Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2017, 06:53 AM   #1

4 plugs not working while plugged into 110 at home.

Hello everyone. Brand new owner of a 2011 Wolf Pack DFWP by forest river and a new RV'er. 3 weeks in. Anyway, took the rig to a park and stayed 2 days full hookup, 30 amp pedestal. All plugs and all appliances worked fine. Brought the rig home. Plugged into home out let in garage with an adapter from 30 amp rv cord to my 110 power at home. Now, I have no power to my tv outlet, and the 2 outlets in the bedroom. All other outlets work fine. I have one GFCI breaker in the bathroom, I tested it, and it works fine. No breakers are tripped, checked them several times. No bad fuses checked that several times to. When I first plugged in, if I had all my breakers on, it would trip the home plug in the garage I was using, it's a GFCI. So, by process of elimination, I was able to turn on all breakers but one that was labeled Generator. When I flipped it, it trip the garage GFCI. So, I am leaving that off. Anyway, all other breakers are fully functional and working properly. In order they go MAIN, AC,REFER, GFCI doorside, GENERATOR, WATER HEATER. Went through everything I knew to go through to figure out why the 3 outlets that were working at the park, are not working now and came to no conclusion. Is it possible they are on the Generator breaker? And also, why would that breaker trip the GFCI in the garage while none of the rest do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said I am new and have watched about a thousand YouTube videos and website trying to figure this out and now I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. Lol. Thanks in advance for taking the time to try and help a Newbie out. Mike.
MikeJJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJJohnson View Post
Hello everyone. Brand new owner of a 2011 Wolf Pack DFWP by forest river and a new RV'er. 3 weeks in. Anyway, took the rig to a park and stayed 2 days full hookup, 30 amp pedestal. All plugs and all appliances worked fine. Brought the rig home. Plugged into home out let in garage with an adapter from 30 amp rv cord to my 110 power at home. Now, I have no power to my tv outlet, and the 2 outlets in the bedroom. All other outlets work fine. I have one GFCI breaker in the bathroom, I tested it, and it works fine. No breakers are tripped, checked them several times. No bad fuses checked that several times to. When I first plugged in, if I had all my breakers on, it would trip the home plug in the garage I was using, it's a GFCI. So, by process of elimination, I was able to turn on all breakers but one that was labeled Generator. When I flipped it, it trip the garage GFCI. So, I am leaving that off. Anyway, all other breakers are fully functional and working properly. In order they go MAIN, AC,REFER, GFCI doorside, GENERATOR, WATER HEATER. Went through everything I knew to go through to figure out why the 3 outlets that were working at the park, are not working now and came to no conclusion. Is it possible they are on the Generator breaker? And also, why would that breaker trip the GFCI in the garage while none of the rest do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Like I said I am new and have watched about a thousand YouTube videos and website trying to figure this out and now I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. Lol. Thanks in advance for taking the time to try and help a Newbie out. Mike.
Does the circuit breaker actually say "generator" or is it perhaps "gen" or "general"? Usually general is for general circuit....not generator. Do you have a generator in your RV, or possibly a generator prepped package?

You can have more than one GFCI circuit, and I would guess you do since you have one circuit labeled GFCI doorside. This would indicate to me you also have another GFCI circuit (I'm thinking it's the general one if equipped).

Sometimes as noted on this forum, TWO GFCI circuits don't play well, which is why your RV's GFCI may be tripping your garages GFCI. Extension cords are also bad about causing it too.

Look for a second master GFCI in your RV. They are usually located near sinks either in the bathroom or kitchen. I'm thinking your general circuit breaker you have turned off, is why your other circuit is not functioning.

Try plugging into a non-gfci outlet at your house, then turn on the general CB and see if that solves the outlet problem.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJJohnson View Post
Well, you could fire up the generator and see if those outlets come alive, or start tracing for a loose or disconnected wire in that branch. I lost nine outlets early this year on our 2018 due to a neutral disconnected at a junction. Tech said it was a nightmare trying to trace it down.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

Man! Thanks for the quick response! Much appreciated! I just assumed it was for the generator. It does say gen, I believe, not the full word generator. I will give what you said a whirl. It makes sense to me now. Thanks so very much! I will let you know how it goes. Will find a separate plug also instead of the GFCI in the garage. I did go through entire rig looking for a second GFCI but didn't find any. Can't hurt to look real good again though. Also, I don't have a generator and didn't see a hook up for it. But I did buy it used so I thought maybe they eliminated it. Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:15 AM   #5
Site Team

Don't for get to look around the outside of the RV for another GFCI. Our last RV had a GFCI under the awning that also fed inside receptacles.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #6

I sure will. That is the side with the tv on it too. So that would make sense.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #7

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Check your fuses for a blown 30AMP,,,,,you might have reversed polarity.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #8

Thanks Jim. I'll give er a look. ��
Old 10-16-2017, 12:51 PM   #9

Man! Thanks for the quick response! Much appreciated! I just assumed it was for the generator. It does say gen, I believe, not the full word generator. I will give what you said a whirl. It makes sense to me now. Thanks so very much! I will let you know how it goes. Will find a separate plug also instead of the GFCI in the garage. I did go through entire rig looking for a second GFCI but didn't find any. Can't hurt to look real good again though. Also, I don't have a generator and didn't see a hook up for it. But I did buy it used so I thought maybe they eliminated it. Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #10

Thewolfpaq82, I sure hope that ain't the case! Unfortunately I have no generator. But if all else fails I may take it to a park where 30 amp is available and plug it in. If they all work there, that may help to narrow it down.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Does the circuit breaker actually say "generator" or is it perhaps "gen" or "general"? Usually general is for general circuit....not generator. Do you have a generator in your RV, or possibly a generator prepped package?

You can have more than one GFCI circuit, and I would guess you do since you have one circuit labeled GFCI doorside. This would indicate to me you also have another GFCI circuit (I'm thinking it's the general one if equipped).

Sometimes as noted on this forum, TWO GFCI circuits don't play well, which is why your RV's GFCI may be tripping your garages GFCI. Extension cords are also bad about causing it too.

Look for a second master GFCI in your RV. They are usually located near sinks either in the bathroom or kitchen. I'm thinking your general circuit breaker you have turned off, is why your other circuit is not functioning.

Try plugging into a non-gfci outlet at your house, then turn on the general CB and see if that solves the outlet problem.

X2
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:40 PM   #12

The simplest thing to do is take a volt meter and check to see if you have 120 coming out of the Gen/Generator breaker at the panel. It could be that the breaker went belly up when you plugged into the garage.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:30 AM   #13
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
Check your fuses for a blown 30AMP,,,,,you might have reversed polarity.
Reverse polarity fuses are in case you connect your battery (dc power) backward. The reverse polarity fuses have nothing to do with ac power, if it did they will blow constantly because ac goes from 0 volts to 120 volt positive, back to 0 volts, then to 120 volts negative at 60 times a second (cycles or Hz). Thus, 120 volt ac goes back and forth between positive and negative.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote