Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #1

Exclamation 30 to 50 amp service

We have a 36' TT and only have 30 amp service. We would like to upgrade to 50 amp service. Our power distribution center onboard is rated to 55 amps but only has a 30 amp breaker installed. Does this mean that I could replace the breaker with a 2 pole 50 amp breaker and just re run the wire to the inlet on the side of the camper and replace the inlet plug and that is all that I would have to do or is this way over my head?
Bigmoney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Jack of All Trades

I don't understand why. Are you doing this just to be able to connect to a 50A service or are you adding more load to your trailer?
4x4dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:00 AM   #3

We are adding more load to the trailer by adding another air conditioner and changing out the water heater with a tankless one.
Bigmoney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
Jack of All Trades

Then yes, at a minimum, you'll have to swap out your 10 awg power entrance cord to at least a 8 awg. If you are making an extra long cord, or going to put and extension on it ever, I'd go with 6 awg to combat voltage drop. As far as the breaker swap, I'm new to TT's so I'm not sure if they are swappable or not. If the breaker has a brand name on it, I can probably point you where to get one. Lowes carries Square D, Murray, Cutler BR and CH, and GE if they are using standard breakers in them. If not, find the brand and model number and google.
4x4dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:04 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You have to run new service inside the camper from where you plug in to all the way to the distribution center.

So no you cant change the breaker.
You also have to change out the distribution center .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #6

Therare a few variables to consider. I just did a 50A service upgrade on mine and it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't a peice of cake either.

First you have to determine whether you distribution box's load center, (the part with the breakers) has a single bar or 2 poles. You can look up the part number for the distribution center and find out if it is rated for 120VAC only or if it can handle 120VAC or 240VAC. If it can go either then you're pretty much set to just swap out the cord and do a small bit of wiring and change the main breaker.

If it is rated as 120VAC only, you'll have to change out the load center and redo the entire setup. This is the route I had to go.

I can help you step by step with this but I'm not going to type it all up on here just yet (busy right now). Find out what type of load center you have first and post back here. If you have to go the same route I did just holler if you need assistance.
Bmbrady77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp, service