Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #1

6 Volt or 12 Volt Battery?

I believe the standard for most RV dealers is to provide a 12 volt battery for their customer. I was told that two 6 volts are better than one 12 volt if you want longer power for camping off the grid. I have had a lot of battery problems with my two 6 volt batteries, and now I am told that 6 volt batteries are more expensive and require more maintenance that the 12 volt. (12 volt are sealed and 6 volt have to have water added regularly.) Would I be better off with two 12 volts instead of two 6 volts? Looking for less expense, less maintenance, and maximum battery power over a longer time.
Thanks for any advice you can give me.
delaware dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:57 PM   #2

I want to follow this to see what the recommendations are - will make use of the info when it comes time to replace mine.

Only thing I can say, there are sealed 12 volt batteries that don't need water added. There are also ones that need water - mine does. So I carry a bottle of distilled water for it.

I'm aware that there are a number of options. Besides standard and sealed batteries, there are AGM and much more expensive Lithium-Ions. From what I've read, all have benefits and drawbacks....
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #3

The six versus 12 is a great debate. I believe on a rig that has big power demands and an inverter to power a residential frig and such the six volts work better, on the normal rig that does once in awhile extended boon docking I feel the deep cycle 12Vs are a better option. I have two actual deep cycle 12Va on my rig and have never run out of power. both are sealed type of batteries.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #4

Batteries can be very complex but for automotive, rv and marine use are 2 types relevant: so called flooded batteries and sealed batteries, aka AGM batteries. They are not really much different from each other from the user standpoint, flooded batteries can and will lose liquid (acid vapors) over time and need to be replenished with distilled water where AGM batteries are sealed and should not lose vapors. The internals are slightly different but who cares.
Flooded batteries can and will suffer from sulfur buildup over time from evaporation and should be equalized every so often, this sulfur buildup does not happen in AGM batteries because they are sealed.
It does not matter whether it is a 6 Volt or a 12 Volt battery.
However, the big issue is that most rv dealerships supply 1 battery with the trailer which is most often a so called hybrid battery, a battery that is not really suited for constant charging/discharging below 80% capacity and will consequently die prematurely. A true Deep Cycle battery is built to handle these situations much better and will outlive a hybrid or starter battery 5 fold. A deep cycle battery aka as golf cart battery to some is also much more expensive than starter or hybrid batteries.
Proper charging and storing batteries also has an effect on their longevity.
Then there are lithium ion and gel filled batteries but these are not really relevant here.
There are some folks on this forum who are much more knowledgeable than I am but this is it in a nutshell.
I personally have good luck with 6 Volt AGM golf cart batteries, they are more money up front but are nearly maintenance free, last a long time, don't gas off and are therefor corrosion proof.

Edit: AGM battery stands for absorbed glass mat battery.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #5

The difference between 6v and 12v true deep cycle batteries are the 6v have much thicker plates and can handle many more discharge/recharge cycles and are much more severe duty. They are all-around tougher batteries.

Finding a true deep cycle 12v is more difficult, so most of the time people are using 12v "marine" batteries which makes the comparison favoring the 6v even more.

With a decent converter, there is no more maintenance required of 6v batteries than 12v.

I run twin 6v Trojan T105 batteries and a Progressive Dynamics 9270 converter. Other than checking the water once a month, I ignore them for the most part. My iN-Command has a voltage display on it so I can easily tell when they get low. When boondocking, I run the genny once or twice a day for a recharge and a Keurig! [emoji106]
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:57 PM   #6

Yep, I concur with previous posting. Most readily available 12 volt RV batteries are not truly deep cycle and have thinner plates then golf cart 6 volt batteries.

Both 12 and 6 volt batteries can be maintenance free or not...doesn't matter.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:36 AM   #7

My perspective:

Interstate 6V golf cart batteries at Costco ($150 for the pair in 2015) were cheaper than the despised Interstate Marine/RV 12V batteries at any location. True deep cycle 12V batteries were even more expensive. AGM batteries are more expensive than flooded.

What does one get for the extra money?

To get the most from AGM batteries, the charger has to have a different profile - a profile that your stock converter does not have. That's been the drawback to getting the extra performance that AGM batts are capable of - building the full matched system around them. (The same is even more true for Li batteries - the system has to reflect their different characteristics to get all the performance you are paying the extra $$ for).

Given that the PD converter that replaced my stock WFCO is optimized for flooded batteries, going with the cheapest good quality flooded batteries made the most sense. Possibly those that spent twice as much for Trojans will get an extra year of life in additional charge/discharge cycles. I'll just suck it up and replace my Interstates (latest price $160 for a pair at Costco) every 5 years instead of every 6 years for Trojans (realistic average lifespan - some will get more, some will get less).

A good converter with a battery bank sized for usage profile will minimize battery maintenance. I believe I have achieved that balance. I have reduced my demand while dry camping down to 20-25AH per day. I have 232AH 6V GC-2 batteries to carry me for 4 nights without recharging. I don't have to carry a heavy generator and gasoline, or deal with finding sun without wind for solar panels. At the end of 4 days, I'm running out of water and fresh food anyway, and it's time to move on to another site or go home for replenishment. Moving on is very easy with the A-frame.

At home after a trip, I plug in for at least a few days to get everything ready for the next trip. After that, I may remain plugged in with the converter on trickle charge, or just unplug and turn the batteries off with a true disconnect.

My maintenance is limited to checking water level every 3-4 months and converter/battery voltage. I have added water once in 2 years, and I'll top off the batteries with water again this weekend. While camping, I check the voltage daily simply to make sure everything is working as it should.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:09 AM   #8

I believe it all comes down to the Ampere-Hour rating of the battery(ies). I was just up to the DEKA battery plant in Lyons, PA to see about a battery to replace the Grp 27 marine battery the dealer put on my TT. A Group 31 battery with a 20 amp hour rate of 105 / 185 minutes at 25 amps was $185. I thought that was a bit much, especially at the factory but I've purchased many batteries there with no issues; they make great batteries.

I want something to keep DW's CPAP machine running when we are in areas without power. Their Group 27 battery is rated for a 20 amp hour rate of 90 and 175 minutes at 25 amperes. Even this one would keep a CPAP with <5 Amp draw running during the night. (did not get the $ on the Gr 27) I need to weigh out my anticipated requirements versus changing to a larger size, more $ and more space. If I were a boondocker, from all the info I've gleaned from these forums, I think It would go with 2 6-volt batteries for much higher Ah.

2015 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 w/Timbrens
5.3L V8 3.42 Gears Reg Cab 8' Bed
Curt Trunnion WD Hitch
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Waterops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #9

As much as I like Costco, If found that that their 6v GC batteries are not as good as the more expensive ones at Sam's Club. Sams has two different GC batteries, the more expensive ones have thicker lead plates (battery weighs more) than the cheaper Sam's one and equivalent Costco ones.

The Costco battery and the cheaper Sam's Club ones are rated for 207 amphours last time I checked. The more expensive golf cart battery that Sam's carries is 232 amp hours.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
As much as I like Costco, If found that that their 6v GC batteries are not as good as the more expensive ones at Sam's Club. Sams has two different GC batteries, the more expensive ones have thicker lead plates (battery weighs more) than the cheaper Sam's one and equivalent Costco ones.

I recommend buying a known excellent quality battery like Trojan. How much cost savings are we talking about here? I bought two brand new T105 batteries for $250. That included $30 of core charges because I did not have cores to hand in. We're talking $100 per battery here.

Even if Trojan batteries were twice the cost (which I doubt), it would be worth it knowing you are getting one of the best (if not the best) batteries on the market. We are after all wanting them to work when we need them most.

Does that $10 or $20 savings mean anything when you aren't getting the performance you need?
Old 06-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #11

Here are the specs:

EGC2 $117 at Sams Club

20 amp hour rate: 230
5 amp hour rate:174
6 amp hour rate: 178
Battery electrolyte composition: acid
Battery end type: top post
Battery purpose: deep cycle
BCI group size: GC2

GC2 $85 at Sams Club

20 amp hour rate:215
5 amp hour rate:157
6 amp hour rate:156
Battery Electrolyte Composition:Acid
Battery End Type:Top Post
Battery Purposeeep Cycle
BCI Group Size:GC2
Contents:ONE EACH
Freight Class:65
Minutes at 25 amps:395
Minutes at 75 amps:105

Costco Battery: Cost is about $87 at my local Costco
Volts RC @ 75A 105 minutes
RC @ 25A 383 minutes
Ah @ 20Hr. 210
Ah @ 5Hr 175
Old 06-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #12

I don't boondock unless forced to for a night on the road. Therefore I have no need for two 6v batteries. (Sam's Club 6V are made by Dekka JFYI). I have two 12v group 24 Dekka batteries for those rare times that I might need more amp hrs. What I like about 2- 12v is if one should go bad I still have a 12v battery. Your boondocking frequency will determine what's best for you. If you plan to camp frequently without hookups then the 2-6v system would be a better choice. Otherwise even 1 good 12v battery can do what you need.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
What I like about 2- 12v is if one should go bad I still have a 12v battery.

Often stated but misunderstood. If one 12 goes, it takes the other down with it.

Any bad battery wired in parallel with another will take it down. Nothing to do with voltage, but with parallel connection.

Series wiring doesn't do that... but one good 6v doesn't help either.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:12 PM   #14

I have 4 Trojan L16P batteries. They are 6V's each, configured series and parallel to produce a 12V system. They are a bit taller than the 105's but a lot more power. I have had to add distilled water once. I balance them about once every 2 - 3 months. Should be good for about 10 years if properly maintained. I am looking at adding a 600watt solar system to keep them charged.
robertrfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #15

Space requirements will limit you. I wanted 2 6v golf cart battery's but my TT does not have the room. i had to make due with 2 12v group 24. It works for me for lights, pump and some TV/radio use.
I also carry a 2000w inverter gen
Old 06-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmusa View Post
Space requirements will limit you. I wanted 2 6v golf cart battery's but my TT does not have the room. i had to make due with 2 12v group 24. It works for me for lights, pump and some TV/radio use.
I also carry a 2000w inverter gen

I was lucky enough to have room in my existing battery box frame, however due to the height of the golf car batteries I have to remove my propane tanks and mount to remove the batteries. No big deal though since I won't remove them until they die.

I of course needed a new battery box... but at least the frame had room for it.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:18 PM   #17

12 volt or 6 volt batteries

Thanks one and all for all the information and input on the issue of using two 12 volt batteries vs. two 6 volts. I can see there are a lot of variables. I will digest all this and see where I will go from here.
Forest River Forum Rocks

Delaware Dave
Camping with a 2017 Rockwood 23WS pulled by a 2007 Nissan Frontier
delaware dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:13 PM   #18

I see it as not a clear cut answer. As with many things in life, the answer is "it depends".

If you run from serviced site to serviced site, the regular old 12V "marine deep cycle" battery will do you just fine. All you're really using it for is the break away brakes when towing and a "power tank" to run your slides in and out. You should get the full 5-7 years out of it, if maintained properly. They're not really "deep cycle" batteries and despite what the sticker on them may say (sealed for life, maintenance free, etc) if it's a wet acid battery it will need water added at some point of another. If it's got no caps or they are glued down, it just means the OE intendeds for you to replace it when the electrolyte goes low.

If you boon dock a little (or a lot) you're going to likely be better served by the golf cart batteries. Mainly because they are "true" deep cycle batteries and they are designed to be deeply discharged without taking much damage as a conventional flooded cell battery. They also typically "hold out" longer than a single (or double) 12V. At least they do in my trailer.

As far as expense and a single 12V; yup. More for two 6V batteries. No way around it, you're buying two instead of one.

Maintenance? Not really. All flooded cell batteries need water added for various reasons from overcharging, evaporation, etc.

As mentioned, space can be a concern. When my original 12V died ( "marine" deep cycle, 6 years old) I went to two 6V batteries and built a completely new box, sized to the space available on my frame behind my propane tanks:

But I built mine to hold 4 batteries and some electronics. If cost is a concern, then it's probably not for you as you must already have a box of some sort if you have two 6V's already. I've got around 60 bucks in the whole box, but I also had access to the tools I needed to make it myself.

I also "upgraded" my converter to a Progressive Dynamics: 4600 Series Upgrade or Replacement Power Converters

Here's a little snip from the product web site:

• Charge Wizard 4-State charging system built-in.
  • Dramatically increases battery life.
  • This converter/charger will not boil the battery!
  • 55 Amp (PD4655V), 45 Amp (PD4645V) and 35 Amp (PD4635V) models available.
  • The intelligent way to charge and maintain your RV battery.
  • Easy to install.
  • A metal enclosure is included in every package for replacement Parallax/Magnatek 6300 Series or 7300 Series Converter.

If you read the bolded print, this mostly explains why I replaced the WFCO convertor (well, it was acting "sketchy" with its output too).

Since I bought the two new 6V's (IE:$$$), I figured I'd give them the best chance to live and booted the WFCO convertor. BUt Again, it's more money.

So I guess we're right back to "it depends"......

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:49 PM   #19

The one notion I would like to correct is that sealed batteries are AGM.
Most installed sealed batteries are actually wet cells that have additional water and valving in them and are not as good as either a true wet cell of the same size or the equivilent AGM. Their major claim to fame is thaat they need no water and are close in price to a standard wet cell. True AGM's are double or more the price of wet cells but they also do more than simply free you from adding water. They do NOT have more cycle life than a wet cell but they hold a charge better in storage...10x better! And often can be charged more quickly with the right charger.

My view based on a lot of the same info you see in this thread is that:
1. If you don't intend to boondock and you do intend to stay plugged in when you camp...then any battery will do...even dual purpose instead of deep cycle. Get 12V wet cells or even sealed wet cells if you don't want to mess with water.
2. If you only intend to boondock infrequently... get deep cycle wet cells...from a reputable mfr. that uses thick plates ...and yes... there are plenty of true deep cycle batteries in 12V which is what you want a PAIR of. While it is true that one bad battery will pull others down... not all failures are gradual AND with a proper battery monitor you can head things off at the pass sometimes. Nevertheless, lots of folks take their chances with a pair of 6V's which serve well in a deep cycle use AND are more economical than a pair of 12V group31's which come in around the same level of amp hours. I do NOT recommend AGM's for boondocking occasionally as they will have their life shortened unless you are able to properly recharge them to 100% while camping.
3. If you boondock a LOT or have a domestic fridge...you'll be most happy with 4 6V batteries. I again recommend wet cells and AGM's only if you have a solar setup that can take its' time bringing them to 100%.
4. If you place your coach in storage ... the 1-2% loss of charge monthly of an AGM means you can leave them for many months and return to find them in good condition if you charge them and disconnect them. You can safely go about 90 days with a wet cell in the winter without charging and without worrying about freezing.

Different strokes for different folks. Good luck!
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:49 AM   #20

Look at it this way, 2x12v would double your amp/hr capacity. Connecting two six volt batteries in series will only supply the amp/hr rating of one battery. You cannot pass more current through a battery than what it is designed for. Connecting two 12v batteries in parallel doubles the plate area that the load sees. One thing to consider is the charging circuit capacity. If you run the batteries down then it has to have an appropriate charging capacity for the battery charging load. Two discharged twelve volt batteries will take longer to recharge using the standard RV power supply. Hope this helps.
gene4951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 volt, battery