Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Ok.
Posts: 20
Send a message via ICQ to dduncan Send a message via AIM to dduncan Send a message via Yahoo to dduncan
30Amp & 20Amp Y for 50Amp Service

We are looking at new travel trailers and 5th wheel. They all have 50 Amp Service. Our dealer said they have a Y that goes for the 50 Amp Service to A 30 Amp and 20 Amp service. Has anyone herd of this before? Can this be safe?

Thanks for the help
__________________

__________________
dduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduncan View Post
We are looking at new travel trailers and 5th wheel. They all have 50 Amp Service. Our dealer said they have a Y that goes for the 50 Amp Service to A 30 Amp and 20 Amp service. Has anyone herd of this before? Can this be safe?

Thanks for the help
They are sometimes called cheater pigtails. Even so, and if they worked as promised they could ONLY provide 50 amps (6000 watts) total.

My understanding, is that the 20 amp outlet can't be a gfci one either, for that side to work. Most campgrounds I stay in, the 20 amp is a gfci outlet. It even states so here:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...heater-box.htm

and here

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...-adapter/25774

What most people don't understand just starting off is that a 50 amp RV uses what is called a 120/240 volt split phase service. This means they have 50 amps on two lines for a total of 100 amps (12000) watts. It would be less confusing to say it's a 50x2 service.

Check out this link below(with all the links on the lefthand side) which should help familiarize yourself with your RV's electrical, as well as testing outlets (a very safe practice you need to do). It will explain it in better detail about the 50 amp service and there is even a link that explains the 30/20 cheater pigtail.

Hope this helps.

RV Electric

EDIT: Other reading on problems with this setup:

http://www.rvamerica.com/TownTalk/RV...s/Default.aspx
__________________

__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Ok.
Posts: 20
Send a message via ICQ to dduncan Send a message via AIM to dduncan Send a message via Yahoo to dduncan
thanks for the info. So do you think you can run 2 Air Conditioners if you are not using the microwave, hairdryer, or other hi using apliances with 30 amp adapter or with the cheater Y? It gets hot in Oklahoma in july and august at the lake.
__________________
dduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,563
Maybe it's just me but do these units your looking at have 50 amp or 30 amp service? In otherwords, is the cable a 50 amp or 30 amp cable for powering the unit?
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Berkshire 390QS
 
NO3putt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pueblo Colorado
Posts: 1,251
Most AC are on seperate legs (breakers) and most likely you will have 30 amps on one and only 20 amps on the other. May or may not work. I'm taking it the RV park or state campgeound only has 30 amp service. Would highly recommend you have a good surge protector like a progressive industries 50 amp hard wired one so if you get into a low voltage service it would protect you electronics.

If you dealer says it can be done, let him show you how it's done on his lot before you buy. Then turn on both AC's and let them run and watch how hot the 20 amp extension cord gets.
__________________
2011: 54 days, 2012: 218 days, 2013: 175 days, 2014: 196 days
2015: 188 days, 2016: 72 days, 2017: 185
2009 Berkshire, 390QS, and toad
Skip
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:08 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Ok.
Posts: 20
Send a message via ICQ to dduncan Send a message via AIM to dduncan Send a message via Yahoo to dduncan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Maybe it's just me but do these units your looking at have 50 amp or 30 amp service? In otherwords, is the cable a 50 amp or 30 amp cable for powering the unit?

All the trailers we have looked at are 50 amp service meaning the cable is 50 amp. The service at most lakes we camp at are 30 amp hook up with 30 Amp female plug and two 20 Amp female
plugs. most are Corp of Engineer or state parks.
__________________
dduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:13 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Ok.
Posts: 20
Send a message via ICQ to dduncan Send a message via AIM to dduncan Send a message via Yahoo to dduncan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Most AC are on seperate legs (breakers) and most likely you will have 30 amps on one and only 20 amps on the other. May or may not work. I'm taking it the RV park or state campgeound only has 30 amp service. Would highly recommend you have a good surge protector like a progressive industries 50 amp hard wired one so if you get into a low voltage service it would protect you electronics.

If you dealer says it can be done, let him show you how it's done on his lot before you buy. Then turn on both AC's and let them run and watch how hot the 20 amp extension cord gets.

Thanks for the good info. How does the surge protector work with low voltage. Would it shut everything down until voltage was restored?
__________________
dduncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by dduncan View Post
All the trailers we have looked at are 50 amp service meaning the cable is 50 amp. The service at most lakes we camp at are 30 amp hook up with 30 Amp female plug and two 20 Amp female
plugs. most are Corp of Engineer or state parks.
I think I would check with the individuals running the facility to see if it is ok to use the Y interconnect. Some facilities do not allow the use of the cheater Y hookup. With only 30 amps if both AC's were to start at the same time the CB's may open. Not sure with the Y connection. I do not have experience with your delima so my input would be null and void. Hey, just try it and see what happens. Yeah, Texas is hot in the summer, that's why we leave Texas and go to Colorado/Wyoming for the summer. Happy camping.
__________________
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,775
You might be able to run both ac's with 30 amps, but would need to start them at different times most likely, and very few other electronics.

You might look around, I've seen a few sites that only had 30amp service, but every place we've been has 50 available at some sites. (If not at all sites). For Alot of the Corp parks you can find that info on the web, and reserve some sites as well.
We are in Chandler, Oklahoma just a little north of you. We have yet to stay at a spot without 50 amp. We've been to several around Eufaula, Keystone, and Chandler and Stroud.
And yes if you get a bigger trailer you will need both a/cs here in Ok.
Happy campin'!!

Millertime- Sabre Handler
__________________
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #10
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,793
I've only attempted to run our 2 A/Cs (15k and 13.5k) once or twice on 30amp and each time it blew the pedestal breaker. I'm not sure what else we had running, though.
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
service

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.