Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #1

30 AMP to 50amp?

My RV is wired for 30 AMP but that's not enough Power, so can I change to 50 amp?
bill2004lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
Site Team

You don't say what RV you have, nor is it in your signature, but by looking at your profile I see that it's a '04 Lexington. It helps if you put your RV in your sig so people can see what you have when asking questions.

Having said that. It all depends on how accessible the power service is and how the circuits are wired. If you have multiple circuits at the power panel it won't be too difficult to change it.

I changed our RV from 30 amp to 50 amp service, but I was lucky that not only was the service from the outside to the power panel accessible, but I had access to the walls and into the ceiling, so splitting the circuits and running new circuits was relatively easy.

It would help if you could post a couple of pics of the outside power inlet and the power panel with circuit labels.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #3

2004 Lexington Not enough power

The onl access to the Ceiling is thru the lights!
I replaced the power panel a few years ago but not enough powe and no breakers available!
bill2004lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
D W

X2 what Bama Rambler posted. The first thing you need to do is figure out your absolute amperage power requirements are and work from there. Keep in mind that with your current 30A service chances are that your regular outlets are probably on a branch circuit wired with AWG 14 which will only handle 15A safely regardless of what you have at your service entrance. You stated you replaced the panel? Did you replace it with another 30A or 50A?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #5

I would stick to 30 and remember the "2 out of 3" rule.

you have 3 power suckers
1) microwave
2) electric hot water
3) AC/Heat pump.

you can only run 2 of the 3 at one time. so I would just turn off the hot water heater during cooking hours. (or switch to Propane hotwater).

PS: you can also run hot water on both electric AND Propane at same time come evening when you remember you turned OFF the hot water heater at dinner time
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Team

If you have access from the outside connector to the power center where you can run a new #6 cable it may be worth it to upgrade to 50 amp service. Provided your microwave, water heater, A/C, etc. are on separate circuits. Just going from 30 amps on one leg to 50 amps on that same leg would allow you 20 more amps if the high draw devices are on separate circuits.

As D W eluded to, all the receptacles in your RV may be on one 15 amp circuit. If that's the case then no matter how much you increase the service coming in, you'll never be able to draw more than 15 amps through that circuit. UNLESS, you can access the wiring where you can split the circuit. OR if you can add a receptacle or a few.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Anything can be done, it's just a matter of how you want it to look.

I'll mention again, unless you have access to be able to run new circuits, simply supplying the power center with 50a isn't going to do anything for you. You'll need to split the circuits to their own breaker(s) and run new wiring as 30a R'V typically have ALL the outlets daisy chained together.

What in particular are you having issues with?

I've successfully run my refrigerator (at times) and my water heater (at other times) off an extension cord plugged into the 20a outlet at the pedestal using the appropriate extension cord and running it to the appliances supply cord, freeing up that current in the box for other things.

You could also think about adding a 15a/20a shore power connector to the side of your R/V and wiring it to an appropriate breaker box or designated duplex outlet.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #8

I did like 5picker suggested. I have a separate 15/20 amp inlet that supplies an isolated duplex outlet by my dinette. I hook up an extra supply when I can and use that for portable power suckers, electric heater, toaster, coffeemaker, etc. Other than that I use the above mentioned 2/3 rule when using a 30 Amp supply. Electric water heater, Air Conditioner, microwave, pick two.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #9

what are you trying to run? what towpro said is a good rule of thumb. during cold weather camping when running space heaters I plug into the 20 amp oulet on the pedestal and run a cord through the slide seal to get some extra juice.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
what are you trying to run? what towpro said is a good rule of thumb. during cold weather camping when running space heaters I plug into the 20 amp oulet on the pedestal and run a cord through the slide seal to get some extra juice.
This will work if you have a 50A pedestal, but not always on a 30A pedestal. In many 30A parks there is a second 30A breaker upstream from the pedestal in a locked area. If more than 30A is drawn from the pedestal it may trip. These usually need to be reset by park employees.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote