Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2015, 05:15 PM   #1

6v Battery(s) in Rockwood 8289WS

I would like to put two 6v batteries (in series) in my 8289WS. My question is placement. The 5er came with 1 12v battery in a box with a vent hose. How have you mounted yours (and I assume you stayed in the front compartment where the original battery was placed)? How important is the venting? Did you find a single battery mount box that would hold 2 6v's you could vent with the existing tube or did you add a second box and second vent tube?

Any specific battery brand/size recommendations are appreciated although I know there are plenty of posts discussing that subject.

Thanks

----------------------------
2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250
Appalachian Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:44 PM   #2

Appalachian Ed, I put a second 12 volt battery next to the original one in it's own battery box with the vents tied together with a tee. I plan on changing over to 6 volt batteries when my 12 volt batteries die. It did make a huge difference when I added the the second battery and should make a big difference when I go to the 6 volt batteries. I also plan on a solar panel setup down the road. I'm not sure which one yet though because they keep getting better all the time. By the way, the plug I used to tie the batteries together was bought at NAPA.
kcjoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Ed View Post
I would like to put two 6v batteries (in series) in my 8289WS. My question is placement. The 5er came with 1 12v battery in a box with a vent hose. How have you mounted yours (and I assume you stayed in the front compartment where the original battery was placed)? How important is the venting? Did you find a single battery mount box that would hold 2 6v's you could vent with the existing tube or did you add a second box and second vent tube?

Any specific battery brand/size recommendations are appreciated although I know there are plenty of posts discussing that subject.

Thanks
I added a 12v to mine and put it on the opposite end, I wanted to even out the load, still tee them together to vent. If you use wet cell you need a box, other then that you would take the chance of any gases in the compartment which could eat stuff up....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #4

Thanks. Mine is new and the thought of simply adding a second 12v is still running through my mind, then like you Kcjoe1 switching to 6v when they fail. The battery that came with it is a Interstate 24. I hate to purchase a second battery that is not high up on my respect list. It seems like both of yours are holding up well. What brand and type do you have? Have either of you installed an inverter to power a/c devices when not on shore or generator?

2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250
Old 11-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks. Mine is new and the thought of simply adding a second 12v is still running through my mind, then like you Kcjoe1 switching to 6v when they fail. The battery that came with it is a Interstate 24. I hate to purchase a second battery that is not high up on my respect list. It seems like both of yours are holding up well. What brand and type do you have? Have either of you installed an inverter to power a/c devices when not on shore or generator?
I have not and use the interstate. If I was going to install an inverter I would use 6 volt. I'm a so called glamper not a camper. My batteries are 4 years old and after 48 hrs not plugged in I'm still reading betwwen 12.6 and 12.7. I like the 12v system if one go's out I still have power to where with 6 v your just dead in the water. Just my opinion....

Old 11-27-2015, 09:16 PM   #6

One more question. Where did you find the materials to split the venting tube? Is that something I can pick up at Lowes?

2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250
Old 11-27-2015, 09:59 PM   #7

Menard had it here in Minnesota. It was a tee that was made to use with sump pump tubing.
kcjoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #8

Just did this

Hi, I just did this in our Flaggstaff 8528RKWS 5th wheel. First the six volt batteries are taller so you'll have to replace your boxes. I bought generic golf cart battery boxes and modified them to adapt to venting using PVC pipe etc. All of which is available at Lowes or Home Depot. Tubing to attach to the boxes for venting are also readily available. I mounted the 2 boxes side by side in the fron compartment. I then went the distance and bought high quality Trojan Golf Cart 6 volt batteries. What an amazing difference from my dealer supplied 12 volt batteries! Venting is important considering you are sleeping directly above these batteries.
Further we bought a Renogy suitcase solar panel system that works great too. Do a Google for them. Any questions I'd be glad to answer.
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #9

How about your chargers? Do you all use the original factory chargers? The Rockwood 8289ws comes with a 55amp charger. This seems middle of the road from what I am reading. Is this still efficient and is this a "smart charger"? I have not been able to find out from Internet research.

I am leaning towards a hard wired inverter with the transfer switch (no charge, keep using the OEM charger). What inverter do y'all use?

2015 Rockwood 8289WS
2009 Ford F-250
Old 11-29-2015, 01:04 AM   #10

Trojan T-105

Quote:

Thanks
Ed,

I totally agree with another poster about replacing your 12v batteries with 2 6v Trojan Golf Cart Batteries. We seem to have the lowest prices in the country for Trojan Batteries here in the Tampa Bay area. A Master Distributor is next to the St. Pete/Clearwater International Airport. I bought my 6v Trojan T-105s for $105 each. If you get down our way you can some money on your battery purchase. We got ours at:

Recreational Golf Carts
8801 66th St N
Pinellas Park, FL 33782
727-548-8460

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #11

Hi I have a 2010 CC 5th which i changed over to 2- 6v golf cart batteries and it made all the difference. I got a battery box made for 2- 6v end to end..... worked perfect for my location in the CC 5th . vented the new box by cutting out the vent connection on the old 12v box and screwing it to the top of the new box . No need for the y connection for the vent hose. this is a great mod and wish I had done it earlier
Bear
Old 11-29-2015, 01:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynds View Post
Hi I have a 2010 CC 5th which i changed over to 2- 6v golf cart batteries and it made all the difference. I got a battery box made for 2- 6v end to end..... worked perfect for my location in the CC 5th . vented the new box by cutting out the vent connection on the old 12v box and screwing it to the top of the new box . No need for the y connection for the vent hose. this is a great mod and wish I had done it earlier
Bear
That's interesting:

Old 11-30-2015, 05:22 PM   #13

Placement is not of any concern for the batteries, as for venting "VERY IMPORTANT" with the gasses coming out of the batteries all the time while charging, and all the electric wiring and relays and controls that run all over RV's there is to many issues with (explosions) which is why they are vented!
If you are going to move the batteries to a different location also be aware of the length of cable as you might need to upgrade the cables, there is a good amount of power going through the cables, so you need to remember that also.
Hope this helps Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 PM   #14

Batteries.

If venting your batteries is a potential problem, you might want to give AMG batteries a thought. I have 5 AMG batteries and don't have to worry about venting them. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to know I'm not corroding away my frame or going to blow it up when I turn my inverter on. Just a thought. They ARE more expensive.
I stuck with the 12vdc bats as a personal preference over the 6vdc units.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
If venting your batteries is a potential problem, you might want to give AMG batteries a thought. I have 5 AMG batteries and don't have to worry about venting them. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to know I'm not corroding away my frame or going to blow it up when I turn my inverter on. Just a thought. They ARE more expensive.

I stuck with the 12vdc bats as a personal preference over the 6vdc units.

Absorbed glass mat.

AGM
Old 12-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #16

AGM batteries still require venting in case of an overcharge condition. They vent at 2-3 psi. In other words they do not need venting EXCEPT when you really need venting because something has gone wrong. Hydrogen gas is easy to vent, mixes readily with air so you don't heed a big vent but you need one. Overcharged conditions are usually accompanied with heat and an electrical problem which is probably when you don't want a confined explosive gas.
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, rockwood