Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #1

921 Bulb Removal

Okay, how do you get these damn things out? There has to be a hundred people laughing after reading this.

How hard do you have to pull to get them out? It feels like I am going to rip it out of the ceiling. I believe in "if you are pulling too hard, you're pulling too damn hard". From pictures the bulb just seems to be the glass with a wedge type seat. From the picture below, I did pull the plastic casing from the ceiling mount and you see a wire, so thats not it. Is there a technique in removing them?

The fixture looks like this...

Gregg Willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:58 AM   #2

You should be able to grasp the glass part itself and pull straight out. All the plastic parts in your pic should stay put. It is tight but it shouldn't be THAT tight!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:39 AM   #3

Okay thanks! That is what I thought but I was getting worried about separating the glass bulb from the plastic fixture. It seems really tight though. Its winter of course and Northern Minnesota temps may be playing games with it. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

One tip that should be emphasized is to make sure the bulb is OFF when you pull it straight out.
The bulb will be damaged by cooked skin that will be stuck to the bulb.

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #5

I'm not laughing because the same thing happened to me on my last trailer. Remember, you're just pulling out the glass part. They were real buggers to remove. I had to tug, move side to side, twist, all while trying not to put too much pressure so as to break the glass. They eventually came out.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Site Team

I only had to replace one bulb and had the same challenge. It was so tough I even considered not using the stove light as I watch a bit of TV before bed. In the end I decided I just needed to get used to it.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #7

I got them out. Some came out with ease while others were a bit of a pain. Just kind of felt that the glass was going to crush within my fingers.

Now that I know how to remove these lights, its time to change them over to LED
Old 12-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #8

Has anyone replace their 921 lights with led lights? We only have one battery on our Windjammer 3001w and those little buggers really draw the juice. Also has anyone added a second battery to their Windjammer and if so where? I am thinking behind the tounge jack by adding a two battery tray. Any info appreciated

Sonoradennis
sonoradennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #9

Sonoradennis,

Both of your questions, LED and dual battery, are heavily discussed on this forum. Searches for 'LED' and 'dual battery' will give you at least a few days of reading. Popular discussions trust me

But for your first question, many on this site have replaced their 921's with LED's. Again, a popular search topic. All kinds of info.

And almost everyone wants a dual battery for more 'dry time' camping. Lots of good ideas here. And again, another very popular search topic.

I know you will find what you are looking for. I'm new on the site as well and welcome.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #10

The only solution that I can see for a dual battery system is to have them stacked somehow. If you were to install them side by side you would be overhanging and it would make it hard to make a sharp turn in reverse.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
The only solution that I can see for a dual battery system is to have them stacked somehow. If you were to install them side by side you would be overhanging and it would make it hard to make a sharp turn in reverse.
On my 221rbxl I could not stack them. The front panel curves into the a-frame. I've seen some custom boxes that hold two batteries but I never thought of problems with hard turns. I would think propane tanks may get in the way first, but I suppose their closer to the hitch.

Some relocate to the garage and install quick-disconnects as well. I know I would like to do that mod.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #12

The propane tanks on a Windjammer are behind doors at the front of the trailer (inside the V). The battery is located between the V front of the trailer and the jack post. If you were to mount the batteries side by side they would extend over the frame of the trailer.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:46 PM   #13

Hello Greg - from south central Mn. Watching the snowstorm pummel Iowa tonight. Looks like we will be on the very northern edge of the snow.

I have the same wedge 921 bulbs. I thought I had broken the bulb the first time I pulled it out of the plastic shoe. I will be replacing them with LEDs next summer. Our Mini Lite has room for dual batteries and I have two installed.

Welcome to the forum. Always interesting reading.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGus View Post
Hello Greg - from south central Mn. Watching the snowstorm pummel Iowa tonight. Looks like we will be on the very northern edge of the snow.

I have the same wedge 921 bulbs. I thought I had broken the bulb the first time I pulled it out of the plastic shoe. I will be replacing them with LEDs next summer. Our Mini Lite has room for dual batteries and I have two installed.

Welcome to the forum. Always interesting reading.
Thanks for the hello!

Yeah, snow went south which is fine. We want more ice! Then let it rip.

I Googled your 2109S. Nice!