Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #21

Another hint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin80232 View Post
[emoji106] Great idea! I know these questions seem very silly to some of you but as stated before, I am still learning
Here's another hint. Trailers typically have two circuits for outlets.

One is the GENeral circuit that's already been mentioned.

For safety, a separate circuit covers the outlets near the lavatory sink, the kitchen sink, and outside. These outlets will be on a different circuit connected to a Ground Fault breaker or (more likely) wired downstream from an GF outlet in the lavatory.

If you have two high-draw appliances, plug one into an outlet on the GEN circuit and one into an outlet on the GF circuit. This assumes that those two circuits are on separate legs of the 50 amp breaker. Given that your trailer seems to have been rewired, they may not be. In that case, get an RV electrician to swap wires around (show him this message). A household electrician will not be familiar with this situation.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #22

DW knows of a guy whose first RV was a used unit. The previous owner had a "step down" plug on the rig going down from 30 amps to 20 so that he could plug it into his garage when he had the rig at home.

The new buyer didn't know enough about electricity and would plug into campground pedestals without removing this plug. He was constantly tripping a circuit when the toaster and microwave were on at the same time!

I don't where he learned what he was doing was wrong - maybe on one of these forums!

-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
leave the breaker that trips OFF now go find one you can plug the heater in that works. problem solved.
Simple logical solution............

What I did notice is his electrical load center seems significantly smaller (fewer slots for breakers) than ours.

That could be why they have so many outlets on a single 15 am breaker.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:49 PM   #24

I would remove the breaker cover with the power cord unplugged and check wire connections and tighten screws. Just remember the fuses are 12 volt and still hot until you disconnect battery also.
Stormy
James Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:23 PM   #25

Another even easier thought is to turn off the heater for the few minutes you want to use the microwave! then turn it back on. it's called Energy Management.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:38 PM   #26

Agree a 15amp circuit is overloaded with a space heater and anything else significant. The breaker is working as it should. Cavies solutions are the simplest.

The thing that bothers me is the microwave appears to have it's own breaker by the labels anyway....if you pull out the microwave are there a few different outlets behind it and it's just plugged into the wrong one or did someone move it? If they did you can always plug the heater into that outlet (which you would find based on cavies advice).

I fail to understand why the top TWO pop as well unless it was just a one time thing.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Not so. There is no MOST involved here. SOME RV's have 30 amp 120 volt services. SOME Rv's have 50 amp 120/240 volt services. GANGED 50's as you call it.

NO RV's have a ganged 25 amp service. If you have seen one will you please post a picture of it.

I can't. Had a senior brain cramp when I wrote that, OP and others, please disregard what I wrote about the "ganged 25". I know better, I guess I was in a hurry, trying to help out. I thought I was the first to try, Glad to see it corrected.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:59 PM   #28
Site Team

That panel does not look like any factory installed panel I have ever seen. It appears the previous owner either had it rewired or did it himself. You are not going to be able to run two high current devices on any leg of that panel. I would turn off all the smaller breakers and turn on one at a time and try to figure out what you actually have.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:39 PM   #29
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
That panel does not look like any factory installed panel I have ever seen. It appears the previous owner either had it rewired or did it himself. You are not going to be able to run two high current devices on any leg of that panel. I would turn of all the smaller breakers and turn on one at a time and try to figure out what you actually have.
X2 Agreed.

The entire power center (wooden box mounting/wiring/etc.) screams aftermarket installation. You've got some diagnosing to do.

If you are not comfortable with electric, find a QUALIFIED service person familiar with R/V electric.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #30

Looking at the pictures, the whole mess needs a cleanup. You need a RV electrician to get your circuits squared away.
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #31
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
X2 Agreed.

The entire power center (wooden box mounting/wiring/etc.) screams aftermarket installation. You've got some diagnosing to do.

If you are not comfortable with electric, find a QUALIFIED service person familiar with R/V electric.
X3. That panel has had some serious "mods" done to it. No telling what's going on with the AC side. What jumped out at me is the DC side. Appears someone has added a foreign terminal PCB and placed it over top of the Panel decal and ran the 12v wires out from behind the panel in order to make connections. If you're not handy with electricity I'd advise you to enlist the assistance of a qualified electrician to sort it out.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:32 PM   #32

You are all offering excellent suggestions! I will look into an electrician specifically for travel trailers. I’m hoping that it can be figured out before my frustration level sends me into a tailspin LOL.

Thanks again truly for all of your input
Merlin80232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Simple logical solution............

What I did notice is his electrical load center seems significantly smaller (fewer slots for breakers) than ours.

That could be why they have so many outlets on a single 15 am breaker.
Your house probably has 10-12 per 15 amp breaker.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDON View Post
I can't. Had a senior brain cramp when I wrote that, OP and others, please disregard what I wrote about the "ganged 25". I know better, I guess I was in a hurry, trying to help out. I thought I was the first to try, Glad to see it corrected.
Been there done that.
Old 12-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #35

You are on the right track.

I suspect an electrician would insist on a new panel. All kinds of mixed stuff is asking for problems.

This is not a good place for learning about electricity.

We often camp in areas with only 30 amp service. Therefore something here is goofy! It should run two large draw items at a time. Carefully three sometimes.

We have a large fiver. My DW is the commander of load shedding/balancing. She knows how to run lots of stuff at the same time. Carefully.
tomkatb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Agree a 15amp circuit is overloaded with a space heater and anything else significant. The breaker is working as it should. Cavies solutions are the simplest.

The thing that bothers me is the microwave appears to have it's own breaker by the labels anyway....if you pull out the microwave are there a few different outlets behind it and it's just plugged into the wrong one or did someone move it? If they did you can always plug the heater into that outlet (which you would find based on cavies advice).

I fail to understand why the top TWO pop as well unless it was just a one time thing.
The top two are GFI and General. Pretty common in all RV's. 2 circuits in a small space such as a RV is common.

This is a very typical 6/12 circuit RV panel just like the one in my 32' Keystone. I don't know what is going non with the DC side but I'm sure it repairable. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the AC side. It is the panel that came with the RV.

These things were designed for using GAS FURNACES for heat. Not electric heaters. Pretty simple really. Not being used for the way it was designed.

1500 watt heater and anything else is gonna pop the breaker.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #37

I’ve been thinking about the situation quite a bit today and I’ve only had the trailer for about a month and a half and when I purchased it I purchased a three here mechanical warranty but I don’t know if it includes any electrical, so when I get home I am going to check all of the warrantee paperwork
Old 12-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #38

Quote:
The top two are GFI and General. Pretty common in all RV's. 2 circuits in a small space such as a RV is common. These things were designed for using GAS FURNACES for heat. Not electric heaters. Pretty simple really. Not being used for the way it was designed.

1500 watt heater and anything else is gonna pop the breaker.

I guess I’m a little confused by your statement because my trailer has an electric fireplace, am I not supposed to use it? If not why is it there? And by the way I can’t use the fireplace and a microwave at the same time either LOL
Old 12-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
I’ve been thinking about the situation quite a bit today and I’ve only had the trailer for about a month and a half and when I purchased it I purchased a three here mechanical warranty but I don’t know if it includes any electrical, so when I get home I am going to check all of the warrantee paperwork
I doubt any warranty will cover owner modifications. I suggest you get a new 50A distribution panel ( less than $100) and have it wired correctly.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #40

Quote:
I guess I’m a little confused by your statement because my trailer has an electric fireplace, am I not supposed to use it? If not why is it there? And by the way I can’t use the fireplace and a microwave at the same time either LOL
Many RV/s do in fact have the microwave and the fireplace on the same circuit. BUT because together they draw over the 15 amp limit of the circuit breaker they are both wired to there is a selector switch involved that you must select one or the other. Both at the same time will not work. It's called OHM's Law.

Tags
50 amp, breaker