Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #1

7 Wire Cable

OK, so last time out last fall, I dragged my 7 wire cable (the one that connects the TV to the Trailer). I dragged the cable, and damaged some of the wires. I was ready to buy a new cable from eTrailer, but watching their how-to video, he cut the cable off and connected the new one using crimp-on butt fasteners. And I thought, I only really need to replace about 8" of cables, so, I cut the cable and reconnected all 7 wires using a crimp-on for each and matching it color for color.

So, after testing it, the night time lights work, but I still don't have turn signals. And haven't tested the brake lights.

But for the turn signals, what is the next likely thing to check?

comish4lif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #2

I would check first to make sure turn signals are working in the tow vehicle, if not it is probably a blown fuse. If they are working, take a test light and work backwards to the junction box at the tongue then to the tail lights at the rear to see if you have power.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
I would check first to make sure turn signals are working in the tow vehicle, if not it is probably a blown fuse. If they are working, take a test light and work backwards to the junction box at the tongue then to the tail lights at the rear to see if you have power.
All the signals on the tow vehicle are working fine. What do you mean test light? Checking the outlets inside the trailer?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirsea View Post
In addition to what Sirsea suggested, I would also check the 7 connections you made to make sure they are tight & secure.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
In addition to what Sirsea suggested, I would also check the 7 connections you made to make sure they are tight & secure.
OK, so, let me add some more information, when it first happened, I stripped away some of the bad wiring and spliced it with some wire nuts, and it was the same issue, some of the lights worked. I assumed that my patch job wasn't good enough, which is why I considered replacing the cable, and have now patched it with crimp-ons.

Is there a fuse in the trailer associated with the brake lights, etc. I can see all the feuses and breakers for the A/C, fridge, inside outlets, etc. BUt is there a second fusebox (on a '09 2306) for the driving lights?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #6

A "Test Light" or "Volt/Ohm meter" is a basic tool in troubleshooting 12v electrical problems. (should be in every tool box) You can get one at any auto supply store or Walmart. Use it to probe the pins on your tow vehicle socket to make sure you are getting power there. If all checks OK then connect the trailer cable and follow it to the junction box (usually on the side of the trailer tongue). Again, probe the connections to see if you get power from the turn signal. Make sure the ground connector is clean and tight. If you get power there, proceed to the tail light and probe there for power when the turn signal is operating. (assume you have checked the bulbs and they are good). Somewhere along this line you will find the problem, usually a loose wire or ground. Also do an on-line search for "7 pin connector" and you will get a diagram showing the function of each pin so you know which one is L-R turn signal.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Each wire in that cable is protected by a separate fuse IN THE TRUCK. These fuses are NOT the same as the truck's fuses.

For example, this is the Sierra:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2008-03-09_121855_2003-Sierra-Trailer-Wiring-Connector-Sch.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	28652  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote