Old 03-05-2014, 07:16 AM   #31

This post made me order a 30 amp Progressive Industries Surge Protector

Old 03-05-2014, 07:24 AM   #32
Somewhat right of center

Man, I'm really sorry to hear that but thanks for the heads up. I never really thought about it....till now. I hope it works out but I think the only thing this knucklehead would understand is what rattleNsmoke mentioned.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #33

I was at two different campgrounds last year with wiring problems at the pedestal. My Progressive Industries unit has paid for itself several times.

2017 Salem Hemisphere 326RL
2009 Chevy Silveraldo 2500
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If you have a (Supper doper whatever) installed in your unit to Protect your Elect.system and you plug into a (Bad) Shore power supply,dont you still have to (Relocate or Wait for a Repair to be Made)? Youroo!!
And if you didn't have a super dooper whatever wouldn't you have to do the same?
What if you check the panel before you plug in it's fine but 3 hour's later the power goes wonky ?

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
And if you didn't have a super dooper whatever wouldn't you have to do the same?
What if you check the panel before you plug in it's fine but 3 hour's later the power goes wonky ?

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
The power may go (Wonky) but I bet nobody is going to (Sneek up and Change the Wires in the Power Box) after I hook up! Youroo!!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:59 AM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
The power may go (Wonky) but I bet nobody is going to (Sneek up and Change the Wires in the Power Box) after I hook up! Youroo!!
Before I bought the Franks Auto-transformer, I always checked the power and water before I started setting up. I hate tearing down after I get settled. See the "Tree" power "pole" at a campground in NH that had bad power.

I still do even though I bought the Franks power stabilizer/conditioner/surge protector (see my review). I still hate moving.

The Franks has saved me many, MANY times AFTER the initial check when power fluctuations on marginal circuits occurred.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1398.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	47198   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1069.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	47199   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1067.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	47200   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1068.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	47201  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:05 AM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
The worst thing is it doesn't (have) to happen at your power pedestal to affect (your) camper...

(They) may not have to.....
What if the neutral looses connection?
Or line voltage spikes?
Or falls below 100 volts.....
Maybe your step mod will save you from a (accidental) voltage mishap?

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
Old 03-05-2014, 08:54 AM   #38
RKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Imo spend the money and buy nothing less then a progressive industries unit or a Frank's autoformer. Nothing else period.

TURBS
Sabre owners united!

This is my last must have purchase before the season begins. I do not mess with the juice. I thought I was an electrician once..... Found out real quick that I wasn't...lol.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #39

Most power centers provide 115/230 volts. If you measure between both hot legs you should get 230 volts. If you measure between each hot leg and neutral or ground you will get 115 volts and if you measure between the neutral and ground you should get no voltage. Actual voltage may be higher or lower because of the demand or the power company's supply voltage but the voltage on each hot leg to neutral should be equal. If they are not the campground supply service may have a problem. However even if you have the correct voltage at your power center you may still may have a serious problem. All volt meters do not place a load on the circuit when measuring voltage so all you need is 1 strand of wire to give you a correct reading but when you put a load on the circuit with a badly corroded neutral you may do great damage to your rig. Without a solid neutral the voltage divides between the resistance on each leg in the trailer on 50 amp services. I have worked on marina power for 23 years and have seen this many times. Under loads you can see voltages such as 180 volts on 1 leg and 50 volts on the other. Either way it will always add up to the supply voltage. Sorry for the long post but that is why a SURGE PROTECTOR IS MANDATORY.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #40
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
Most power centers provide 115/230 volts. If you measure between both hot legs you should get 230 volts. If you measure between each hot leg and neutral or ground you will get 115 volts and if you measure between the neutral and ground you should get no voltage. Actual voltage may be higher or lower because of the demand or the power company's supply voltage but the voltage on each hot leg to neutral should be equal. If they are not the campground supply service may have a problem. However even if you have the correct voltage at your power center you may still may have a serious problem. All volt meters do not place a load on the circuit when measuring voltage so all you need is 1 strand of wire to give you a correct reading but when you put a load on the circuit with a badly corroded neutral you may do great damage to your rig. Without a solid neutral the voltage divides between the resistance on each leg in the trailer on 50 amp services. I have worked on marina power for 23 years and have seen this many times. Under loads you can see voltages such as 180 volts on 1 leg and 50 volts on the other. Either way it will always add up to the supply voltage. Sorry for the long post but that is why a SURGE PROTECTOR IS MANDATORY.
True dat!

TURBS
Sabre owners united!

Tags
50 amp