Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #1

50amp to 30 amp dogbone

My TT is 30 amp service. This weekend when I plugged into the parks 30 amp source, their plug looked a little burned and was making my main power cable get very hot. Luckily there was no one in the next space over and I used that 30 amp service with no problem. Question is could I have plugged a 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone into the 50 amp service and ran my unit with no problems? Would I have overloaded my TT's main panel?
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:16 AM   #2

Yes, you could have used the dogbone adapter and probably should have. It you overload the TT circuit it will trip the main breaker.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #3

Yes it would work but in your case I would check the power well before using it. If the 30 amp plug is burnt up no telling what type of shape the 50 amp connection is in.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy38 View Post
My TT is 30 amp service. This weekend when I plugged into the parks 30 amp source, their plug looked a little burned and was making my main power cable get very hot. Luckily there was no one in the next space over and I used that 30 amp service with no problem. Question is could I have plugged a 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone into the 50 amp service and ran my unit with no problems? Would I have overloaded my TT's main panel?
That's what the dogbone adapters are made for. I do it many times, since one of the campgrounds I frequent also has bad/loose 30 amp outlets, being they are used a lot more than a 50 amp outlet.

Your actual TT can draw no more than 30 amps, due to it's main circuit breaker in the travel trailer, and if it functions as it supposed to, would trip if overloaded... thus protecting your travel trailer.

However, since you are plugging into a 50 amp outlet, your tt's power cord would be able to have 50 amps go thru it....since it's now between the 50 amp camp ground pedestal circuit breaker and the travel trailers 30 amp main circuit breaker.

You really shouldn't have a problem with the cord when hooked with the dogbone adapter, especially if you use your trailer as you would have if hooked to a 30 amp outlet. You would have to have your TT's main circuit breaker fail to function, and also have more than 30 amps (but less than 50 amps) worth of things turned on in your trailer, before the cord would have more than 30 amps going thru it.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:59 AM   #5

That is kind of what I thought. I didn't want to keep using the questionable 30 amp outlet and burn my main power cable, but I also didn't want to overload my mains. I guess that is what main breakers are for...lol
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #6

I bought a 30 to 50 just in case I needed to just this, it has not been needed but that is just fine I have it if I need it.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
Yes it would work but in your case I would check the power well before using it. If the 30 amp plug is burnt up no telling what type of shape the 50 amp connection is in.
Keith pointed out something that cannot be emphasized enough if you don't have any kind of electrical management system that will automatically shut power off if something is wrong.

Everyone (and I mean everyone) needs to make it part of their Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) to ALWAYS check an outlet BEFORE you plug into it. Besides burned/loose connections, it can be messed up internally.

It does happen that something may be wrong with a camp ground pedestal or other. You have absolutely no idea what the person before you may have done or messed up.....even qualified electricians.

Learn to use and carry a multi-meter with you. Check the outlet before you plug in.

Here is a good informative site that will show you how to even make plug and play outlet testers, if you don't want to use a multi-meter. Check the tabs on left hand side of the link page.

RV Electric

PLEASE share this information with your fellow campers. It might save you a lot of grief down the road.

P.S: Here's one version of a plug and play 30 amp outlet tester:

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_30amp.htm

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote