Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #1

30 Amp Trip

How much 110+ power can you use in your unit before a Breaker trips? This would be at the Same time. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have a digital readout of the amps load from my hard-wired surge protector and have seen 32-33A displayed. I then shut something off as I know a trip will follow if left a while.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

HowStuffWorks "Basic Circuit Breaker Design"

There are two types of breakers. MOST inexpensive ones use a bi-metallic strip that needs to get hot enough to bend away from the contact to trip the switch to the "tripped" position.

Since the "quickness" of the trip depends on how much heat is being produced, a small overload can take several minutes to heat the strip enough to release the switch. The higher the overload current the quicker it will trip.

Some breakers use an electromagnet to pull the trip lever. Once the overload current reaches a point where the magnet is strong enough, the circuit will open.

Even with the electromagnet style, there are tolerances (say 30 amps + 1 amp). The circuit may open early or late depending on where the actual current flow needed to trip it falls.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
How much 110+ power can you use in your unit before a Breaker trips? This would be at the Same time. Youroo!!
Why u ask ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #5

Maybe you're asking "power", normally measured in watts? That would be about 120x30= 3600 watts.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Depending on what is going on in the camper at the time, I have seen my AC amperage meter spike above 30 amps (31 or 32) several times over the last few months without tripping the post or camper main breaker. Since the spike never lasts more than a few seconds (typically a hair curler in use when the AC kicked on) the breakers hold.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Why u ask ?
Just seems to be several members say they can use (ALL)-MW-A/C-W/H-Coffee Maker-Hair Dryer- and not trip a Breaker! I don't buy it. Youroo!!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Just seems to be several members say they can use (ALL)-MW-A/C-W/H-Coffee Maker-Hair Dryer- and not trip a Breaker! I don't buy it. Youroo!!
I think some of it could be A lot of those items cycle. A/c Compressor not always running and when it is its relatively low amperage (10-15) its the kick in that's hard, and most of the time breakers will handle a fairly large start load. Some coffee pots hot plate cycle with temp, microwaves cycle.

I have run A/C, coffee pot and hair dryer at same time.
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
HowStuffWorks "Basic Circuit Breaker Design"

There are two types of breakers. MOST inexpensive ones use a bi-metallic strip that needs to get hot enough to bend away from the contact to trip the switch to the "tripped" position.

Since the "quickness" of the trip depends on how much heat is being produced, a small overload can take several minutes to heat the strip enough to release the switch. The higher the overload current the quicker it will trip.

Some breakers use an electromagnet to pull the trip lever. Once the overload current reaches a point where the magnet is strong enough, the circuit will open.

Even with the electromagnet style, there are tolerances (say 30 amps + 1 amp). The circuit may open early or late depending on where the actual current flow needed to trip it falls.
Herk, I just sit and wounder how you have all this information. What you posted is exactly true. A breaker will hold up to 10% over the rating for a short period of time such as a surge, but will trip if if it is longer then seconds. That is why you size a breaker for start up amps like your A/C when it comes on. With saying that it will only hold for seconds until the motor gets out of the start wind and into the run amps. You just constantly amaze me with your post.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Youroo, It will depend what you have on and using at the time there is number of post on what the amp draw is on different 110V Appliances. Then you have to think about the amp draw that you plug into the electrical sockets and is running at the time. Would I have my microwave running with my A/C and my wife drying her hair? The answer is no it would trip a 30 amp breaker every time. I would hope the trailer tripped before the pedestal.........

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
This is possible with 50 amp service (not 30 amp service).
Old 08-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
This is possible with 50 amp service (not 30 amp service).
Seems like (2) members just posted about not being able to run their Fire places and Micro at the same time,and they are (50) AMP. Youroo!!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Seems like (2) members just posted about not being able to run their Fire places and Micro at the same time,and they are (50) AMP. Youroo!!
Oh, NOT being able to...

That is correct. The fireplace (depending on model) is either 1500 watt or 2000 watts. The Microwave is 1100 watts (with an induction load - startup current - for the magnetron).

Just those two items ALONE can exceed 30 amps. In my camper there is a wall switch that selects one or the other and never both at the same time.

Microwave and air conditioner is "dicey" as the sum of the amperages depends on whether the compressor/fan is peaking at the same time as the magnetron. It may work sometimes and not others.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Any chance the fireplace and microwave are on the same subcircuit? Was it the main breaker tripping or a smaller breaker inside the RV panel tripping?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Any chance the fireplace and microwave are on the same subcircuit? Was it the main breaker tripping or a smaller breaker inside the RV panel tripping?
They're talking about the case where there is a switch to allow only one of the two to run. Nothing is tripping.

Also, I don't see youroo's post that is being quoted anymore so I suspect he edited it. I don't think we have any evidence that this is happening in a 50-amp service RV. (They shouldn't have wired it that way if it is.)

I believe this is the original thread being referred to: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ver-21966.html
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706
They're talking about the case where there is a switch to allow only one of the two to run. Nothing is tripping.

Also, I don't see youroo's post that is being quoted anymore so I suspect he edited it. I don't think we have any evidence that this is happening in a 50-amp service RV. (They shouldn't have wired it that way if it is.)

I believe this is the original thread being referred to: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ver-21966.html
Barry can't be fur certain, but I believe I remember at least two posts where people claimed they run tons of loads on a 30 amp cord. One even claimed it's cause the equip only draws full current part of the tiime. (not really). This I would guess in the last two weeks is maybe what Youroo is referring to.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #17

Actually Youroo has brought up both topics (posts 7 & 12). Very confusing isn't it! ;-)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Barry can't be fur certain, but I believe I remember at least two posts where people claimed they run tons of loads on a 30 amp cord. One even claimed it's cause the equip only draws full current part of the tiime. (not really). This I would guess in the last two weeks is maybe what Youroo is referring to.
You are correct. Youroo!!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Actually Youroo has brought up both topics (posts 7 & 12). Very confusing isn't it! ;-)
Post # 12 was in reply to Herks post. I was talking about (30A) then (50A) somhow got into the Fight? Youroo!!