Old 05-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

50A home pedestal

Does anyone have a dedicated 50A installed at their home for the RV?

What did it cost? Did you DIY any of it?

I'd like to trench and bury the line myself to save on the labor, but def. want a licensed electrician to make the connections to the panel and the pedestal.

What would be better running it out at the main trunk line and underground the whole way (150 l.f. roughly) or running it through the basement and only bury to the pedestal from the house..(45 l.f. indoor, 25 l.f. out roughly).

Old 05-25-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
Site Team

Don't have one (wish I did though) so I can't provide experience.

But let me ask you this, which is easier for you? Indoor or out? For instance, if you have a finished basement, I wouldn't be breaking that up to run a line, I'd pop out right at the panel and run the conduit underground to where I wanted it. If your basement is wide open, hey, choice is yours. The shorter the run though, the less wire you have to buy.

Also, when you have your electrician hook it up, give them this document:

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/50-amp%20Service.pdf

You want to make sure it get's wired correctly and that the don't just make assumptions and do something like leave off the neutral.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Usually Confused Member

I buried 125 feet of six gauge underground wire which was also installed inside PVC. PVC is supposed to be the gray colored stuff (at least the visible part where it goes into and out of the ground). Was able to get lots of good advice from pretty knowledgeable folks on this forum. The wire will be your most expensive portion of the project. Mine ran about $400 total.

Several places have the box shown here

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-100-A...Bproductkey%7D

It’s pre-wired to have two 110, a neutral and a ground at the 50 amp receptacle.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #4

Yeah, I've been just running a 15A extension cord out from the garage the last 3 years...and with our old camper if I put the fridge on propane, and killed the converter at the breaker inside I could run the AC while we were getting ready to leave/returning home and still keep the fridge chilled since we camp so often we typically only shut it down to defrost it once per summer...the new one has a residential fridge, and then both of the AC's are 15K instead of 13.5, plus I'd want to chill off the fridge in the outside kitchen on the 120 circuit too...so that's probably way to much for the 15A in the garage to handle.

Looks like wire cost will definitely be a factor, I'd probably prefer to go all outside, but the basement is unfinished, I'm just not a fan of adding new holes to run something out
Old 05-25-2018, 10:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I buried 125 feet of six gauge underground wire which was also installed inside PVC. PVC is supposed to be the gray colored stuff (at least the visible part where it goes into and out of the ground). Was able to get lots of good advice from pretty knowledgeable folks on this forum. The wire will be your most expensive portion of the project. Mine ran about $400 total.

Several places have the box shown here

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-100-A...Bproductkey%7D

Itís pre-wired to have two 110, a neutral and a ground at the 50 amp receptacle.

Wow that's a behemoth...DW would probably prefer something much lower profile or at least prettier...

I think I was thinking something more like this ... would this work?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-50-Am...-100193650-_-N
Old 05-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCampingDad View Post
Wow that's a behemoth...DW would probably prefer something much lower profile or at least prettier...

My only issue with that one is how do you turn it off when you go to plug in?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
You would have to go to the breaker at the panel, the source turn it off, plug in the camper and run back and turn it on. The behemoth also provides me with "courtesy" NEMA15 outlet. I like breakers on both ends. Keep in mind you do not bond neutral and ground, its essentially a subpanel. I found 6/3 at the electric coop for a phenomenal fee!

WW
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #8
cogito ergo moo

Before you run a 50A, stop and think if you really need 50A. Are you going to actually stay in it, or just wan't power so you can run an air or whatever while you are packing it or whatever? It's MUCH cheaper to run a 30A circuit than a 50.

I have a 50A camper, but I ran a dedicated 30A plug at the house. I can run one air while I am messing around in it, and also pre-cool the fridge and whatever else I need. I have yet to wish I had put in a 50A at home

Tim

P.S. I did mine myself, for around $100. I'm an electrical engineer, so I kinda know my way around that stuff.
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:17 AM   #9

Yes I have one. Licensed electrician installed it. I don't remember what it cost but it was way higher than most would be because it's fed off an auxiliary breaker box and I had to have heavier gauge cable installed to the box. Here's pictorial of what is needed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 50-amp Service.pdf (47.4 KB, 17 views)

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCampingDad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My BIL installed one similar to one of those on the side of his shed (only difference is his was a 30A, not a 50A). But his shed has it's own sub-panel, so for him it's a short 10' or so into the shed to the sub-panel to shut the breaker off.