Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #1

6 volt batteries replaced after 2 months😟

Both batteries had one cell dead. Tested the WFCO converter per the factory manual and it's putting out the specified 13.68 volts - so I'm wondering what would cause 2 batteries to go bad!?

The dealer that swapped them for me stated that every now and again they see this happen- but they had no idea why either.

Ideas or opinions?.

Thnx, Larry

Old 07-14-2013, 10:27 AM   #2

When your Travel Trailer (TT) is at home do you connect it to a power supply and leave it connected at all time? I did this with mine when I first got it then found out that (supposedly) almost all converter's will burn the 12VDC batteries by overcharging them, and I have two (2) batteries. Supposedly, according to the paperwork for my converter, my converter should only maintain the 12VDC batteries while connected to the RV power supply. NOT! I found out that mine will supply a constant DC voltage supply to the batteries no matter the battery voltage and this will burn them up in a short time. On the advice of a fellow camper and good friend who went through this I have installed a "battery disconnect" at the battery box and I try very hard to disconnect the batteries when I have it parked at home. All of my 12VDC lighting will work from the converter while at home. My truck has the seven (7)-way trailer connector so that when I do connect, the truck charges the batteries while on the way to the next campsite.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopy kat View Post
Both batteries had one cell dead. Tested the WFCO converter per the factory manual and it's putting out the specified 13.68 volts - so I'm wondering what would cause 2 batteries to go bad!?

The dealer that swapped them for me stated that every now and again they see this happen- but they had no idea why either.

Ideas or opinions?.

Thnx, Larry
Very complex question, You could just have bad batteries, or a bad converter.

What camper do you have and to you keep it plugged in, or disconnected? Running a battery WAY down a few times will kill a cell so it cold be that.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:19 PM   #4

O.K., let me say this: I worked for a major auto battery maker for six years. One thing I did learn is "Why do lead/acid batteries start to bulge at the side(s) and stop working"? Lead/acid batteries are built without the tops on them and the initial charge, which is like a "super-charge", is put on them without the tops. This super-charge causes the lead plates to get so hot that the acid will literally boil. After the initial charge batteries are run through equipment which turns the battery upside down so the lead/acid can run out of the battery. A thorough water bath is the next step while the batteries are upside down. When the batteries are initially turned upside down the material that comes out is a dull gray-ish color. This is the result of "sulfation". Sulfation is the chemical reaction of the lead imbedded plates interacting with the sulphuric acid and the electrical charge. When you have a lead/acid battery that is constantly charged, even with the best trickle charger, you will create sulfation. This sulfation, being somewhat lead and heavy, will go to the bottom of each cell that it is generated within. The sulphated lead will build up at the bottom of a cell and create a short between two cells thus creating the bulge you see on one or maybe both sides of a battery. Think of it as the lime that builds up within a water heater as time goes by and shorts out the heating element. The water heater does have water in it so that the heat dissipates, batteries do not have a way for heat to dissipate so the side(s) will get hot and bulge out. Maybe this helps.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #5

Wow! Great info... I wonder if my 1 amp solar panel could have affected the batteries that way- although with them being only a few months old and having used the solar on them only 3 camping trips-- I'm still not sure just what happened.

Larry
Old 07-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Another case for a "De-Sulphator" attached to the bank.

Sealed Lead Acid SLA Scooter Battery Desulfator / Desulphator 6 or 12 volt on eBay!
Attached Images

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:44 PM   #7

Just received my new solar panel with a new type of charge controller that has pulse charge for de-sulfation - can't wait to get it hooked up!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #8
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
O.K., let me say this: I worked for a major auto battery maker for six years. One thing I did learn is "Why do lead/acid batteries start to bulge at the side(s) and stop working"? Lead/acid batteries are built without the tops on them and the initial charge, which is like a "super-charge", is put on them without the tops. This super-charge causes the lead plates to get so hot that the acid will literally boil. After the initial charge batteries are run through equipment which turns the battery upside down so the lead/acid can run out of the battery. A thorough water bath is the next step while the batteries are upside down. When the batteries are initially turned upside down the material that comes out is a dull gray-ish color. This is the result of "sulfation". Sulfation is the chemical reaction of the lead imbedded plates interacting with the sulphuric acid and the electrical charge. When you have a lead/acid battery that is constantly charged, even with the best trickle charger, you will create sulfation. This sulfation, being somewhat lead and heavy, will go to the bottom of each cell that it is generated within. The sulphated lead will build up at the bottom of a cell and create a short between two cells thus creating the bulge you see on one or maybe both sides of a battery. Think of it as the lime that builds up within a water heater as time goes by and shorts out the heating element. The water heater does have water in it so that the heat dissipates, batteries do not have a way for heat to dissipate so the side(s) will get hot and bulge out. Maybe this helps.
GOOD reason for NOT leaving the batts hooked up on FLOAT when not being used. EVERYONE take heed.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Another case for a "De-Sulphator" attached to the bank.

Sealed Lead Acid SLA Scooter Battery Desulfator / Desulphator 6 or 12 volt on eBay!
How does that prevent the gunk from forming on the bottom of the battery RE Thurman's post about batteries.

I continue to be skeptical about these black boxes that claim to prevent/reverse sulfation. Just curious.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
How does that prevent the gunk from forming on the bottom of the battery RE Thurman's post about batteries.

I continue to be skeptical about these black boxes that claim to prevent/reverse sulfation. Just curious.
As I understand it, the high voltage pulse forces the deposited sulphates back into solution. Could be they work just as well as magnets on your fuel line, but so far so good.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote