Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 74
To the guy with the 30 amp with the dog bone. How is it working? I have one and will be using it at the lake in one week.

Frank
__________________

__________________
Frankm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 631
When we go out west to Alberta, we will stay in St. Albert Kinsman campground. They only have 50 amp hook up. When some body comes in with just 30 amp, the manager will lend them a 30 to 50 amp adapter that plugs into the end of the 30 amp cord. No problems at all. I have a 30 amp outlet on the side of my house. I plug into the 50 amp inlet on the trailer with a 25 ft cord that goes from 50 to 30 amps. No problems. It's not rocket science.
__________________

__________________
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipeman View Post
When we go out west to Alberta, we will stay in St. Albert Kinsman campground. They only have 50 amp hook up. When some body comes in with just 30 amp, the manager will lend them a 30 to 50 amp adapter that plugs into the end of the 30 amp cord. No problems at all. I have a 30 amp outlet on the side of my house. I plug into the 50 amp inlet on the trailer with a 25 ft cord that goes from 50 to 30 amps. No problems. It's not rocket science.
No, not rocket science, but having read some good advice about what you can run and what you can't if you're used to a 50-amp rig that has to "make-do" with 30-amps is helpful.
__________________
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
another_newfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 684
Our 2014 Crusader 295RST has a 50A connection at the trailer. It is also pre-wired for a second A/C but we do not have it installed. Since a lot of our camping is done in Ontario Provincial Parks where for the most part they have 30A I decided to get a Conntek 14381 like the following:

Amazon.com: Conntek 14381 RV Pigtail Adapter RV 30 Amp Male Plug To 50 Amp 125/250 Volt Locking Female Connector: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I plug this into my trailer and use my 30A extension cords from our TT days. It also avoids me pulling out the MONSTER 50A cord which weighs far too much to haul around unless necessary.
__________________
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
dretired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
Our 2014 Crusader 295RST has a 50A connection at the trailer. It is also pre-wired for a second A/C but we do not have it installed. Since a lot of our camping is done in Ontario Provincial Parks where for the most part they have 30A I decided to get a Conntek 14381 like the following:

Amazon.com: Conntek 14381 RV Pigtail Adapter RV 30 Amp Male Plug To 50 Amp 125/250 Volt Locking Female Connector: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I plug this into my trailer and use my 30A extension cords from our TT days. It also avoids me pulling out the MONSTER 50A cord which weighs far too much to haul around unless necessary.
i WANT ONE OF THOSE !!!
__________________
2014 Crusader 325 TE....2012.. F 250.. Supercab XLT, 4x2 , diesel....days camped 2011 ... 28.... days camped 2012...115 ... days camped 2013...155...2014...171 and counting
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
dretired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankm2 View Post
To the guy with the 30 amp with the dog bone. How is it working? I have one and will be using it at the lake in one week.

Frank
Mine worked fine at a local State Park...just remember you have 30 amps to work with..and ...if you dont have a 2nd a/c to run..should be ok
__________________
2014 Crusader 325 TE....2012.. F 250.. Supercab XLT, 4x2 , diesel....days camped 2011 ... 28.... days camped 2012...115 ... days camped 2013...155...2014...171 and counting
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
another_newfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 684
dretired, I ordered mine from Amazon. Arrived a few days.
__________________
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
w4drr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 233
A little food for thought. This is not 30A vs 50A, but actually 30A vs 100A. 50A service is the same as 240V household service....hot-neutral-hot-ground....there are two 50A 120V phases. For the adaptor to work, that single 30A hot has to be split between the two 50A phases so that every circuit in the camper is powered.

Bob
__________________
Bob & Doris
Roanoke, VA
2009 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 - 5.7L - 6 Speed Auto - 4.30:1
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
5er_tom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 1,330
After posting that I would probally never use the 50 to 30 converter cord, I have now used it three times. Twice I was in a 50AMP only site, and once in a 30/50AMP site, but my power cord was too short, so I used it as an extension cord to get the extra two feet I needed to reach to power box.

It has turnd out to be a good purchase.
__________________
Tom & Renée
Durham, NC

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-665699166.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	37157

Here's the risk of a 50 amp breaker and a 30 amp "weak link", i've mentioned before.
Photo courtesty IRV2.
__________________

__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:33 PM.