Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2018, 12:57 PM   #61

I'm the originator of this thread and want to thank everyone for their varied inputs. The suggestion to cut my 50A cable in half to reduce weight of any single cable is something I never thought of and will keep in mind.

For now I will continue with my original plan to use the 30A cord with 30A service whenever possible and use the 50A adapter when 30A service is unavailable. After a couple of 30A campground trips I'm sure I will learn what it takes to trip a 30A pedestal breaker with our trailer and our camping lifestyle. It is just my wife and me and we are consistent campers so I think I can manage the loads. Of course, if it turns out we pop 30A breakers all the time I may go to the suggestion above.
pete100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #62

Ok. I haven’t read all this....
Couldn’t you just get a 15ft cord? Most of the time that is enough...or at least as I have seen. Problem solved for heavy cord.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #63
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Ok. I haven’t read all this....
Couldn’t you just get a 15ft cord? Most of the time that is enough...or at least as I have seen. Problem solved for heavy cord.
Yes it was said a few back but I agree.. KISS....

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete100 View Post
I'm the originator of this thread and want to thank everyone for their varied inputs. The suggestion to cut my 50A cable in half to reduce weight of any single cable is something I never thought of and will keep in mind.

For now I will continue with my original plan to use the 30A cord with 30A service whenever possible and use the 50A adapter when 30A service is unavailable. After a couple of 30A campground trips I'm sure I will learn what it takes to trip a 30A pedestal breaker with our trailer and our camping lifestyle. It is just my wife and me and we are consistent campers so I think I can manage the loads. Of course, if it turns out we pop 30A breakers all the time I may go to the suggestion above.
As long as you don't try to run 2 AC's you should have no problems.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:43 PM   #65

Wise choice, and a safe one when plugged into 30 amp outlet.
If you decide to go with a 25 footer later I suggest you buy one pre-made. Replacement ends are expensive, and not as waterproof.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #66
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyFB38 View Post
Good question.

I know little about the EMS (this will be new to me in our new coach). Here is a section I copied from a manual:

"Midi-PCS automatically senses 0VAC between L1 and L2, and 120VAC between L1 and
Neutral, to determine 30A Service. The I/O Module has a current sensor which monitors total
RV current. When the current exceeds the 30-amp limit, the Midi-PCS will limit current by
shedding appliances that it controls. Once the RV current has dropped, the procedure will be
reversed and power will be restored to the shed appliance."

Interesting! It will not be trivial to wire up the circuits to be shed, and I think there is a limit as to the number of circuits available. Lastly, the EMS is not an actual circuit breaker...my gut is that it should not be used as a surrogate circuit breaker, but as an accessory to a RV currently wired with appropriate circuit breakers.

The type of system you are talking about is actually called Electrical Monitoring System, abbreaviated as EMS. As you said the Electrical Monitoring System monitors the load on your incoming power, if it finds that you are drawing too many amps it will shed appliances. This in my opinion is more a management arrangement because it is managing the load.

Progressive Industries builds a system they call an Elecrtical Management System and it is also known as EMS.

Most people on the forum talk about is this type of system. The PI EMS monitors the incoming power for several problems. Among these problems are over/under voltage, open ground detection, open neutral detection, reverse polarity, mis-wired pedestals, high/low AC line frequency, and surge protection. If it finds any of these problems it disconnects the power from your RV, thus saving your appliances from damage. It only protects the RV from these problems coming up to the EMS. If any of these problems is after the EMS, inside your RV, it does not detect them.

I'm not sure the Electrical Monitoring System monitors for all or some of the same problems. I have seen threads on the forum asking if it is possible to use both systems together.

IMHO, I believe the names should be switched.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer