Old 06-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #1

50 Amp in 240V welder outlet

I have a friend who just picked up his new Silver Back yesterday. He took it home and plugged it into a 50amp 240v welder outlet and is having some issues. He has removed it from the 240v and plugged it into a 110 so mored damage will not happen.

What can he expect to find for damage? What kind of appliances, electrical components is he likely to have to repair/replace?

As you can imagine he is pretty sick about this. The side of the rig says 110/240 so he "assumed" this was all the same. Unfortunately this little bit of information was not broached during the PDI and maybe it shouldn't need to be. Unfortunatley for him it might have helped.

Thanks for the information.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Some or all appliances may have been ruined.

All you can do is start turning things on and see what werks and what doesn't.

Happens more often than you think.

Turbs

Old 06-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
I have a friend who just picked up his new Silver Back yesterday. He took it home and plugged it into a 50amp 240v welder outlet and is having some issues. He has removed it from the 240v and plugged it into a 110 so mored damage will not happen.

What can he expect to find for damage? What kind of appliances, electrical components is he likely to have to repair/replace?

As you can imagine he is pretty sick about this. The side of the rig says 110/240 so he "assumed" this was all the same. Unfortunately this little bit of information was not broached during the PDI and maybe it shouldn't need to be. Unfortunatley for him it might have helped.

Not being familiar with his model trailer, does he have a 50 amp (4 prong) or 30 amp (3 prongs) service on his trailer.

If it is a 30 amp (120 volt) and he plugged into a 220/240 volt service.......he could have fried the television, the microwave, possibly the 120 to 12 volt converter. He probably didn't have the air-conditioner running, so he may be OK there.

If BombDoc reads this, he can let you know what all needs to be replaced.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #4

Oops. Not sure what may have fried, but a fuse or breaker should of blown or tripped to protect the overvoltage. Just guessing here.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
Oops. Not sure what may have fried, but a fuse or breaker should of blown or tripped to protect the overvoltage. Just guessing here.
Not likely.

The spike kills before protection.

No if he'd had a surge or high voltage protection he'd have been fine.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #6

Oh, I thought the 110v went thru the protection board before going to outlets.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #7

It is the four prong plug. It amazes me that as Tubs says it happens too often why is there not some form of protection for this situation?

I am curious what might be a problem in the electrical system itself.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
It is the four prong plug. It amazes me that as Tubs says it happens too often why is there not some form of protection for this situation?

I am curious what might be a problem in the electrical system itself.
It's surprising that campers don't come with surge protection. But, let's be honest - which ever maker/model they choose, 50% or more people won't be happy with which one they choose.

This does sadly happen more often than you'd think. I know it's the 3rd or so here on the forum that I've seen.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Been there and done that! And, I was just as sick about it as he is. Tell him it will be ok. I know that doesn't sound like good advice, but it will. Thanks to several people on this forum, I didn't beat myself up too bad. As much as it pains me to say, I just chalked it up to the "learning curve". An expensive learning curve I might add.

I lost the TV, Microwave, and fireplace as well as the converter instantly!!
Ended up with a better TV than the rig came with (1080 vice 720).
Microwave had to be replaced and special ordered (It was already discontinued from Magic Chef and I had purchased the RV brand new 3 weeks prior to my incident).
Fireplace needed the entire circuit board replaced.
Converter.....I didn't notice this was bad until 3-4 weeks after the initial incident. Ended up have to replace that too.

Will go with the Progessive Industries protection as so many recommend on this forum soon.

It sucks, I know, but I learned an awful lot.
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
Oh, I thought the 110v went thru the protection board before going to outlets.
Nope.

2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote