Old 04-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #11
larryandamy

30 amp generator to 50 trailer

Sounds like you know a lot more about trailers than I do.
I know electrical from 40 years doing electrical engineering, but I am learning the ropes on how they wire trailers.
Thanks

240VAC would be more efficient but it makes sense to make the AC units 115VAC since not all hookups (at private houses...) provide 240VAC and they would not be usable.

But the 50 amp female to 30 amp male adapters on Amazon should work fine as long as they tie one AC unit to L1/Neutral and the other to L2/Neutral and they would have to do it that way to balance the load.

It may run OK with 5700W generator, but there is no margin for extra loads... especially toaster or microwave...

A 7500W generator would be better sized.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:20 PM   #12

THANK YOU ALL for all the info!!!

I 'assumed' the generator would be plenty to run the entire trailer with no problem, but I have now learned the error of my ways. LOL

The end A/C is over the garage and there is rarely a need to have both units on at the same time and when using the generator, I will simply be aware of the AMP draw on the gen. and only run 1 A/C unit at a time. As for hot water heater, I can use propane only when using the generator. As long as the fridge is on and 1 A/C unit at a time can be used, I am golden!!!

Again, THANK YOU all for the education and help!!! This is one of the greatest forums out there because of the quality people on this forum!!!

ps-looking at a wiring schematic, the frt A/C is 115v off of L1 and rear A/C is 115v off of L2. And going by the breaker panel in the trailer, that makes sense.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:27 PM   #13
Site Team

The generator is a construction generator ( not an inverter generator). You will probably not be allowed to use it in most campgrounds due to noise. Also it may cause problems with some electronics ( tv computer). Not trying to burst you bubble, but just trying to avoid surprises.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The generator is a construction generator ( not an inverter generator). You will probably not be allowed to use it in most campgrounds due to noise. Also it may cause problems with some electronics ( tv computer). Not trying to burst you bubble, but just trying to avoid surprises.

This will be primarily on our farm while our new house is being built and until the new 50amp box gets installed on temp pole. Nearest neighbor is a 1/2 mile away so noise shouldn't be an issue.

Tags
toy hauler, generator