Old 07-18-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

As I understand it, the high voltage pulse forces the deposited sulphates back into solution. Could be they work just as well as magnets on your fuel line, but so far so good.
Still smells like snake oil, but maybe. I have become skeptical, and have not seen credible research that backs this up that isn't produced by someone with a vested interest. Once the sulfate has formed and settled in the bottom of the casing, I think it is chemically impossible to bring it back into solution. But what do I know, I'm only a chemical engineer.

Hey, where are my copper bracelets? they keep me from having heart attacks, or is it arthritis? I forget. Oh yeah, its good for alzeheimers...

Old 07-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Once the sulfate has formed and settled in the bottom of the casing, I think it is chemically impossible to bring it back into solution. But what do I know, I'm only a chemical engineer.
Charging the battery takes lead sulphates from the lead plates and forces it back into solution as ions. Using a higher potential should get stubborn deposits off the plates and back into the electrolyte, but you can't keep a 15 or 16 volt hot shot on very long or the electrolyte will overheat and boil.

Least that is how I understand it. I "was" a Chemist (Villanova University - 1972), minors in physics and math, but have been flying for a living since then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ch27leadacidbattery.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	35700   Click image for larger version

Name:	Discharged.gif
Views:	45
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	35701  
Attached Images

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:48 PM   #13

[QUOTE="kopy kat;424991"]As an after note regarding the pulse factor and sulfates...while discussing the short life of my 6 volts with the Interstate Battery distribution center the manager commented that they store their batteries on racks with pulse systems in order to keep them from building up the sulfates.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:00 AM   #14
Denver, CO

okey dokey. keeping them from sulfating and reversing it, may be different, but maybe not. BSChE; University of Michigan 1975, MPh Environmental and Industrial Health 1984.

Pulsate away, maybe it is the solution after all
Old 07-19-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
okey dokey. keeping them from sulfating and reversing it, may be different, but maybe not. BSChE; University of Michigan 1975, MPh Environmental and Industrial Health 1984.

Pulsate away, maybe it is the solution after all
Like I said, have not "used" the degree for anything except getting into the Air Force (life sucked for pure science graduates in 1972).

The whole "stage" charge concept works on the way the battery construction affects the batteries ability to take a charge (remove lead sulfate from the plate by forcing it back into the electrolyte based on the amount remaining and how deep in the lead the sulfate ion is buried). No generalization is accurate, including this one, but it works for me to understand how charge staging works.

A deeply discharged battery has the lead converted to lead sulfate fairly deeply and it makes sense (to me anyway) that more force (volts) would be needed blast that large sulfate ion off the lead and back in solution. That much voltage would hurt the battery (I would think), if it was applied for any appreciable amount of time, so the unit pulses (with a long off pulse to allow the electrolyte to equalize and cool between hits).

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #16

Correct (as far as I know- which isn't far at all)--that's why the extra thick plates on the 6 volt discharge over a longer period of time- and conversely also take longer to come up to a full 13.2 volt charge level...are we having fun yet?!