Old 04-10-2016, 01:40 PM   #1

4-6volt flooded to 4-12 volt sealed

For the battery gurus.
We do not remote camp. Can I replace 4-6 volt flooded "Power Volt" batteries to 4-12 volt sealed deep cycle batteries. Probably Interstate.
Thanks ahead
Larry

2016 Silverado Dually
2016 Cedar Creek Champagne 38el
Total Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:05 PM   #2

If you don't dry camp i.e. boondock one 12 volt battery is sufficient? Why 4 batteries?

Old 04-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
If you don't dry camp i.e. boondock one 12 volt battery is sufficient? Why 4 batteries?
We have a residential fridge with an inverter, so it is just for driving purposes. The rv came with 4-6 volt flooded. I'm looking for convenience. I'm pretty sure the switch would be ok, I just thought I would get a definite answer here.
Thanks
Larry

2016 Silverado Dually
Old 04-10-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

Sure...no problem. Of course the question might be why? Since 4 6's are usually the way everyone goes from 4 12's, but no problem.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #5

Even when driving one 12 volt would do, especially if the fridge were turned off, while driving. However since you have a residential fridge it probably came with the 4-6 volt batteries. That is so that you can run the fridge for a period of time, depending on ambient temps and how often the fridge cycles! But if you are going from external power source to external power source 2-6's or 2-12's would be more than enough
Old 04-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #6

Agree with all other post, just make sure if you go to 12 volt you wire them correctly or you could get 24 volts instead of 12.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Even when driving one 12 volt would do, especially if the fridge were turned off, while driving. However since you have a residential fridge it probably came with the 4-6 volt batteries. That is so that you can run the fridge for a period of time, depending on ambient temps and how often the fridge cycles! But if you are going from external power source to external power source 2-6's or 2-12's would be more than enough
So in reality, maybe I'm over thinking this. 2-12 deep cycle sealed batteries wired parallel would be ok. I guess the 4-6s and 4-12s confused everyone. I did not ask correctly. 4-6volt batteries switched out for 2-12 volt deep cycle sealed batteries wired parallel. Correct? And I would only use them with the inverter for the fridge when traveling from one destination to another. No dry camping at all. Am I making sence now. I hope I hope.

2016 Silverado Dually
Old 04-11-2016, 05:55 AM   #8

Since you don't dry camp, it wouldn't make much difference. You will still maintain 12V if wired correctly in parallel, but your total amps would be less. You will also save some weight.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdrj5 View Post
Since you don't dry camp, it wouldn't make much difference. You will still maintain 12V if wired correctly in parallel, but your total amps would be less. You will also save some weight.

Good luck,
Don
So I could even get by with just one 12 for no dry camping and using the inverter for the fridge while driving? Or do I still need 2?

2016 Silverado Dually
Old 04-11-2016, 06:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Bliss View Post
So I could even get by with just one 12 for no dry camping and using the inverter for the fridge while driving? Or do I still need 2?
I would say probably yes, but I will leave that answer to someone who actually has that set up. I have four 6V batteries because of my residential fridge, but I do not dry camp either.

With one 12V battery you would have considerably less total amperage.

Good luck,
Don

dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, led