EMS. Surgeguard is a product name. Not an equipment name. Love my auto trans. Not a Hughes.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:05 PM   #36

Quote:

My progressive plug in surge protector tells me if there is reverse polarity, open ground , low or high voltage etc . it is also a surge protector . you don't need a hardwired unit for the benefits
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
My progressive plug in surge protector tells me if there is reverse polarity, open ground , low or high voltage etc . it is also a surge protector . you don't need a hardwired unit for the benefits
Have indication only and won't shut your power off automatically like an EMS does. Of course you don't need a hardwired unit, but hardwired avoids an additional connection in the power circuit (can overheat), an overheated pedestal to shore power plug (on a portable unit) won't damage it, it can't get stolen or left behind and although they are "weather resistant" they aren't waterproof. The hardwired version also has better specs on surge protection (1,790J /44,000A versus 825J /22,500A).
Old 08-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Have indication only and won't shut your power off automatically like an EMS does. Of course you don't need a hardwired unit, but hardwired avoids an additional connection in the power circuit (can overheat), an overheated pedestal to shore power plug (on a portable unit) won't damage it, it can't get stolen or left behind and although they are "weather resistant" they aren't waterproof. The hardwired version also has better specs on surge protection (1,790J /44,000A versus 825J /22,500A).

Name:	What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	183527
Old 08-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Indication is all i need . if it tells me a fault is there i don't plug in until corrected . four yrs out in the weather no issues . not stolen and any loose pedestal can damage the plug end either on the protector or your own plug . it boils down to costs and need . this is all i need and has worked great and fits in my budget . many of the rich members can get all the extra bells and whistles they want . with me it's needs
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote