Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #1

4-6volt flooded to 4-12 volt sealed

For the battery gurus.
We do not remote camp. Can I replace 4-6 volt flooded "Power Volt" batteries to 4-12 volt sealed deep cycle batteries. Probably Interstate.
Thanks ahead
Larry

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:05 PM   #2

If you don't dry camp i.e. boondock one 12 volt battery is sufficient? Why 4 batteries?
Old 04-10-2016, 01:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
If you don't dry camp i.e. boondock one 12 volt battery is sufficient? Why 4 batteries?
We have a residential fridge with an inverter, so it is just for driving purposes. The rv came with 4-6 volt flooded. I'm looking for convenience. I'm pretty sure the switch would be ok, I just thought I would get a definite answer here.
Thanks
Larry

2016 Silverado Dually
Old 04-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #4

Sure...no problem. Of course the question might be why? Since 4 6's are usually the way everyone goes from 4 12's, but no problem.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:21 PM   #5

Even when driving one 12 volt would do, especially if the fridge were turned off, while driving. However since you have a residential fridge it probably came with the 4-6 volt batteries. That is so that you can run the fridge for a period of time, depending on ambient temps and how often the fridge cycles! But if you are going from external power source to external power source 2-6's or 2-12's would be more than enough
Old 04-10-2016, 03:31 PM   #6

Agree with all other post, just make sure if you go to 12 volt you wire them correctly or you could get 24 volts instead of 12.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Even when driving one 12 volt would do, especially if the fridge were turned off, while driving. However since you have a residential fridge it probably came with the 4-6 volt batteries. That is so that you can run the fridge for a period of time, depending on ambient temps and how often the fridge cycles! But if you are going from external power source to external power source 2-6's or 2-12's would be more than enough
So in reality, maybe I'm over thinking this. 2-12 deep cycle sealed batteries wired parallel would be ok. I guess the 4-6s and 4-12s confused everyone. I did not ask correctly. 4-6volt batteries switched out for 2-12 volt deep cycle sealed batteries wired parallel. Correct? And I would only use them with the inverter for the fridge when traveling from one destination to another. No dry camping at all. Am I making sence now. I hope I hope.

2016 Silverado Dually
Old 04-11-2016, 04:55 AM   #8

Since you don't dry camp, it wouldn't make much difference. You will still maintain 12V if wired correctly in parallel, but your total amps would be less. You will also save some weight.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdrj5 View Post
Since you don't dry camp, it wouldn't make much difference. You will still maintain 12V if wired correctly in parallel, but your total amps would be less. You will also save some weight.

Good luck,
Don
So I could even get by with just one 12 for no dry camping and using the inverter for the fridge while driving? Or do I still need 2?

2016 Silverado Dually
Old 04-11-2016, 05:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
So I could even get by with just one 12 for no dry camping and using the inverter for the fridge while driving? Or do I still need 2?
I would say probably yes, but I will leave that answer to someone who actually has that set up. I have four 6V batteries because of my residential fridge, but I do not dry camp either.

With one 12V battery you would have considerably less total amperage.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #11

My Cardinal came with two 12 volt batteries and the residential refrigerator. No problem keeping the refrigerator runnin full time on our first trip to Florida and back.

CruiserJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserJoe View Post
My Cardinal came with two 12 volt batteries and the residential refrigerator. No problem keeping the refrigerator runnin full time on our first trip to Florida and back.
How many hours did you travel with the inverter on. And how many hours stopping. Did you stop at walmarts or go into campgrounds.

2016 Silverado Dually
Old 04-11-2016, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
So in reality, maybe I'm over thinking this. 2-12 deep cycle sealed batteries wired parallel would be ok. I guess the 4-6s and 4-12s confused everyone. I did not ask correctly. 4-6volt batteries switched out for 2-12 volt deep cycle sealed batteries wired parallel. Correct? And I would only use them with the inverter for the fridge when traveling from one destination to another. No dry camping at all. Am I making sence now. I hope I hope.
I think your question has been answered in one of the latest posts! I would think the 2-12 volt would be sufficient, however you have to keep in mind that those batteries are also used for house power, lights, fans etc. I think?? We don't have a residential fridge in our fifth, and we travel with the fridge off, and at times drive for 6-8 hours a day and the contents remain cool and frozen! Now maybe our temps 75-85 aren't as high as were you will be driving and that could make a difference! Experiment is the only way to know!
Old 04-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #14

you have to do some figuring...

4 - 6 volt batteries... read the AH (amp hour rating) on one of the batteries and multiply by 2 (YES 2) to get total power available at 12 volts.

you might have to get online and look... this is a sample taken from the Trojan battery page... the lower amperage you pull from the battery, then the longer the battery will last.
5-Hr Rate
10-Hr Rate
20-Hr Rate
100-Hr Rate

2 - 12 volt batteries... read the AH (amp hour rating) on one of the batteries and multiply by 2 to get total power available at 12 volts.

again this is a sample from Trjan battery site for a deep cycle battery
5-Hr Rate
10-Hr Rate
20-Hr Rate
100-Hr Rate

As you can see the 6 volt battery has a much higher AH rating than a 12 Volt battery, which means 4 - 6 volt batteries will last much longer than 2 - 12volt batteries and will not be drawn down as low before recharging.

IMO... Going to one 12V battery to power a fridge I don't think is an option, but MAYBE 2 -12 volt will do the job depending on how long you want that fridge powered on.

Personally, I stuff my freezer with hard cold ice, and keep the rest of the fridge stocked well and turn it off for travel. It has lasted that way for over 24 hours without a problem in summer weather, longer in cooler fall weather. It is only a small fridge.

I hope this helps explain what you need to know before makiing a decision

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #15

Remember that you are not supposed to discharge any lead acid battery beyond 50% of its capacity. A single 12 volt would probably hit that 50% mark in less than 6 hours. IMO, a pair of 12's would be the minimum needed.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #16

Two 6v (in series) will provide more AH than two 12v (parallel) for the same footprint.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:52 AM   #17

Quote:
How many hours did you travel with the inverter on. And how many hours stopping. Did you stop at walmarts or go into campgrounds.
Usually travel 6-7 hours a day with short rest stops every 2-3 hours. Short stops OK to leave truck hooked up with inverter on. Dealer told me that if stopping for a long time to unplug the truck to prevent draining the truck batteries. Whenever stopping for the night, have shore power hookup.

CruiserJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:34 PM   #18

Quote:
For the battery gurus.
We do not remote camp. Can I replace 4-6 volt flooded "Power Volt" batteries to 4-12 volt sealed deep cycle batteries. Probably Interstate.
Thanks ahead
Larry

Why are you wanting to replace the 6 volt batteries? Are they bad?
I have a residential fridge and travel with it running on 1 12 volt battery. Remember that it gets charged from your TV while driving.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:50 PM   #19

Is it that you want to replace batteries that need maintenance (wet cell) with ones that don't (sealed agm/gel)? If that is the case then replace the 4 6v wet cell with 4 6v agm (sealed) would be my recommendation. There may come a time when you need the power. Last thing you'd want is the contents of the fridge to go bad or draw too much from the batteries (reduces the longevity)

I replaced 2 12v wet cell with 2 6v agm on my class c.

My 2cents
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, led