Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

A/C Electrical question

I am a new owner of a 2010 Rockwood 8265WS fifth wheel. The unit is well maintained, we are getting ready to take our first trip over Labor Day weekend in Williams AZ.
My question is related to the A/C portion of the rig.
I have reset all the breakers, the main 30 amp, the sub 20 and 15 amp breakers also.
I still don't have voltage at the recepticles. The Microwave also does not have voltage. I removed the Microwave and plugged into an extension cord, and it worked.
The CD/AM/FM unit has power and works, the television appears to have power (I still haven't had time to get a picture on the TV yet.)
It almost feels like there is some upstream fuse or something between the shore power cord and the A/C panel that is preventing me from getting voltage...
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Bob

Old 08-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpetty View Post
I am a new owner of a 2010 Rockwood 8265WS fifth wheel. The unit is well maintained, we are getting ready to take our first trip over Labor Day weekend in Williams AZ.
My question is related to the A/C portion of the rig.
I have reset all the breakers, the main 30 amp, the sub 20 and 15 amp breakers also.
I still don't have voltage at the recepticles. The Microwave also does not have voltage. I removed the Microwave and plugged into an extension cord, and it worked.
The CD/AM/FM unit has power and works, the television appears to have power (I still haven't had time to get a picture on the TV yet.)
It almost feels like there is some upstream fuse or something between the shore power cord and the A/C panel that is preventing me from getting voltage...
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Bob
Bob,

Check to see if there is a GFCI outlet tripped somewhere. Mine is in the Bathroom and it controls the whole kitchen.

Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79 Nights Camped 2018 4 nights reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #3

First - Sometimes circuit breakers trip but do not click over and appear to still be latched, it is necessary to move them completely to the open position then closed.
Second - look for one or more Ground Fault Outlets that are usually positioned in or near
the kitchen and bath area.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #4

GFCI reset

Thanks SYE and Joenic53...
I did find a GFCI recepticle in the bathroom, it had a red light, I tripped the test button and reset, the red light came back on... I kick myself now for not testing for voltage at THAT recepticle after that... for some reason I ASSUMED it was energized...may be a mistake on my part. I store the fifth wheel at a storage yard about three miles from my home in Phoenix, so I can't test as the storage yard doesn't have electricity available. I also agree on the "resetting" of circuit breakers, need to take them full travel to the "off" position then fully on...
I wonder if perhaps the red light on the bathroom recepticle is telling me it is energized, or it has a problem? the GFCI tripped and reset ok, or at least appeared to work properly...
Thanks for the quick reply!
Bob
Old 08-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #5

If the GFCI tripped when you "tested"'it, that says you have power to the RV. My guess is that the GFCI is bad.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #6

GFCI's can't reset unless there is power available to the breaker, you might want to invest in a circuit tester similar to this Shop IDEAL Analog Voltage Detector at Lowes.com.

HTH
Old 08-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #7

Can I assume that replacing a GFCI on a fifth wheel is the same as replacing a GFCI in my home?
In other words, do I have to buy a special receptacle for RV only or Home Depot version ok?
Thanks for all your help.
I also think I will look at the possibility of the receptacle where the Micro wave plugs in may be faulty... it didn't have any burn marks or smell like it had burnt, but may get one just to be sure.
Bob
Old 08-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #8

It is the same as used in your home, Lowes or Home Depot stocks them. Good Luck.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #9

Do you own a multi-meter? This may be a good time to buy one if you need to. No point in replacing that GFCI if its good.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpetty View Post
Thanks SYE and Joenic53...
I did find a GFCI recepticle in the bathroom, it had a red light, I tripped the test button and reset, the red light came back on... I kick myself now for not testing for voltage at THAT recepticle after that... for some reason I ASSUMED it was energized...may be a mistake on my part. I store the fifth wheel at a storage yard about three miles from my home in Phoenix, so I can't test as the storage yard doesn't have electricity available. I also agree on the "resetting" of circuit breakers, need to take them full travel to the "off" position then fully on...
I wonder if perhaps the red light on the bathroom recepticle is telling me it is energized, or it has a problem? the GFCI tripped and reset ok, or at least appeared to work properly...
Thanks for the quick reply!
Bob
Glad you found it and it SAS something simple and free!!!

Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79 Nights Camped 2018 4 nights reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical