Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 11:49 PM   #1

30M to 50F dog bone adapter problems

I have a 2014 V-Lite 30WTBSS. It's a 50 amp service. Everything works as expected when plugged into a 50 amp outlet.

I have purchased 2 different brands of the 30M to 50F "dog bone" adapters (Camco and another common brand name that escapes me at the moment). Only some of my GFI outlets work when I use either of the adapters. I have used them with different 30 amp outlets and a 4000/3500 generator.

Am I missing something? I would expect all of the outlets to work when using the adapter.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Matt
2014 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WTBS (broken and TOTALED)
2008 Surveyor SV-234 (SOLD, but not forgotten)
2016 GMC Sierra SLT 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 04:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Matt, yes when you use the proper adapter, even though you will be limited to a total of 30 amps (instead of the 100 amps, which is 50 amps per line)..everything should work in the RV.

You stated it all works when hooked to a 50 amp outlet. However, I must ask if you have RECHECKED it on a 50 amp outlet, since trying to hook it to a 30 amp outlet/generator ....to confirm again that the outlets are still working when hooked to a 50 amp. If you haven't rechecked it (and are just remembering they all did work previously), then it may be possible that the outlets aren't working on a 50 or 30 amp connection now.

The reason I ask this, is it sounds like you may have possibly tripped a master gfci outlet (and they do trip easily), thus all the outlets downstream of this master one will not function, being on the same circuit. You may want to check your bathroom and/or kitchen for a tripped master gfci outlet near the sinks.....and also some RV's have one in pass thru storage hatches.

Here is a 30 amp and 50 amp schematic, along with the adapter that shows you how it "jumps" L1.

A normal 30 amp RV service (with 30 amp single pole circuit breaker) has 30 amps total on L1, a neutral, and ground wire.

A normal 50 amp RV service (with 50 amp double pole circuit breaker) has 100 amps total, with 50 amps on L1, another 50 amps on L2, a neutral, and ground wire.

Using the adapter and 30 amp RV (with 30 amp single pole breaker) service, you then have 30 amps on L1a, and the shared/jumped L1b 30 amps on L2, a neutral, and ground wire.

The schematic above has the voltage values you should get from each line with the adapter plugged in, if you want to check it all with a multi-meter to confirm it is as it's supposed to be.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the detailed response!

I will recheck the outlets the next time I am at a 50-amp source (could be a while). In the mean time, I will use the schematic to check both of my adapters.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 10-01-2014, 12:11 AM   #4

I tested both of the adapters per the diagram you provided and both are working as expected--120V to each leg. I guess that means I'll need to find a 50-amp power source and check my outlets again...although a 30-amp should work now that I'm convinced the adapters are working.

Thanks again for the help.

Matt

PS: It never ceases to feel weird to stick long metal things into a hot outlet.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:32 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmdsmith View Post
I tested both of the adapters per the diagram you provided and both are working as expected--120V to each leg. I guess that means I'll need to find a 50-amp power source and check my outlets again...although a 30-amp should work now that I'm convinced the adapters are working.

Thanks again for the help.

Matt

PS: It never ceases to feel weird to stick long metal things into a hot outlet.
Matt, now that you know that part of the "power chain" is working, we need to go to some other links in it.

If you have a detachable power cord to your RV, then you can detach it from the RV, but plug it into the adapter. Now, you can use the multi-tester and make sure that you have 120 volts going thru the cord....on both legs. If this checks good, then you can also eliminate the cord itself from being a potential source of the problem.

You can hook it back to the RV, and then go inside. I seriously doubt you are having incoming power problems, as more than just some outlets wouldn't function if this was the case. I feel the problem is as below.

As I stated in my original post, it sounds like you possibly have a master gfci outlet tripped. Look in your bathroom for a master gfci outlet, and push the reset button on it. Also look in your kitchen area for another master gfci outlet and press the reset button on it too. The "master" outlets are usually located near sinks and can be on the wall, the side of a counter, underneath overhead cabinets, etc.

You may also find a master gfci in a pass thru storage hatch, if so, press the reset on it.

(Pic below is just an example and your gfci may look different)

If a master gfci outlet trips, then ALL the outlets that are connected to it downstream in that circuit will also have their power disconnected.

It may seem weird, but the gfci master outlet in your bathroom, may have other outlets daisy chained to it that are located in other parts of the RV. Same goes for any other master gfci outlets.

Also, these RV gfci outlets are notorious for going bad, and needing replacing....but let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope it's as simple as a tripped one that can be reset.

On another note, have you checked your electrical panel inside your RV, just to confirm a breaker hasn't tripped, that may control the circuit the outlets are on. Using a hair dryer, coffee pot, or other high wattage appliance, may have possibly tripped the breaker.

The link below shows a pic of a 50 amp RV electrical panel:

http://rv52.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/IMG_1443.jpg

Here is also another pic of a gfci outlet

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:56 PM   #6

So it turns out that my breaker labeled "refer" is actually my second string of GFI outlets. When running on my generator, I had flipped off all of the breakers except for GFI, Mains, and one A/C.

Thanks for all of your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1412387332485.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	64066  
Old 10-04-2014, 06:17 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmdsmith View Post
So it turns out that my breaker labeled "refer" is actually my second string of GFI outlets. When running on my generator, I had flipped off all of the breakers except for GFI, Mains, and one A/C.

Thanks for all of your help!
Good deal. Sometimes it turns out to be the simplest of all things. I wish I had thought to mention the breakers at first instead of last. It might have saved a lot of time and aggravation.

Well, in any case, you may have a better understanding of your entire electrical system now, for any future problems you may encounter.

One side note, as you mentioned you turned off your converters circuit breaker. The converter is what converts 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC, as well as recharging your battery. If you turn it off, then the things in your RV that work off of 12 volt (lights, pumps, fans, furnace, fridge on 12 volt, etc) would then draw all of their power directly from the battery. Once you drain the battery due to their operation, then these things won't function, since there is also no way for your battery to be recharged being the converter is the battery recharger.

I would recommend leaving the converter breaker on, when using the generator.

Mark Polk probably explains it better than I can below:

http://rveducation101.com/articles/RVConverters.pdf

Old 10-04-2014, 06:42 AM   #8

I had a similar problem when we purchases our new 5th wheel this year. Water heater wouldn't work on electric. After studying breaker panel long enough, I found same issue you have. Labels don't correspond with breakers. You have to match them up starting from the center outward.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote