Old 02-16-2015, 08:07 PM   #111
Many 50 amp units have 2 AC units. In this case one of the AC units would be wired with the convection oven.

Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:36 AM   #112
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
is that while running off a 30a 120v plug or a 50a 240v plug?

Major difference!

With a 30a plug you have 30a 120v feeding both hot legs of the campers distribution box. thus any spikes from the a/c startup are sure to trip the breaker if you have more than a few trinkets turned on as the entire camper is run off of that single 30amp 120v leg (3600w)

With 50a 240v you have 2 seperate 120v 50amp legs (6000w per leg for a total of 12000w combined) feeding 2 seperate 120v legs in the distribution panel. If the trailer was wired by someone with half a brain, the A/C would be on one leg, while other power hogs (ie conv oven) would be on the other so as to balance the legs and prevent things like the A/C from popping the breaker when their are other loads on the circuit

My TT is 30 A single AC unit. It's wired right. I added a convection oven to the outdoor kitchen. After a couple trips with the main breaker tripping I just run a separate extension cord to the power pole for my convection oven. Most campgrounds I have been to have a 30, 50, and 20A receptacles. It just makes sense so anybody can camp anywhere.

To the post about 120V instead of 110V. I have heard both used in conversation and seen both printed on product labels. Though I know what the outlets measure. The best thing to take away from both our posts is ohms law. Then you can convert from watts to amps as many appliances are rated in watts.

2013 Solaire Eclipse 317BHSK 2009 Denali XL Tow Vehicle with Equalizer distribution and sway control

PMickey is offline   Reply With Quote

50 amp