Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2012, 02:10 PM   #1

Question 6 volt battery maintenance

I have a 2012 36CKTS Touring Cedar Creek. There are 4 six volt batteries inside a tight battery comparment. Last year I took them out during the winter to keep them charged. Is there a way to charge them while remaining in the trailer. I understand the first two batteries support the invertor and the other two batteries provide juice directly to the trailer.
Brewsblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

First off ... Welcome to the forum!!

There are two things you can do. Disconnect the batteries (preferably using a disconnect switch) or use your converter or a separate trickle charger at the trailer. You could also try solar, but I gather you are looking for an easier solution

I would leave them on the 5er and disconnect. They'll last months this way without any harm to the batteries if you disconnect after fully charging the batteries. Mine were at 89% SOC after two months storage last winter.

I prefer to disconnect rather than apply a float charge through the converter because I don't fully trust the WFCO converter in my trailer to not boil the batteries dry. If I were going to leave them charging all winter, I would use a dedicated trickle charger. If you use the 5ers converter, than check the water levels every week or so.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

"The Battery Tender" is my preferred way....
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery