Old 08-22-2016, 08:33 PM   #31
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
IGolf cart batteries reserve capacity numbers are determined in a similar manner but with a 75A load. To compare the reserve capacity of a golf cart battery to a marine hybrid one, the golf cart reserve capacity time needs to multiplied by at least 3, and somewhere between 3.1 and 3.3 may be a better multiplier because there's more losses inside the battery as the current draw rate increases. Phil
Phil, while I agree with most of what you stated, this one rocked me a bit.

This is the first I have seen anything about multiplying 6 volt RC by 3.

In fact the conversion factor between RC and Amp Hours (AH) is well established at 0.4167 times RC.

"Reserve Capacity (RC) is the number of minutes a fully charged battery at 80 o F (26.7 o C) is discharged at 25 amps before the voltage falls below 10.5 volts. To convert Reserve Capacity (RC) to Ampere-Hours at the 25 amp rate, multiple RC by .4167. More ampere-hours (or RC) are better in every case."

Ampere-Hour (or Reserve Capacity) - Pacific Power Batteries - About ...

What is your source to for that new information?

As to the 6 volt vs 12 volt debate, I think this quote from the Battery School at Northwest Batteries is most relevant:

"It would appear that there is no significant difference in capacity and voltage between these two examples. But this really is not the case. The plates designed for the T-105 use the same active material and alloy of the group 27 deep cycle batteries but both the T-105 negative and positive plates are 60% thicker than those found in the deep cycle 27 group sizes. The significance of this is that these 6 Volt batteries should have a longer lifespan than the two deep cycle 27 group sizes, if properly cared for. While the capacities are similar (220 versus 225 Amp Hrs.), battery longevity favors the two 6 Volt batteries. Why? Because a major cause of deep cycle battery failure is the shedding of active material from the battery plates."

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #32
I was at that forum and after I went to him and said I had 2 6v batteries he said something about som would work. Mine have worked in 2 trailers very well. My 2 12 volters gave me more problems if 1 was weak it would draw the other down.

NorSnrub is online now   Reply With Quote