Originally Posted by jeepman71
I have a friend who just picked up his new Silver Back yesterday. He took it home and plugged it into a 50amp 240v welder outlet and is having some issues. He has removed it from the 240v and plugged it into a 110 so mored damage will not happen.
What can he expect to find for damage? What kind of appliances, electrical components is he likely to have to repair/replace?
As you can imagine he is pretty sick about this. The side of the rig says 110/240 so he "assumed" this was all the same. Unfortunately this little bit of information was not broached during the PDI and maybe it shouldn't need to be. Unfortunatley for him it might have helped.
Thanks for the information.
Been there and done that! And, I was just as sick about it as he is. Tell him it will be ok. I know that doesn't sound like good advice, but it will. Thanks to several people on this forum, I didn't beat myself up too bad. As much as it pains me to say, I just chalked it up to the "learning curve". An expensive learning curve I might add.
I lost the TV, Microwave, and fireplace as well as the converter instantly!!
Ended up with a better TV than the rig came with (1080 vice 720).
Microwave had to be replaced and special ordered (It was already discontinued from Magic Chef and I had purchased the RV brand new 3 weeks prior to my incident).
Fireplace needed the entire circuit board replaced.
Converter.....I didn't notice this was bad until 3-4 weeks after the initial incident. Ended up have to replace that too.
Will go with the Progessive Industries protection as so many recommend on this forum soon.
It sucks, I know, but I learned an awful lot.