Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Originally Posted by tanddc View Post
I don't know if it is safe or not (depends on ambient temperature and load) but if you put a conductive metal in the middle of it, it should heat up. Might be fun experiment. Stick a piece of cast iron in the middle an jiffy pop on top.
nothing will happen as the current in the hot will be counter to the current in the neutral. Using the "left hand rule" the currents would cancel each other.

2000 Cherokee 29BH with 6V batteries, LED lights & 400 watts of solar power, flipped axles and raised. 2007 Tundra 5.7L DC-LB with lots of mods. C-co, 8/158th AVN Maint.
RPAspey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Is that cable /cord ever hot or even warm in the bucket ? probably not if its in good shape ...just dont overload it..with too many things running.. all at the same time

2014 Crusader 325 TE....2012.. F 250.. Supercab XLT, 4x2 , diesel....days camped 2011 ... 28.... days camped 2012...115 ... days camped 2013...155...2014...171 and counting
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My 50amp cord lives in a 5 gallon bucket. I've had 2 occasions this year where I've only needed 5 or 6 feet of it. I think I could have easily fished the two ends out of the bucket and only pulled that much cord out.

What I wasn't sure about is if it's OK to use the cord while it is still wrapped up in the bucket? I've never felt it- but I was concerned about heat build up or maybe the electricity getting dizzy (snicker).
Go for it! The cable is rated for 100 amps on 2 phases, you can't draw that much. It will be fine.

VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote